5.0 out of 5 stars Tried many diets - this one worked.
The only "diet" I've been able to lose weight on - and believe me, I have tried many! The principles in it are simple and easy to follow - and quite a bit less restrictive than other plans I've tried (South Beach, Atkins, Carbohydrate Addicts). He points out that you CAN make some "splurges" that will slow down (but not destroy) your diet. It was a trade off I was willing...
Published on Jan. 2 2010 by Anastasia

3.0 out of 5 stars It works but too many reciepes
The diet simply works. I didn't get it to lose weight but because I was having trouble controlling my blood sugar. I'd get so hungry, I'd feel faint just hours after eating. It really helps stabilize blood sugar so you don't feel hungry all the time. Great if you want to lose weight but also great if you have diabetes or hypoglycemia. I'm not a big recipe person...
Published on Feb. 2 2010 by K. Arsenault

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly great advice, March 18 2010
I really like the GI principles and it confirms what many others say about the conversion of carbohydrates. What I find a little troublesome is that Rick advocates the use of Splenda and artificial sweeteners. There is more and more controversy about the effects of these on your body.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse than a waste of money, Feb. 15 2008
This review is from: The G.I. Diet: the Green-Light Way to Permanent Weight Loss (Revised and Updated With Forty New Recipes) (Paperback)
I can't believe a medical doctor would encourage the use of artificial sweeteners. Recent studies from Purdue University in Indiana, and published in the Journal of Behavioural Neuroscience, suggest that artificial sweeteners may disrupt the body's natural ability to regulate food intake and may actually lead to weight gain and a lowering of metabolic rate. In addition, there are numerous studies to suggest that artificial sweeteners are linked to health issues. The author states that there is no clinical evidence to suggest that these substances are harmful. The exploitation of statistical testing procedures enabled tobacco companies to claim that no direct cause-effect relationship between smoking and cancer could be found.

Contradictory in several recipes, which include foods on his "red light DO NOT EAT" list. For example, pg 36, whole regular eggs are a "red light" food. Pg. 116, the very first recipe is for Huevos Rancheros... mexican eggs. 6 to be exact. And stay away from raisins, except for the 1/4 cup you put in your curried chicken.

As for content, this is no magic "GI" bullet. It's a diet, low in calories, low in fat, with small servings. Try portion control and common sense and save your $24.95.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Nov. 6 2014