5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!
Published 19 months ago by Jazzy

3.0 out of 5 stars On Odd Book with Layers of Meaning
Published on March 25 2011 by Crayonmonster

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, Dec 9 2012
This review is from: Monkey Beach (Paperback)
Monkey Beach is really good. Especially the quality it came in was incredible. I really connected to the novel even though I am not native or know the native religion. I believe that anyone can fall for the novel if they keep reading none stop, sometimes it is confusing, but it's easy to understand the literature if you have a low vocabulary spend (like me). Anyone could read this and I really recommend reading this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing and real, Dec 29 2005
Maria (Queen Charlotte Islands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monkey Beach (Paperback)
Being familiar with the region, I found this book really rung true in terms of the culture and mystique of the northwest coast. The story captures and engages you. I read it 3 years ago and I still think about it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jo P., April 4 2012
This review is from: Monkey Beach (Paperback)
Lisa, a tough chick, sets out to find her lost brother and there's nothing anyone (or anything) can do to stop her.
Jimmy, Lisa's brother, has set out on a fishing boat and has failed to return although Lisa just knows that she can find answers on Monkey Beach, a place where the supernatural lurks in the shadows. The plot is not linear, but rather goes back and forth through her past and present. Through the stories that she shares about her past, the relationships she had with her Ma-ma-oo and her Uncle Mick take center stage and serve to encourage her spirit and the connection she has with the spirit world. This connection helps her in searching for her brother, however Robinson does not spend as much time on the plot as she does on characterization. The main bulk of the book is spent on her memories which transport the readers to her childhood in Kitamaat, on the western shore of B.C. where she encounters domestic abuse and alcoholism to when she suffers it herself in Vancouver. This book illustrates many painful issues which obscures the main plot of her brother's whereabouts.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, so will you, Sept. 12 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Monkey Beach (Hardcover)
I don't usually like coming of age stories about teenage shenanigans but these teenagers are truely original as is the beautiful Northwestcoast setting. I revelled in bays and inlets full of killer whales, and seals, and birds, and ghosts that whisper through the trees, really atmosphereic. My prior knowledge of Northwestcoast Indian mythology and art gave it an added dimension. Read and enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Quiet Gem of a Novel, Jan. 22 2001
Debbie Lee Wesselmann (the Lehigh Valley, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monkey Beach (Hardcover)
Eden Robinson has written a quietly engrossing novel about life on the coast of British Columbia, in the small Haisla town of Kitamaat. Lisa Marie (named after Elvis Presley's daughter) has a gift: she can see spirits, even if she does not understand them. Most troubling, she is visited by a little man with red hair who seems to appear at night in her bedroom just before disaster strikes. But this novel is not about Lisa and her visions of Sasquatchs and talking crows; MONKEY BEACH is about the tender bonds forged in life. Her beloved brother Jimmy has disappeared at sea, and the family can only wait for news. Lisa finds herself looking backwards for answers - in the deaths of her favorite uncle Mick and her grandmother, and in her own and her brother's lives. Through these extensive flashbacks, we begin to understand not only the significance of Jimmy's disappearance but also those he has left behind.
Although I found the ending vaguely disappointing, I enjoyed reading this skillful account of a Haisla family. You can count Eden Robinson in with the more famous names of Louise Erdrich, David Treuer, Susan Powers, and Leslie Marmon Silko as an honest portrayer of First Nation life. Her talents are rich and varied, so I expect to see many more books from her in the future. Readers of literary fiction won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, April 13 2011
This review is from: Monkey Beach (Paperback)
I was first introduced to this book in University. I then read it at lesiure. This story has layers upon layers of meaning. It transported me to another dimension, yet was so great in that it is also part of our heritage. It is real and gutsy. I would highly recommend this read. It leaves you mesmerized. I also read that Eden Robinson faced persecution as a result of her writing about the spiritual beliefs of the First Nations people of the Pacific Coastal region. I think that this is a gift to be able to see a glimpse of tradition that is both mysterious and compelling.

3.0 out of 5 stars On Odd Book with Layers of Meaning, March 25 2011
This review is from: Monkey Beach (Paperback)
Although on the surface it seems like a simple coming-of-age story, Monkey Beach by Eden Robinson, has layers of meaning. Native lore and beliefs are tied into the modern day setting, such as the big-foot character called the B'gwus, who shows up during important moments. As well there is a theme of family including the good and bad aspects common to every family. The past is an integral part of this book, flashing back to important events that have caused ripples in the lives of the characters and carried them to their current state. An interesting read, Monkey Beach also delves into the magic of the natural world in its character studies.

I enjoyed this book but found it to be a little bit crude in its writing and dull in its story development. I felt that some points were hammered home, while others remained elusive.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read....., April 25 2005
Claire Lemieux Hope "hopereader" (Montreal, Qc, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monkey Beach (Paperback)
Excellent book. I read this book in a few nights and could not put it down. I finished reading it last night and could not go to sleep for about two hours. I was still thinking about the main characters and the reality of living on a Native Indian reserve. The BC coast and Native Indians are so well describe that I often forgot that this story was fiction and not a real event. Can't wait for this author's next book. I will definitely read this book again and again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bigfoot at the Powwow, May 30 2001
Lee Armstrong (Winterville, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monkey Beach (Hardcover)
Eden Robinson's first novel is as intriguing as it is fun. The greatest strength was the detail with which she fleshes out each character, even those more minor characters. Her brother Jimmy, her friends Frank, Pooch and Cheese, her cousin and grandmother, even Spotty the crow has a personality! The incidents seem almost real-life like the father's ill-fated attempt to raise chickens. These are characters who grow on you and stay with you. The setting in Canada among the Indian population is fresh; and Eden mines the pastoral description to give a real sense of place in the book. The mystical aspects of the story are intriguing, the forboding little red-haired man that shows up and sits on the dresser. I was a bit confused by the ending, but I have my theory which I will grace you by NOT sharing here! Read the book to see! I think you'll find universal appeal, individuality, and certainly enough suggestion to keep you glued to the page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Monkey Beach Will Captivate You, May 15 2001
f t barrett (Chico, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Monkey Beach (Hardcover)
Monkey Beach by Eden Robinson begins at the end and opens up to take you on a spirally path of a few days' journey that stretches over a child's lifetime. Before you know it, you are connected to the family and the village of Haisla people, and you get a first-hand observation of this family and their tangled lives. The language Robinson uses, skillfully raw, but always making its point felt, gives you an intimate sense of the culture of the book's inhabitants. It is a story well-told, deeply moving, highly absorbing, and alive every moment. It is a treat to those of us who grew up in a different world to learn about a culture, not so unlike the rest of North America, yet with its own disfunctions and foodstuffs and myths. It is also a treat to have such a fine writer as Eden Robinson take her story and give birth to it in print to share it with us. I appreciate the other-world connection and Robinson's use of it as real, tangible. My favorite line in the book is: "As I drove away, I felt deeply comforted knowing that magical things were still living in the world."

Monkey Beach
Monkey Beach by Eden Robinson (Paperback - Jan. 9 2001)
CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.16