5.0 out of 5 stars Tried many diets - this one worked.
Published on Jan. 2 2010 by Anastasia

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse than a waste of money
Published on Feb. 15 2008 by booker

5.0 out of 5 stars Tried many diets - this one worked., Jan. 2 2010
Anastasia (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
The only "diet" I've been able to lose weight on - and believe me, I have tried many! The principles in it are simple and easy to follow - and quite a bit less restrictive than other plans I've tried (South Beach, Atkins, Carbohydrate Addicts). He points out that you CAN make some "splurges" that will slow down (but not destroy) your diet. It was a trade off I was willing to make - I kept my daily mocha-latte so lost "slower" than I might have with more stringency, but it was a new concept for me. I'm used to diet books that tell you that if you don't follow them to the letter you are doomed - and I find it really hard to live like that for any length of time. I don't know what results are "typical" but I took off 40 pounds in about 6 months, and have kept it off for three years. My favourite thing about this book is that it comes with food lists that state what you can eat, shouldn't eat, or should limit - those went right up on the fridge and I didn't have to do the usual obsessive weighing, counting, measuring, and looking up values in diet books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Terrific Diet, Dec 15 2008
Skiier (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The G.I. Diet: the Green-Light Way to Permanent Weight Loss (Revised and Updated With Forty New Recipes) (Paperback)
Contrary to the previous reviewer's opinion, I feel this is a terrific book and a highly effective diet. Note that this is the "revised" edition (some new recipes). The earlier edition was rated 5/5 by Amazon readers.

Our family doctor recommended this diet to my wife. We are in our 50's and were struggling with our weight. We both started this diet about 18 mths ageo. Over the course of a year we lost a combined total of 95 lbs. My wife went down 4 dress sizes and I went from a 38 inch waist down to a 33.

Foods are divided into "red light", "yellow light" and "green light" categories (those to be avoided, those to be eaten occasionally and those that you can always eat). It may appear confusing that "red light" ingredients sometimes appear in "green light" recipes it's because they are only playing a "supporting role" in the dish or meal and not as the "main act".

I also recomend "The G.I.Diet Cookbook" by Rick Gallop. It contains some really delicous, quick and easy dishes.

I do agree that while artificial sweeteners may not be the best thing for you but neither is obesity. As Mr. Gallop puts it, "These products are safe and of real value in calorie control. But, as with most foods, don't go overboard."

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, March 7 2009
M. Simms (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
I had chronic daily heartburn for the last 15 years, following the advice in this book cured it away. No drugs or surgery needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A healthy straight forward diet., Jan. 16 2009
Alan David Calder "BLC" (Toronto Ontario) - See all my reviews
My wife and I are really enjoying the G.I. Diet by Rick Gallop. The idea is simple and I am finding it easy to take our everyday favorites and clean them up so they are G.I. friendly. I especially like how close it is to the Canada food guidelines. With the exception of the artificial sweeteners my son is able to eat this food as well and enjoys it. We are eating a LOT more vegetables, and we are all feeling healthier and energetic. My Dr. is also very positive about the diet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse than a waste of money, Feb. 15 2008
I can't believe a medical doctor would encourage the use of artificial sweeteners. Recent studies from Purdue University in Indiana, and published in the Journal of Behavioural Neuroscience, suggest that artificial sweeteners may disrupt the body's natural ability to regulate food intake and may actually lead to weight gain and a lowering of metabolic rate. In addition, there are numerous studies to suggest that artificial sweeteners are linked to health issues. The author states that there is no clinical evidence to suggest that these substances are harmful. The exploitation of statistical testing procedures enabled tobacco companies to claim that no direct cause-effect relationship between smoking and cancer could be found.

Contradictory in several recipes, which include foods on his "red light DO NOT EAT" list. For example, pg 36, whole regular eggs are a "red light" food. Pg. 116, the very first recipe is for Huevos Rancheros... mexican eggs. 6 to be exact. And stay away from raisins, except for the 1/4 cup you put in your curried chicken.

As for content, this is no magic "GI" bullet. It's a diet, low in calories, low in fat, with small servings. Try portion control and common sense and save your $24.95.

5.0 out of 5 stars good food information, April 6 2011
diane F "diane" (california canada) - See all my reviews
Using red , green and yellow
to make food choices...
exactly what I needed.
The keep it simple plan. So
far so good pounds are not melting
but I am losing each month.

3.0 out of 5 stars It works but too many reciepes, Feb. 2 2010
K. Arsenault "KBA" (Ontario) - See all my reviews
The diet simply works. I didn't get it to lose weight but because I was having trouble controlling my blood sugar. I'd get so hungry, I'd feel faint just hours after eating. It really helps stabilize blood sugar so you don't feel hungry all the time. Great if you want to lose weight but also great if you have diabetes or hypoglycemia. I'm not a big recipe person though and was disappointed to find 1/3 of the book was recipes I'll never use. I should have just bought the basic GU Guide" if I simply wanted a list of green foods.

I also like that many of the switches are really easy. It's not no carb. Have basmati rice instead of plain rice. Fettuccine is fine as are bananas. Knowing the green foods is not something you can guess at. I was surprised at a number of things. I never felt the least bit deprived. My Dad started it and lost 13 lbs. One friend lost 40 lbs on is and another just started it this week. It's way easier to follow and stick to than I would have guessed.

4.0 out of 5 stars cool book, very informative, Sept. 24 2009
Jason M. Reed - See all my reviews
Great info for a guy who's literally tried everything. Really opens your eyes. If you can handle the truth, this book's for you. I'm already making better choices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diet book great for diabetics, July 19 2009
James Mccaig "Jimbo" (Sarnia, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I have been using this book for a couple of months now, and i find a lot of the receipes very good and have lost over 40 lbs. I am hoping that this book that i am following will lower my colesterol in which i get tested next month. I do believe that it will. I enjoy eating the way the book says to, and it has helped my health a lot. Clearly though, you need to exercise as well as use the book. Would recommend it to anyone and is the type of diet that one can stay on for a life time and not find it to restricting.

5.0 out of 5 stars g.i. diet Cookbook, May 6 2009
C. Loft "bigfan" (Vancouver Island, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This is the best and easiest diet I have ever been on - in fact I don't think of it as a diet but rather as a new way of eating. My blood sugar is now in the "ideal range", my blood pressure has normalized and I have been able to reduce my medications by half. I have found all the recipes in this book to be delicious and easy. They require no hard to find ingredients and are filling. I recommend it to everyone especially diabetics.

ARRAY(0xabeb5624)