Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle SGG Black Friday Deals Week in Music Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-10 of 26 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
on July 12, 2007
I bought this book on a whim. I'd never heard of it before, but the cover just...caught my eye. And the charming binding made me pick it up. I wasn't dissappointed. It took me...a day to read it, 12 hours maybe, of solid reading, because try as I might, I couldn't bear to set it down for long. The story just...completely drew me in, and the characters make you fall in love with them from the very first chapter. This book made me laugh and cry and rage all in a single chapter...and provoking such an emotional one of the hardest jobs an author has. Also, the additions of a glossary, recipe and other little fun tidbits in the back of the book were delightful. The perfect book for the summer.

Here's to tea with mitts!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The story of Dora Rare's Life, Love, Profession, and Compassion is not only Compelling, It's Inspiring. Amy McKay Paints a picture of life in an isolated village in Nova Scotia during WWII. Dora is drawn into the world of the holistic midwife, helping to bring new life into the world. Yet with the sweet comes the sour, Dora often learns to ease fragile souls onto their next journey. As an Obstetrical Nurse, I found the details of Dora's work both fascinating and true to life. But beyond my personal connection with this book, it is truly a great novel.
A must read, can't put it down, page turner!!
on June 6, 2007
When I bought this book in the Toronto airport, I was looking forward to having an interesting read to Vancouver. Little did I know that this book would consume my every thought. I couldn't put it down! I stayed awake the entire flight reading it and couldn't wait to read more. I must say that when I finished this book, I was quite upset, and still am, that it was done. A really excellent read!
on May 12, 2012
I've read both Ami McKay's books and both are just amazing! She is just a wonderful writer and really brings you into the time peroid and lives of these characters. I love the fact that the underlying current in both books is women and their rights and women banding together and taking control of their bodies. In this one, it's about a woman's right to decide how and where she will have her baby. Not the doctors decision or her husbands. As well it's about women choosing when to have babies. So empowering. Dora Rare is an unwilling midwife to begin with and then finds her power and place in the village as a savour to the women there. Truely a great read for any woman.
on March 19, 2007
I'm initially drawn to novels becasuse they offer me either something totally foreign, or because of their location. Hence my picking Haddon's "Curious Incident" as I wasn't autistic and didn't live in England. Also the reason for picking "Bark of the Dogwood" as I don't live in the Southern U.S. So I picked "Birth" because it was set before WWI, a period I've always been fascinated with. Now, living on the opposite side of Canada I also was somewhat intrigued with Nova Scotia. Perfect book for me right?

This novel is real and you can literally smell, feel, and taste the experiences. It's the story of Dora, a young girl, who trains under an Acadian woman that many believe to be a witch. When a "real" doctor shows up, i.e. Dr. Gilbert Thomas, the clash begins. He represents all that's new and scientific and Miss Babineau and Dora represent just the opposite. The story unfolds from there, with a lot of good writing and even some poetic passages.

The author obviously did a lot of research on this novel, and that also impressed me. This alone is probably the reason the experiences shown are so real and the characters' interactions touch the right nerves. For those looking for a great read, might I suggest this book, along with the novel "Middlesex" and the book "The Time Traveler's Wife."
on February 14, 2011
When I finished reading this book, the images stayed with me for a long time. Ami McKay has a real feel for the characters in her book. Before I bought the book, I listened to Ami being interviewed on CBC radio recently.
If you have an interest in the tension between midwifery and the medicalization of birth, this would be a good book to read. Not only does it develop the constant struggle between the medical community vs. the common sense practice of the midwives, it also gives a strong feel for the people of east coast Canada at the beginning of the twentieth century. I give this book five stars because it captures the Canadian spirit of independence.
on July 25, 2011
As a resident of the village which was the setting for this book I can say that it seemed very poignant. I read some of the other reviews that criticized the book for not being well researched and I am not sure what they are talking about. Firstly, it is a historical fiction, not history, therefore she is permitted to embellish here and there to add to the story. The parts based on historical events I believe were extremely well researched. The names of the characters were obvious plays on words, but that added to the overall impact of the story. Ami seemed to try to make us as readers feel as if we were in Dora Rare's shoes. She added little touches of folk remedy, undoubtedly taken from an eclectic collection of some persons, that made it seem authentic.
I think a lot of women can relate to the conflicts and emotions in this book. We have all at one point or another struggled with our identity, in love, and to fit in. If this book does not remind you of some memory within your own life than I am afraid you have not lived. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and look forward to "The Virgin Cure."
on November 13, 2008
The Birth House, by Ami McKay, has everything you could wish for in a book: The characters are well developed and true to form; regardless of your expertise on any given subject, it is clear the research was accurate; you will learn about things you never thought you would learn about; and you will want to learn more.

This is a novel you can't put down, yet you never want it to end. There are moments when the prose will take your breath away and make you dread turning the page because you can't imagine the story getting any better - but it does.

Without question, this is a must read and should be purchased so that all your friends and family can read it too.
on March 8, 2012
I found this under the Chistmas tree and wasn't sure what to think. A few pages in and I was HOOKED! Couldn't put it down - its a good thing I had nothing real pressing that needed to be done because all I did was read. It takes you in, makes you feel like you are there in the moment with the girls. A variety of emotions run through the story and into your heart. A book that I was sad finished. Sometimes you wonder what a book set locally will be like but this is not your run of the mill author. Ami McKay can stand up with the great authors and be proud of the depth she writes with.
on November 25, 2006
All I can say is what a great book, I have not been able to put it down at night, being a new mother of baby #2 I should be sleeping but this book isn't allowing me to. I would recommend this book to any female, I find it an easy read, easy to follow and it paints a great picture. I find myself really feeling and relating with the characters of the book, there is a broad range of emotion, one minute I am laughing and the next crying. I have even read passages from the book to my husband as he is questioning why I am laughing and he finds humour in the bits I read him as well.