5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!
Published on Aug. 21 2006 by Hannah

1.0 out of 5 stars Terribly Overrated
Bestseller in Canada? I don't think so. I finally got a copy of this book to see what it's about and was quite dissapointed. Biggest problem is the writing style - simple and not in a good way, boring in every sense of the word....just a total wreck. Simple dialogue, mundane descriptions by the truckload, overdone Christian symbolism, etc.
It's almost as though the...
Published on April 23 2011 by Tintin

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, Aug. 21 2006
Hannah "Bookseller" (Victoria, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before I Wake (Hardcover)
Once I had read the first page of this book I had a very hard time putting it down. I was immediately drawn in by the characters; their thoughts, their stories, their plights. The magic of Before I Wake lies not only in masterfully drawn characters and plot, but also in the author’s ability to create seamless transitions among a handful of narrators. Understanding each character so deeply gives the reader a 360 degree view of the story and makes for a book that you will want to read in one sitting.

Questions raised by Wiersema in this novel show an insight into what it means to be human; what it means to ask questions to which there are no certain answers, to long for things we cannot have, to look for meaning in tragedy and hope in heartache.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great read!, Aug. 20 2012
S. Mac Donald "Giggler" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before I Wake (Paperback)
I wanted to read some great books by Canadian authors and was recommended this book. This book had me from the start. I can honestly say that if the book is not something that gets me from the beginning then it will collect alot of dust. I loved this book and the way that the story unfolded. When the miracles started happening, I was sure that a great miracle was to occur at the end. The ending - which I will not spoil for others - brought tears to my eyes. Thank you Mr. Weirsema for a great read and now onto the Bedtime Story which I am half way through!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely mind blowing!, Nov. 10 2008
Lindsay Hilton (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Before I Wake (Paperback)
I was haunted by this book from the first 2 pages. The gripping way the author writes about the accident brought me to tears.
It was a very interesting book and I loved the way Wiersema told the story from everyone's perspective.
I would recommend this to anyone. My hubby (NOT a reader) is reading it now after the way I talked about it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A haunting and thoughtful read, Aug. 11 2009
This review is from: Before I Wake (Hardcover)
It's true that "Before I Wake" is impossible to put down. I was captivated by the plight of the family and intrigued by the strange unreal characters who drifted in and out of the tale leaving the reader alert for any twist and turn of plot. I say "bravo" Robert Wiersema for an amazing first novel. Well written, easy transition into dialogue from prose, and a really unusual plotline melding the known to the unknown. I highly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Before Long You're Hooked, Sept. 10 2006
This review is from: Before I Wake (Hardcover)
I agree with the bookseller review here. Great book. Totally hooked.

Sherry gets hit by a truck. The driver commits suicide. Surprisingly both lives are altered in strange ways and lead to positive, if not jarring, events in real life.

It's mostly realism, with a bit of magic, Biblical battles of good and evil, sadness and humour. Before I Wake has it all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terribly Overrated, April 23 2011
This review is from: Before I Wake (Paperback)
It's almost as though the author's intention was to write a big and deeply profound book with many "deep", cerebral themes, but ended up mashing that intention with a less-than-commercial, subpar genre book.
Does NOT work for me.
Anyway, judging by the low number of reviews so far, it's obvious to me that most readers have done themselves a favour and steered clear of this one.
I don't usually take the time to write reviews on public forums, but I have to for this one. Ugh. I really hated it. Perhaps the author could benefit from some creative writing programs, because....ugh. Just, ugh.

Before I Wake
Before I Wake by Robert J. Wiersema (Paperback - June 12 2007)
CDN$ 19.95 CDN$ 14.40