4.0 out of 5 stars Triumphant story of love and sacrifice.............
Mary Lawson's debut novel is an astounding accomplishment.
Published on June 12 2003 by jeanne-scott

3.0 out of 5 stars A shaggy-dog tale writ long.
Apropos in light of the title of this review, not far into reading the novel my hackles went up...and they basically stayed there for the duration of the book. There was something in the narrator's tone, the 'Wait until you see how this all turns out' way things were put that disturbed me. Because a) it was incredibly risky, b) it seemed cheap and c) it had me wondering...
Published on Oct. 24 2008 by Schmadrian

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Triumphant story of love and sacrifice............., June 12 2003
This review is from: Crow Lake (Paperback)
Mary Lawson's debut novel is an astounding accomplishment.
Crow Lake is the triumphant story of a family that is devastated by the loss of both parents in a tragic accident, but held together by love and sacrifice. The characters are wonderfully defined. The different aspects to their characters are polished like river worn stones, displaying a strength and natural beauty viewed only by those that take the time to really look. Mary Lawson takes life in a small farm village and pieces it carefully together crafting this beautiful story that centers on the life of a young woman learning that what she believes to be important in life does not necessarily hold true for her siblings. It explores the sacrifices made in love and the strength of character that evolves. It is an emotional coming of age story that pulls at your heart and opens your eyes to the happiness and joy people find in their lives in unexpected places.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Novel, May 27 2002
Elizabeth Hendry (New Jersey USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CROW LAKE (Hardcover)
Mary Lawson's Crow Lake is a wonderful novel, a work that will blow away all expectations of what it really is all about. The novel, which is narrated by Kate, a scientist in her late twenties, begins with the death of both of Kate's parents in a car accident, an accident which leaves Kate and her three siblings orphans. I know what you are thinking--sounds like Oprah, sounds predictable, we see where this is going. Well, it's none of those things and it will take you some place else. Lawson delves into the depths of family relationships, of familial expectations and love. One of the things that makes this book different is Kate's narrative style. We follow the story of what happened after her parents were killed, as that story somehow collides with her present story. She has been invited back to Crow Lake, doesn't know if she can handle it, doesn't know if she should take her current boyfriend. Her current predicaments are all caused by what happened to her family so many years ago and it's fascinating and thought-provoking. Mary Lawson has given us a terrific novel, an engaging read. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars a worthwhile read, July 1 2004
This review is from: Crow Lake (Paperback)
Crow Lake was a book everyone was talking about so finally I got it and read it, and I wished I had not waited so long. This is a beautifully written book about family, loss, and love. The heartbreaking story of four children left on their own after their parents die is interwoven with the reminiscences of the older daughter, Kate, after she has grown up, moved from her Northern Ontario home, and become a professor.
Far from wanting to "slap" the protagonist for her emotional coldness (as one reviewer suggests), I could really empathize with how the grief and lost dreams of Kate's past have affected her and how long it takes for her to make peace with things her brothers have dealt with long ago. Lawson understands that life crises actually do hurt and traumatize people--yet they can still heal and find peace even if their childhood ideals are not realized, and even if that resolution takes time.
I found this book quite inspiring and written with real grace and simplicity.

5.0 out of 5 stars NEW AUTHOR MARY LAWSON A NAME TO REMEMBER, March 14 2002
This review is from: CROW LAKE (Hardcover)
A Literary novel emerging from a first-time writer is an event to cherish. Mary Lawson is destined to make a splash with her excellent grasp of novel craftsmanship in this, her first attempt at casting her line over the water.
There is fine characterization:
'Mrs. Stanovitch arrived at least twice a week, heaving her bulk out from behind the steering wheel of her husband?s battered truck and puffing up the steps to the front door with two loaves of bread balancing on the top of a bushel basket of corn, or a leg of pork tucked under one arm, and a sack of potatoes under the other.'
Drama too:
'They were outside still, and she was still sobbing with terror. He was holding her, helplessly, helplessness in every line of her body.'
Twenty-six year-old Kate Morrison narrates the story of a rural Ontario, Canada family whose past saturates their present. It would seem that old family sins rise again in the following generation. Even older brainy brother Matt, whom Kate adores, hides secrets. When she finds them out, she meets them with resentment, and her hero worshipping of Matt evaporates. Life will never be the same.
Other characters stand out: Aunt Annie with her wobbling chin, the handsome Pye brothers: This is a novel of depth, it is intoxicating and altogether overwhelming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahhhh It just pulled me in until I was done at the end!, Nov. 23 2003
Sharon Cormier (Nova Scotia , Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crow Lake (Paperback)
Ahhhh what can I say... a book this smooth, simple, real and a narrator that makes you feel like you are her..herself. What more can you ask for ?? This book made me laugh , made me cry and made me mad and made me wonder. Although I did want a little more from the end (like a real understanding between Matt and Kate) I did enjoy this book thoroughly and can only suggest for those of you seesawing on the brink of whether to get it or not... GET it! You won't regret it. You think of it days, weeks and months after you have read it. I read it in two days and I have small kids! Consider that a feat! Seriously though... 5 stars wasn't enough for me... It deserves more. Great great novel..
Sharon

5.0 out of 5 stars Great First Novel, Oct. 8 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Crow Lake (Paperback)
I loved this book and was very touched by it.
The characters are beautifully drawn and there were times I felt as if I was at the old farm myself.
When I finished reading it I instantly started thinking of who I could pass it along to.
I hope Mary Lawson writes another book soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book., March 24 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Crow Lake (Paperback)
I found Crow Lake to be clearly written, rich in character and scenic detail, and truly unforgettable. The tale of this family is so vivid and touching. Having never read a book by this author I was pleasantly suprised to find a story so concise, and realistic that envokes so many emotions from the reader. Anyone who likes novels about families, hardship, ecology, or farming lifestyles will definietly enjoy this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crow Lake, Dec 26 2005
This review is from: Crow Lake (Paperback)
My English class had this book as required reading. At first it seemed like Crow Lake would be another one of those boring school assigned reads, in which we're forced to analyze every bit of it. However, by the time it was about Chapter 4, I was really into it. The characters are very intriguing, especially Matt. Although Bo is not throughly described in almost the entire book, as she is a baby in most parts, I consider her one of my favourite characters. Kate was probably my least favourite because of how stubborn she is, and her reactions/comparisions to/of Daniel and Matt. The things that happen throughout the novel and the feelings of Kate, the narrator, are very...whoa. I'm not sure what word to use to describe it.
Crow Lake has the ability to pull in readers of all ages and that's what makes it a good novel. However, I gave this book only 4 out of 5 because I did not like the ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book about nature and human relationships, April 13 2002
J. McDowell (West Yarmouth, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CROW LAKE (Hardcover)
Mary Lawson weaves the present and past together wonderfully, moving from one time frame to another effortlessly without ever confusing her readers. She evokes the perspective and experiences of a child, but with the knowledge and understanding of an adult looking back. Although its family, plot and setting are completely different, this book reminds me of "To Kill a Mockingbird" in its viewpoint and in the importance of its environment to the characters and plot. In both books, momentous events are related as seen by a child. It's a book to reread over and over because the reader will discover more each time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Treat!, May 7 2002
Mary Lins (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CROW LAKE (Hardcover)
Mary Lawson's debut novel, "Crow Lake" is a real treat. Her descriptions of Ontario, the farming community and especially the special pond, rich with life, are evocative of both Barbara Kinsolver and Margaret Atwood. This is an extremely satisfying novel about growing up and how the things we think are important change with age and maturity.
I'm planning to recommend this novel to my nieces who are 14 and 15. It's not juvenile fiction, but I think it appropriate for young women who are themselves learning about life and the choices made in adolescence.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Crow Lake
Crow Lake by Mary Lawson (Paperback - March 18 2003)
CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.16