Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store Furniture Fall Tools

Suite Francaise
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$16.85+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(3 star)show all reviews
on June 18, 2008
"Suite Francaise" is a novel where the history of the author writing the book is more riveting then the book itself.

I did like "Suite Francaise" and it has changed the way I think people react during war. Irene Nemirovsky's book starts off with part one called "Storm in June". "Storm in June" takes place in Paris in 1940 as the Germans are marching in and the French are running away. It follows a number of different classes of families and people and how they react to their situation. The second part of the book called "Dolce" is about a village in France that is occupied by the Germans and how it affects the people.

It was difficult to get strongly attached to any of the characters; I believe I was more attached to the author's own personal story. I loved looking at the small writing on the inside of the book and trying to imagine Irene Nemirovsky writing this book in a concentration camp. Her daughters escaped taking the book with them not knowing that what they carried was not a diary, but a novel. It took many years for one of the daughters to realize that what she had was a treasure. Irene Nemirovsky never survived the war, but her writing did.

The book is not deeply moving or riveting, but it is a "goodread".
on January 29, 2013
While reading Suite Francaise, I was expecting a plot, any plot, to thicken, but was disappointed.
Too many characters, all being members of "the privileged few" looking down on ordinary folks,
thinking that the elite is better than all those poor souls.

I had never read any Irene Nermirovsky and will keep away from her works.

Sorry, this book has not inspired me one bit!
on May 12, 2014
I have not finished reading it yet. Other issues got in the way. So far I am finding it a little slow but others who have read it really like it and I believe I will too. I am 84 years old and a little slower these days. I need to get a little stand for my Kindle to prop it up while I read. I live in a seniors centre and we keep busy but I will make time to finish reading it.