biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night s Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 3, 2015
I bought the book because it was chosen by my book club. First of all, the subject matter is probably something I wouldn't have chosen for myself but it seems transgender is a hot topic now. So I bought the book...

It is about being born a hermaphrodite, being raised as a girl and then realizing as a teen you are a boy. Eugenides goes into a lengthy explanation of why the incestuous relationship of Calliope's grandparents genetically caused this to happen. That in itself was fine but he spent a lot of dialogue showing (with compassion ) of how Calliope's grandparents had a sister/brother relationship that grew into a sexual one. It went on for pages and pages and I just didn't want to know the details. I felt he normalized the incestuous relationship by spending way too much of the story on them. If he had shortened that part I may have had a much different review. I didn't finish the book but from the reviews, I guess most people found it great.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 10, 2004
I've listened to hundreds of tapes. This had to be the worst. It was read in a Yiddish accent that was to be Greek. Yikes!! Almost destroyed a wonderful book. The reader received an award for this audio. I can't imagine it. I don't think the reader understands the purpose of this medium. I felt a captive audience of bad acting. I could't even concentrate on the words. Thank god I could read the book and forget the terrible rendion of this book. He would do well to observe George Guidell of Books on Tape to learn how to render a proper reading.
0Comment0 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse