5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written
A great tale of love no matter the circumstances, highly reccomended.
Published on Feb. 22 2006 by Roshan Aziz

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much of the same!
I can not figure out why this book has received so many great reviews. Although I liked the story line and the author's great attention to detail and time lines I found the story to be repetative and dragged out. I didn't dislike this book I just didn't think it was great. Maybe the movie will be better?!?
Published on Oct. 28 2009 by Tanya

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, Feb. 22 2006
Roshan Aziz (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
A great tale of love no matter the circumstances, highly reccomended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much of the same!, Oct. 28 2009
Tanya (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Wrong With Mainstream, March 21 2005
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
The biggest complaint I hear about "The Time Traveler's Wife" is that it is that the mainstream enjoys it - that it's "commercial" and "popular" like "The Secret Life of Bees," Life of Pi," and "My Fractured Life." But, what's wrong with that? "The Time Traveler's Wife" is a fantastic and unique book. I for one loved "The Secret Life of Bees", "Life of Pi", and "My Fractured Life" and I loved "The Time Traveler's Wife" too.

4.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag this one, Dec 29 2012
Shamus (17903 80 Avenue, Edmonton AB T5T0S6) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
If I had read this book a week ago my review would have been enthusiastic and entirely positive. Eventually though, I found the novelty wearing thin. After Henry has been found ten or more times naked and bloody from his time travel adventures I wanted to say, "enough I get it." Similarly a half dozen miscarriages is enough to get the point that having children for our lovers is difficult.

The quality of the writing is always of a high order. The literary and artistic allusions are an education in themselves I certainly learned a great deal.

This book should have been pared down to a lean 300 pages and it would have earned a full five stars from me. Despite what another reviewer said, I did find it confusing in spots. You have to pay attention to the double chronology: Clare is 22 Henry is 30 followed by Henry is 40 Clare is 17,etc. At 17 of course Clare would not have had as many visits from Henry, but then Clare sometimes knew information provided by an older Henry so she could then inform him things about the future that he didn't know.

I wish the central paradox in time travel had been handled more deftly. Henry keeps denying Clare personal information about the future while giving away tips on the stock market and eventually buying a winning lottery ticket in advance of the draw. Of course this radically changes the future for the people who would have bought the winning ticket and a huge impact on the future, but that issue is side stepped.

In fact if you knit picked at this tale it would unravel completely. You just keep wanting to ignore the problems with the storyline because it is so damn well told.

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Quite Live Up To The Hype, Dec 23 2011
Lydia - Novel Escapes (Toronto) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
I'm a little late reading The Time Traveler's Wife and I think this affected my opinion, having heard such rave reviews about this book. I enjoyed it overall, but wasn't sure it lived up to all the fantastic things I had heard about it prior to reading it myself.

At first I found the time traveling distracting and slightly confusing, but once I settled into the book, it didn't get in the way of my reading. I thought this unique story was written beautifully and the character's richly portrayed. Clare and Henry remained in my mind long after I read the novel.

I did however find the book started to drag somewhat for me about a third of the way through. I think it was the anticipation of something happening and I definitely wanted to know what it was, but it seemed to take forever to find out and not enough seemed to happen in between to satisfy my patience.

Unfortunately I'm afraid The Time Traveler's Wife didn't quite live up to the hype for me. Overall, it was quite good, but I didn't think it was as fantastic as everyone had said it would be, nor did I bawl my eyes out at anytime which I heard might occur - and I am a romantic sentimentalist so it surprised me that I didn't!

4.0 out of 5 stars `Causation only runs forward. Things happen once, only once.', June 9 2011
Jennifer Cameron-Smith "Expect the Unexpected" (ACT, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
The novel begins with a prologue in which we meet the main characters Clare and Henry, and learn of the nature of their relationship. Henry DeTamble is a time traveller. He has Chrono-Displacement Disorder - a genetic glitch which, especially at times of stress, moves him from the present into his own past, and sometimes into the future. Time travel is dangerous for Henry: he arrives at some other point in his life naked and nauseated, vulnerable and often in danger. Henry meets his wife, Clare Abshire, at the Newberry Library in Chicago for the first time when she is 20 and he is 28. Clare has known Henry since she was 6.

The story is told, in alternating first-person perspectives, by Clare and Henry. Time travel has its dangers for Henry, but for Clare there are periods of absence - some short, others long - while she waits for Henry to reappear and never knowing at what stage he will be in his life when he reappears. The time traveller's wife spends a lot of time waiting, wondering and wishing.

`Why is love intensified by absence?'

It's a love story, complicated by Henry's involuntary and disruptive time-travelling. It's a comparatively long novel, but easy to read because of the way in which it is laid out. Many of my friends loved this novel, and I'm not entirely sure why it's taken me such a long time to get around to reading it. I'm glad that I've read it now.

`Time is nothing.'

Jennifer Cameron-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Insightful, Aug. 28 2005
The Time Traveler's Wife is a great love story with a fascinating component. It is hard not to be moved by the story to ponder our purposes on this intriguing part of the universe called Earth . Love in its different aspects is eventually the overriding aspect of life that is worth living for . Like UNION MOUJIK, THE DOOMSDAY BOOK, DISCIPLES OF FORTUNE, LIFE OF PI, the characters portray emotions, are very expressive and are witty. I like the way a reader is led on. This is a recommended read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book!, Sept. 26 2008
MacFly (Regina, Saskatchewan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
I stayed away from The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger for a while. The reviews seemed to range from brilliant to people not enjoying it at all. Now I add myself to the group of readers who love this book. With its most unusual concept - a man who can travel through time - the book is not at all futuristic or bordering on science fiction. I loved the writing style throughout the book and, while it took me a few chapters to get used to the time shifting, it was utterly amazing to learn how everything unfolded to fit together as more and more of the story was revealed through the various timelines. The movement back and forth through time was not at all confusing. Ultimately, this was the amazing love story of Clare and Henry. Deeply sad in some ways, it was also very moving. This was definitely one of the most different books I've read in a while and also one of the best.

3.0 out of 5 stars Time Travelling...sort of!, Oct. 9 2009
R. Wright "Loves to Read" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
I had heard such amazing reviews about this book and I while it was an o.k. read it left me wanting more.

I like to read a story that even though it is far-fetched and not likely to happen somehow still manages to give you hope that it could happen.

Time Traveller's Wife didn't do that for me. I read many books 2, 3, 4, 5 times but sadly this will not be one of them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good read. I didn't enjoy it., May 17 2014
This review is from: The Time Traveler's Wife (Paperback)
Firstly, I usually don't come to write reviews on books i've disliked, I usually don't waste my time, but this one struck a cord and it bothered me. I know hate is a strong word, but I feel no such love towards this book. The writing style of the book just runs into paragraph long thoughts that seem to end into a mixed emotion or thought. I mean at times, the writing was professional and book reader worthy, but then the author threw in vulgar words and slangs, and what really annoyed me was writing paragraphs in another language without even explaining it to people who actually only speak english. I am done with the complaints on the writing styles, I digress. As for the storyline, I didn't care for it. It was pretty depressing, and confusing at times. I really hate romantic stories that end horribly wrong. Spoiler...I also hated how almost to the end of the book the main character, Clare, decides to just out of the blue think about sleeping with Gomez and then just having to tell Henry.. almost at the end of the book. I don't know, cheating on you're girlfriend/boyfriend is an awful big deal breaker for me. Anyway, i'm done. I didn't like it. end of story. end of review.

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (Paperback - June 15 2004)
CDN$ 22.00 CDN$ 15.88