march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on December 3, 2015
I bought the book because it was chosen by my book club. First of all, the subject matter is probably something I wouldn't have chosen for myself but it seems transgender is a hot topic now. So I bought the book...

It is about being born a hermaphrodite, being raised as a girl and then realizing as a teen you are a boy. Eugenides goes into a lengthy explanation of why the incestuous relationship of Calliope's grandparents genetically caused this to happen. That in itself was fine but he spent a lot of dialogue showing (with compassion ) of how Calliope's grandparents had a sister/brother relationship that grew into a sexual one. It went on for pages and pages and I just didn't want to know the details. I felt he normalized the incestuous relationship by spending way too much of the story on them. If he had shortened that part I may have had a much different review. I didn't finish the book but from the reviews, I guess most people found it great.
on June 10, 2004
I've listened to hundreds of tapes. This had to be the worst. It was read in a Yiddish accent that was to be Greek. Yikes!! Almost destroyed a wonderful book. The reader received an award for this audio. I can't imagine it. I don't think the reader understands the purpose of this medium. I felt a captive audience of bad acting. I could't even concentrate on the words. Thank god I could read the book and forget the terrible rendion of this book. He would do well to observe George Guidell of Books on Tape to learn how to render a proper reading.