5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!
Published on Oct. 13 2006 by Sea-dog

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much of the same!
I can not figure out why this book has received so many great reviews. Although I liked the story line and the author's great attention to detail and time lines I found the story to be repetative and dragged out. I didn't dislike this book I just didn't think it was great. Maybe the movie will be better?!?
Published on Oct. 28 2009 by Tanya

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, Oct. 13 2006
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
A love story? You bet, but I can guarantee you've never met one like this before. Meet Henry and Clare. Henry time travels. Uh, but that's not the really weird part---he does so involuntary. That's right: he has no control over when/where it happens. Interested yet? You should be. Talk about a great premise! The story is presented to us from both Clare's and Henry's points of view, so we get both sides of the story. But as someone once said, "The truth is somewhere in the middle," and this could be an excellent metaphor for this story. It's not fiction, it's not sci-fi, it's somewhere in the middle. And a love story to boot. You'll find the reading a little strange at first, but once you get into it, you won't be able to put it down. Funny and knowing, like McCrae's works, and beautifully written, like the works of Eugenides, THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE will knock you for a loop, then set you back down to earth with a smile. Heartwarming and well written, this is one book you don't want to miss. The only other book I read that I liked this much was Jackson McCrae's "Katzenjammer" which is equally strange and wonderful. I highly recommend them both.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read, Oct. 8 2004
THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE is actually three books in one. First, it is science fiction, and just let me say that if you're not a fan of that genre, hold one, because it's not SF in the way you THINIK it is. This is accessible stuff, full of color, make-sense plots, and sentences that actually go somewhere. Second, this is a love story--not a sappy one, but rather a well crafted and touching one. Third, this book is a wonderful character study. Henry De Tramble is a librarian in Chicago with a strange disorder that causes him to suddenly disappear and find himself in the future. Lucky him. Implausable yet somehow real, this has to be one of the most unusual novels I've come across in a while. The only other book that was this strange and unbelievable yet believable was Martel's LIFE OF PI. If you're looking for a true adventure, and I don't mean that in the "car chase" sense, then THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE will be just your cup of tea.
Also recommended: BARK OF THE DOGWOOD

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, Aug. 2 2007
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
I spent a couple of sumptuous evenings digesting Audrey Niffenegger's impressive first novel. It is an immensely interesting and satisfying read; I highly recommend it.

At its core, "The Time Traveller's Wife" tells the simple love story of loving, intelligent Henry and artistic, romantic Clare. The two have a beautiful romance that begins during Clare's childhood and spans decades. The twist for this couple, as the title indicates, is that Henry has the impossible curse/blessing of spontaneously travelling to different moments in his life. It may seem like the plot of a science fiction novel, but it is immediately believable and heartbreaking.

Niffenegger gracefully and skillfully takes us into the jumbled timeline of Henrry's life. As a reader, I could feel Henry's frustration, Clare's despair, everyone else's confusion. There are moments that are stunning in their honesty and commentary on life; relationships are tested and explored, and every character is completely real. The author makes us care about these individuals!

My only criticism is that the story loses a bit of its momentum towards the end; it could have been 100 pages or so shorter and some side stories were a tad unnecessary. But it is not something to really complain about it since the language is so rich and the story so enjoyable (I did not want it to end!). This is a clever, devastatingly romantic, and beautifully told tale that will not soon be forgotten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing and FUN!, July 14 2005
Confused yet? Though the time travel element is an unusual twist, don't let it deter you from reading this novel. It is handled very well, and I didn't have much of a problem following the story (regardless of the time flashbacks, etc). In fact, I personally found that the time traveling created really interesting conflicts for the characters, and even though the source of the conflicts is based on fantasy, the conflicts themselves are very real. Anyone who has been in love would be able to relate to the strong feelings these characters have for each other and the difficulty that Clare has with being periodically left behind.
This story is written alternately from both Henry and Clare's point of view. The author uses a simple introduction of either "Henry:" or "Clare:" at the beginning of each chapter to indicate whose perspective the reader is sharing. Though I found this a little strange at first, it is easy to get used to and after a while I became so engrossed in the story that it all flowed very naturally. The trials and tribulations of these characters and the intensity of the love that they share are all very real. You will feel for them, you will cry for them, and you will be very sorry to part with them at the end of the novel. I highly recommend that you pick up this book --but be aware that it may be hard to put down. But try it for yourself! Pick up a copy! Another book I need to recommend -- very much on my mind since I purchased a "used" copy off Amazon is "THE LOSERS CLUB: Complete Restored Edition" by Richard Perez, an exceptional, highly entertaining little novel I can't stop thinking about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time travel this, March 11 2005
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
Destined to meet and when they do, the two main characters in TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE give new meaning to the phrase "three-deminisional! The tale of Henry and Clare is so hearbreakingly beautiful I read it again after just having finished reading it, not wanting to feed it to my bookshelf. It is wildly inventive and the author has such a beautiful way of giving you mental images into the lives of these 2 characters. I was reminded at time of the writing of Jackson McCrae in his CHILDREN'S CORNER or Seabold in her LOVELY BONES. This story is so wonderfully told from his and her perspective that it allows you to sympathize equally with how she waits for him and how he can't wait to get back into the present with her. Complications arise as the book grows thicker and it is impossible to put it down. Give this book a chance, you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare treat!, Nov. 21 2004
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
I devoured The Time Traveler's Wife in less than a week - it's my new favorite read. An interesting mix of sci-fi/time travel concepts woven into a love story with truly unforgettable main characters. Henry's personality shines through so clearly in this book and his commentary is often laugh-out-loud funny. Clare is a perfect yin to his yang. The trials and tribulations of Henry and Clare's ever-evolving relationship are made relatable to the average reader, even with the time travel element, but never oversteps into being sappy. I look forward to reading more from author Audrey Niffenegger. This is a beautifully written book - pleasantly challenging yet easy to follow - that will literally make you laugh and make you cry. Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time travel this!, Feb. 24 2006
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
I picked up this book last week and read it in 24 hours. I didn't mean to I just couldn't put it down once I started. Henry and Clare's relationship is bizarre by everyday standards (she lives in chronological order, he does not) but the intensity of their love rings true. You will find yourself completely engrossed in their star-crossed story, where everyday things such as the decision to have a child become fraught with peril and love withstands everything. Make sure you have Kleenex handy though. Just trust me. If you enjoyed the spectacular novel "Katzenjammer," by Jackson McCrae, then you'll love this book as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Love Story!, July 12 2006
Sandra Hart "Author-Somewhere Out There-Time ... (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
Being a time travel fan, I was very anxious to read Audrey's story. The love story is priceless as Henry meets Clare and shifts time periods darting in and out of Clare's life. The author has developed a great skill of building a master plot and keeping the romance alive. Loved the book and passed it to my Mom to read. What if you could meet your spouse when they were little and you knew things that were going to happen in the future? What would you do with that power? It makes you think, "If I could go back in time, where would I go and why?" If you want an endearing love story, this is a must buy book

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Wrong With Mainstream, March 21 2005
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
The biggest complaint I hear about "The Time Traveler's Wife" is that it is that the mainstream enjoys it - that it's "commercial" and "popular" like "The Secret Life of Bees," Life of Pi," and "My Fractured Life." But, what's wrong with that? "The Time Traveler's Wife" is a fantastic and unique book. I for one loved "The Secret Life of Bees", "Life of Pi", and "My Fractured Life" and I loved "The Time Traveler's Wife" too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Amusing, and more, Feb. 21 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
The time traveler's wife: The book jacket describes the story as a love story about a man (Henry) and his wife (Clare). However, their tale is unusual. Henry has a genetic disorder that results in him being temporarily misplaced in time. Yes, you heard me right, he time travels. The problem is that he can't control it. Clare finds herself being suddenly left in the present while Henry travels through time, backwards and forwards, and sometimes meets her in her past. They first meet when Clare is six and Henry is thirty-six, and they get married when Clare is twenty-three and Henry is thirty-one.
This story is written alternately from both Henry and Clare's point of view. The author uses a simple introduction of either "Henry:" or "Clare:" at the beginning of each chapter to indicate whose perspective the reader is sharing. Though I found this a little strange at first, it is easy to get used to and after a while I became so engrossed in the story that it all flowed very naturally. The trials and tribulations of these characters and the intensity of the love that they share are all very real. You will feel for them, you will cry for them, and you will be very sorry to part with them at the end of the novel. I highly recommend that you pick up this book --but be aware that it may be hard to put down. But try it for yourself! Pick up a copy! Another book I need to recommend -- very much on my mind since I purchased it as better together "THE QUEST" by Giorgio Kostantinos and commented by Dan Brown, an exceptional, highly entertaining little novel I can't stop thinking about. --.

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (Paperback - June 15 2004)
CDN$ 22.00 CDN$ 15.88