5.0 out of 5 stars The GI Diet Has Been My 'Magic Bullet' to Weight Loss
Published on April 16 2005 by Linda Silverberg

3.0 out of 5 stars Dr recommended this book for type II diabetes
Too much maintenance and focus on daily intake of food. Surprised margarine and sweetners are recommended over natural butter and sugar
Published 2 months ago by Deborah hunter

5.0 out of 5 stars The GI Diet Has Been My 'Magic Bullet' to Weight Loss, April 16 2005
Linda Silverberg (Vancouver Island, British Columbia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living the G.I. Diet: Delicious Recipes and Real-Life Strategies to Lose Weight and Keep It Off (Paperback)
I wanted to lose weight so badly that I was prepared to do anything to achieve it, except give up my favourite foods! Then I heard about the GI Diet and ordered the book right away. I found this book very easy to read while being packed with valuable nutritional information. I have never found a healthier more sensible and balanced diet anywhere! This is not just another diet but is really a new way of eating. Most diets fail because you feel deprived or you get tired of weighing or measuring or counting (grams or calories or points...)or you just know they are not healthy. The GI Diet has already made all the calculations for you. All foods are divided into three categories: Red Light, Yellow Light and Green Light (just like the traffic lights). Just eat what is on the Green Light List! (In most cases, as much as you want) The Glycemic Index measures the speed at which you digest food and convert it to glucose. Eating low GI foods causes foods to be digested slowly, leaving you feeling fuller, longer, not causing spikes in your blood sugar levels or causing your pancreas to secrete large amounts of insulin. On this diet, you do best if you eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day.
All the recipes included in the book, that I have tried, have been excellent! The Baked Chocolate Mousse, the rice pudding, and the granola bars alone, got me through the first few weeks. I especially like this diet because I have lost 50 pounds ( and my husband has lost 57) and because it promotes Good Health, not just weight loss.
I've lost weight on other diets before, but always regained the weight because I never really understood 'Maintenance'. This time I get it!
I finally understand how good food promotes health while preventing disease, while a poor diet, with lots of white flour, white sugar and processed foods, puts your health at risk. The biggest bonus of being on the GI Diet, is that after a few weeks, my cravings stopped! It was like breaking an addiction! (Chocolate was my drug of choice) Now my body only gets the best fuel, and my high blood pressure and cholesterol scores all fell into place!
If you are really ready to lose weight, if you want to get control of your eating habits, this is the best, easiest, healthiest way to do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Living the G.I. Diet: Delicious Recipes and Real-Life Strate, April 6 2004
By A Customer
Everything works better with this diet. In addition to allowing me to lose 12 pounds over the last 6 weeks, the GI diet has reduced my chronic back pain, and enabled me to better control the pain. ( I am at BMI 21 - 144lb - age 50)
I have always noticed that my back pain went away for a while after I ate something, so I wondered if this was something to do with my blood sugar/insulin level. The GI diet's stabilizing effect on insulin levels sounded intriguing when I spotted the Feb.17,2004 front page Women's World "Canadian Miracle Diet" headline, and when I saw how easy it was to follow, I bought "The GI diet" and "Living the GI diet" and started in. The recipes in both the books are excellent. I had no idea how strongly blood sugar/insulin affects one's appetite, let alone how one feels. The improvement in the way I feel is really amazing. I am quite active and have found my performance in swimming and exercising has improved markedly. My husband is sort of following the diet too (he cheats a bit - one beer a day, plus 30grams of dark chocolate a day, but he exercises with weights every day too) and he has lost 10 pounds, so I am telling all my friends, family, and colleagues about it. (A colleague at work has already lost 11 pounds since she started a month ago)
These books are a life-line to all of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great LIFESTYLE change!, Feb. 10 2004
By A Customer
I bought this book about 1.5 months ago, and honestly it has changed my life. It taught me how to eat right (and this doesn't mean eating nothing, or no carbs!!!). It taught me why eating certain things are bad for me. PLUS it has a bunch of great, super-yummy recipes in it too! It's just a great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Life Change you will ever make!, April 5 2005
By A Customer
This book has changed my life. It is amazing how leaving refined sugar out of your life and eating whole grains can make such a big difference!! AND!! You can eat (most) fruits!! I lost 30 pounds in just over 2 months. The best part, was that I was never hungry and had energy. This book is truly worth the buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last! I'm not hungry!, April 13 2004
This is a wonderful book, with great recipes! This "diet" is by far the easiest to follow. I have lost 8 pounds in two weeks, and have just started. The best part is that I am NOT HUNGRY!

3.0 out of 5 stars Dr recommended this book for type II diabetes, Feb. 15 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a diet but a lifestyle, March 25 2004
Joey (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Even since I have been on this diet I have lost inches around my waist. Been on the awful Atkins Diet, the Atkins diet made me gain weight and I followed it religiously. This G.I diet is the way to go. Not some high fat and protein diet that ruins your organs. This diet is really good for diabetics as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing and easy lifestyle change!!, July 3 2008
teepa (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I have tried many, many different weight loss programs and have never found anything so effective and easy to maintain as this! Most other programs lack flavor or leave you feeling hungry, but not the G.I. diet. The recipes are delicious and easy to make... I have often made some of these recipes for my guests simply because they are so delicious. Once I started following this diet, the pounds began falling off effortlessly, and I lost my goal of 40 pounds in a 4-5 month period. I have stuck with the G.I. diet and maintained my healthy body weight without ever feeling like I am missing out. I have recommended this to everyone I know who has struggled with their weight at all... I can't say enough about these books!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book for more info, Feb. 22 2011
This is a good book in the series...gives you a bit more info. Would not recommend this for the first book ...but does have some recipes....and more info.

5.0 out of 5 stars Living the G.I. diet, March 29 2010
Monique Champagne "Bubbly" (Montreal, QC) - See all my reviews
Living the G.I. diet is really not a diet, but an awareness for lifestyle changes. The principles are easy to understand and there are great recipes!

ARRAY(0xb24e1948)