5.0 out of 5 stars Six stars if I could!
Ami McKay's first novel The Birth House was a phenomenal success. I have no doubt that her newly released second novel - The Virgin Cure - will also be bestseller. And, it's one of my favourite reads for 2011.

Published on Oct. 25 2011 by Luanne Ollivier

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really worth the time
It was a book club choice so I finished it. If it hadn't been - I would not have bothered past the first 100 pages. It never rang as though it was a young girl telling the story - I really wasn't drawn in enough to care about any of the characters - and the sidebars are horribly distracting. Very disappointing after reading the Birth House - it was wonderful.
Published 9 months ago by Catherine Sutherland

5.0 out of 5 stars Six stars if I could!, Oct. 25 2011
Luanne Ollivier - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Virgin Cure (Hardcover)

I was hooked from the opening line..."I am Moth, a girl from the lowest part of Chrystie Street, born to a slum-house mystic and the man who broke her heart."

And so begins the story of Moth, born into the slums of Manhattan in New York City. In 1871 Moth's mother sells her - to a wealthy woman looking for a young servant. When that situation becomes untenable, Moth runs away and finds herself alone on the streets with no prospects. Until the owner of a brothel in the Bowery that 'caters to men looking for young companions who are 'willing and clean' takes her in. In Miss Everett's "Infant School", the most desirous of all are virgins, for it is said that a virgin can cure a man of that most scurrilous of diseases - syphilis.

One bright light in Moth's life is Doctor Sadie, one of the first female physicians in New York City, who attends the girls at Miss Everett's establishment. The idea for the Virgin Cure was based on McKay's search into her own roots. Her great-great grandmother was a physician in New York City.

What did I love so much about this book? Well, everything! McKay's characterizations are rich, detailed and believable. I became so invested in Moth and Dr. Sadie, sharing their fears and dreams. Both of these characters are strong, strong female leads, staying true to themselves despite the obstacles put before them.

The setting is just as much of a player in the novel. McKay's depiction of 1870's New York conjured up vivid scenes crackling with detail. McKay includes historical side notes, newspaper articles, pictures and more throughout the book. I found myself on the Internet many times following up with the history she presented.

Ultimately - it's a book that is so engrossing, so readable, so fascinating that I wish I could give it six stars. I just can't seem to articulate what a great read this is from such a skilled Canadian story teller. Highly, highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story bound to be made into a movie, Jan. 22 2012
Kadi Kaljuste (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Virgin Cure (Hardcover)
Having loved Amy McKay's first novel, The Birth House, I had my fingers crossed that The Virgin Cure would not disappoint. And it did not. Set in the poorest neighbourhoods of New York City in the 1870s, McKay creates wonderful Dickensian characters. From the girl protagonist Moth and her fortune-telling mother, to Dr. Sadie, an independent woman who defies the conventions of the period, McKay creates characters who are rich and vivid. While the plot was, at some points, quite predictable, McKay's addition of historical sidebar anecdotes from the period more than make up for this weakness. The story is ripe for a screen adaptation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept me rapt from first page to last, Aug. 16 2013
N. Rea (Mississauga, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Virgin Cure (Hardcover)
I loved this book - felt different from The Birth House which I also liked. But this was excellent. Looking forward to Ami's next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Read Ever, Jan. 14 2013
This review is from: The Virgin Cure (Kindle Edition)
This was an absolute excellent read and the best book I've ever read. You will not put the book down and it's like you yourself become part of it as you imagine yourself going through what this young girl did. It held my interest 100%.

4.0 out of 5 stars Once started, can't be put down..., May 24 2012
little lady blue - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Virgin Cure (Hardcover)
How could you not fall in love with a child of 12 with the name of Moth who begins her story with the words: `Mama sold me the summer I turned twelve'.
This is a poignant, touching story telling of the way things were for many people in New York in the late 1800's. It is historical fiction well researched to the point of giving the reader a true rendering of what life for a child such as Moth could very well have been, bringing to light some startling revelations about myths that were very popular at that time.
Beautifully written, easy to read with depictions of notices & advertisements of the day.
I wanted to give 5 stars but would have liked a bit more out of the ending. I felt the stories about some of the secondary characters were not complete. I would like to have known their fate.
Otherwise this book is well worth the time to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, March 31 2014
This review is from: The Virgin Cure (Kindle Edition)
I had this book sitting on my shelf for almost a full year before picking it up. To be honest I bought a bunch of books in one day and just kind of overlooked this one. That was a mistake! This is one of the best books I've ever read. I loved Moth's story and her rise through the slums of New York. Every twist and turn had me riveted. You know a book is good when you fall asleep reading it and it hits you in the face. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Feb. 5 2014
This review is from: The Virgin Cure (Hardcover)
Enjoyed the story and historical facts. Amazing stories of struggles and why people did what they did. The book was a

Good read

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really worth the time, Oct. 18 2013
This review is from: The Virgin Cure (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars So good, July 29 2013
This review is from: The Virgin Cure (Hardcover)
I love The Birth House. Though this book was not as good, I was not disappointed!
I enjoy her style of writing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Enjoyed This Book!, April 9 2013
This review is from: The Virgin Cure (Hardcover)
This book was great because it had historical facts about London in the Victorian era, the characters were believable, the plot was good and it was written beautifully. I couldn't put it down and was sad when the story was over.

The Virgin Cure
The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay (Hardcover - Oct. 25 2011)
CDN$ 32.00 CDN$ 20.06