march boutiques-francophones SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 4, 2004
I loved this book. It cleverly portrays the life of an upper class kid from southern Ontario. I never had the privilege of going to a private school, but I have been around plenty of them. I go to school with them now...at the ol' U of T. I could understand how our hero feels about things. Not only because I went through the same things he did, if not close to it. All teenagers do. Heartbreak comes around it seems like once a week. Those were the days. I just don't think it is fair to compare anything to a classic. Does one dare compare a painting of any ol' lady to Mona Lisa? No, it is not fair. Nonetheless a valiant effort, this one.
on May 28, 2003
This book is awesome. I love the fact that he can actually write about a teenager, and make the book seem so real. The relationships that Simon has to deal with, and the things that go on within his life seem so realistic. David Gilmour is an awesome author, because it's like he's a teenager himself. Teenagers have a lot of [stuff] to deal with during those years, and in this book Simon has to confront all of them. Good JOB Mr. Gilmour!!
on March 27, 2003
This coming-of-age novel, similar to The Catcher In The Rye, was a pleasure to read. The characters were portrayed in a realistic and likeable manner, due to Mr. Gilmour's ability to translate complex emotions into engaging dialogue and self-reflection. I enjoyed the book's distinctly Canadian feel and the sense of nostalgia it evokes - for lazy summer days and first loves. I felt a renewed passion for literature after reading this book.
on March 19, 2001
I agree with the previous review - Catcher in The Rye does come to mind. But Lost Between Houses falls short matching the Salinger classic. In fact, the novel read like a comic book at times. True to the cover notes though, the ending is very surprising and represents the best writing in the book. A good, light cottage read.
on January 11, 2001
This book is absolutly amazing. It's similar to the catcher in the rye but the main character is, in my opinion, more complex in that you both hate and love him. This book really touched my heart and brought me to tears, i highly recommend it to anyone interested in psychology, especially in regard to young people. Gilmour made me believe entirely that he was a sixteen year old, mixed up kid. Delicious.