boutiques-francophones Learn more biss snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: PaperbackChange

on November 20, 2015
GOOD READ
on October 18, 2015
I was born and raised in Kitimat. Was a trip down memory lane for me. But also was a great quick easy read.
on October 1, 2015
This was a fantastic read! An original Aboriginal gothic story.
Insight into the beautiful, scary, spiritual and physical journey of an Indigenous girl trying to find her brother lost at sea and what it means to be Haisla woman. I think this book is important to west coast indigenous history and draws on such intimacy that you won't forget it.
on July 14, 2015
good book
on April 27, 2015
still gotta read...came quickly tho
on November 14, 2014
The characters in this book jumped off the page - beautiful, evocative of the BC coast, full of mystery and intrigue and spirits..I couldn't put it down, and as soon as I did I wanted to read it again.
on September 28, 2014
I enjoyed every aspect of this story, a subject which I rarely read about. The descriptions elicit such visual presence. Definitely recommended.
on December 9, 2012
Monkey Beach is really good. Especially the quality it came in was incredible. I really connected to the novel even though I am not native or know the native religion. I believe that anyone can fall for the novel if they keep reading none stop, sometimes it is confusing, but it's easy to understand the literature if you have a low vocabulary spend (like me). Anyone could read this and I really recommend reading this!
on April 4, 2012
Lisa, a tough chick, sets out to find her lost brother and there's nothing anyone (or anything) can do to stop her.
Jimmy, Lisa's brother, has set out on a fishing boat and has failed to return although Lisa just knows that she can find answers on Monkey Beach, a place where the supernatural lurks in the shadows. The plot is not linear, but rather goes back and forth through her past and present. Through the stories that she shares about her past, the relationships she had with her Ma-ma-oo and her Uncle Mick take center stage and serve to encourage her spirit and the connection she has with the spirit world. This connection helps her in searching for her brother, however Robinson does not spend as much time on the plot as she does on characterization. The main bulk of the book is spent on her memories which transport the readers to her childhood in Kitamaat, on the western shore of B.C. where she encounters domestic abuse and alcoholism to when she suffers it herself in Vancouver. This book illustrates many painful issues which obscures the main plot of her brother's whereabouts.
on April 13, 2011
I was first introduced to this book in University. I then read it at lesiure. This story has layers upon layers of meaning. It transported me to another dimension, yet was so great in that it is also part of our heritage. It is real and gutsy. I would highly recommend this read. It leaves you mesmerized. I also read that Eden Robinson faced persecution as a result of her writing about the spiritual beliefs of the First Nations people of the Pacific Coastal region. I think that this is a gift to be able to see a glimpse of tradition that is both mysterious and compelling.