5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Recipes So Far
Published on Oct. 7 2005 by KM

2.0 out of 5 stars I expected more
I am a fan of Nigella, and this book will not change my mind, but I don't believe that she even thinks this is one of her finest works. The recipes are so laden with fat and sugar and there are way too many meat recipes, not enough diversity. I did not want to be the first to write a review, but here goes. Does anyone else agree? Am I the first to diss Nigella?
Published on Nov. 24 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Recipes So Far, Oct. 7 2005
KM (Edmonton, Canada) - See all my reviews
I've had this book for almost a year, and have tried a number of the recipes. The ingredients are found in the average kitchen, and the instructions are straight-forward and clearly outlined. Potential purchasers need to be aware that she states temperature settings only in gas or Celcius, but if you have a caluclator you can easily convert to Farenheit. Of course, if you happen to have a newer oven it might even do the conversion for you. I also enjoy reading some of the British phrases, such as "tipping" (pouring) batter into a "tin" (baking pan)... it makes for interesting reading! I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys cooking and wants to add a useful book to their cookbook collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars A cookbook worth investing in, Dec 16 2004
As someone who has a lot of cookbooks, I must admit that I really do love this particular one. I especially love the fact that she gives 2 recipes for roasted turkey, 2 recipes for ham's and many other wonderful culinary treasures destined to be traditional fair for many people. The only reason why I did not give it a full 5 stars, is that in all honesty, Nigella Lawson did include recipes from her previous books. Too many for my own liking, but on the other hand it did not deter from all the new recipes given. Some of those recipes, like the Ham cooked in Coca cola included in book 1 and 3, did appear in this new installement, but it was modified enough to make it almost a brand new addition. Other recipes, for example, I have compared the chocolate cake recipe given in book 3, and the new one of "Feast" and I have concluded that they are different. So all in all, you are getting value in the pages. I would deffinitly recommend it for people as gifts, or for themselves.
In response to the first review, I would like to quote the author of this book as saying "My view on vegeterianism is much like my view on excercise, that it's all well enough and good just as long as someone else is doing it." (Please bear with me, as I'm relying on memory for this quote, so your more than welcome to look it up, I believe it was written in the first chapter of Christmas and Thanksgiving). I think that line does a very good job in telling us why there are simply not that many vegeterian recipes (or so many meat recipes) in this particular book.
Again, it's all about personal tastes. I am looking foreward to trying to Super Juicy Turkey, gingerbread stuffing, chocolate gingerbread, etc. Reading "Feast" really makes me enthusiastic about cooking, and really, isn't that one of the purposes of a good cookbook?

5.0 out of 5 stars NIGELLA HAS DONE IT AGAIN, Dec 21 2004
I have read all Nigella's books (with the exception of Forever Summer) and have found them both helpful reference books and fascinating reading.
Feast is a book about celebration, abundance, and communion in the literal sense of the word, after all, what is a feast without people? Nigella amply displays her giving nature, her fixation with giving to others the thing which gives her so much pleasure...food. At the same time she clearly demonstrates her selfish and culinary dark side by admiting to solitary feasts (or indeed a deux) in the bedroom and one can only be amused at such an admission.
This book is about the richness of life, decadence, indulgence almost epicurianism, evocative of bygone traditions, it isn't for the health concious nor for vegetarians as previously pointed out. I agree with Nigella on this one...given the abundance of wonderful vegetables and diversity of their flavours and textures, why try and make them into "meat substitutes" by fiddling and sprauncing? Nigella is by no means "anti-vegetarian" and evidently understands that some of her guests will not want to eat meat, so, let them eat vegetables since her groaningly overfilled table will clearly contain an abundance of these.
Nigella is obviously about richness and not for the low fat cook, however, I have never known anyone not to be able to make a lower fat version of anything, unless they are trying to be difficult. Personally (and I shall probably be shot down in flames by some for this) I have never yet seen a low fat vegetarian FEAST.
I love this book and recommend it as both a helpful kitchen aid and wonderful bedside reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Feast for the palate and the eyes!, Dec 9 2004
Rue (Kelowna, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
I disagree with the first reviewer. The book is aptly titled "Feast", meaning just that. Nigella not only presents traditional feast menus from different cultures, she educates the reader on the diverse customs and traditions, and in doing so rekindles the readers own memories. Throughout the ages, celebrations were always marked by serving meat, and rich and elaborate dishes both sweet and savoury. Such feasts were always indicative of abundance, affluence and celebration!
If you're looking for a book with low-cal/fat/sugar, vegetarian recipes, you've missed the whole point of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars More slurpy-lurpy, sloopy-loopy from the gorgeous Nigella, May 21 2009
Calgary Book Worm "Jane" (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Feast: Food That Celebrates Life (Paperback)
Lovely book - loads of glorious photos, and entertaining dialogue, as well as a good mix of easy and more challenging recipes. Something for everyone and every occasion in this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nigella's feast, Dec 25 2004
liz thomson (Victoria, Canada) - See all my reviews
Yum, just got this for Christmas. Only two quibbles so far. One, unlike my edition of How to Eat and How to be a Domestic Goddess this one is all in weights. Bother. I wish they would either be bilingual so to speak, or be in volumes for the North American market. I lived in England for years and never could get to grips with weights. No. 2 gripe is that I wish she wasn't so dismissive of vegetarian food. I don't eat meat, and don't begrudge her her beast. I'd like to see her give it a go.
Other than that, her writing is great as always, comfy, yet to the point. Nigella is always relateable, and I like that. The recipes mostly look great, though a few more hmms than usual (sweet potatoes with marshmallow - eeewwww). Hopefully deep fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches are not forthcoming. Finally, it was good to see her have a few more Jewish recipes. She always seems deeply (and puzzlingly) closeted about this.

2.0 out of 5 stars I expected more, Nov. 24 2004
By A Customer

Feast: Food That Celebrates Life
Feast: Food That Celebrates Life by Nigella Lawson (Paperback - Sept. 11 2006)
CDN$ 39.95 CDN$ 25.04