5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding
I was given this book as a Christmas present and have gone back to it often. My favorite poem is "Life Doesn't Frighten Me" - I find myself going back to this one time and again. Maya Angelou proves herself as one of the outstanding comtemporary poets today by offering poetry that anyone, regardless of background, color, or creed, can find inspire in. Every...
Published on Nov. 10 2004 by Isadore Ann

3.0 out of 5 stars Well...
I breezed through this one, and I have to say her autobiographies are far superior to her poems. I didn't even have the heart to understand most of them. The style is not exactly what I can call "delicious". I'm just not a fan of Maya when it comes to poetry. BUT I have to say I enjoyed the poems in "I Shall not be Moved". They just contained a...
Published on July 8 2004 by A .J. Casper

5.0 out of 5 stars poesia con gracia, June 10 2000
Luis Méndez (Republica Dominicana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou (Hardcover)
siempre he creido que los poemas deben ser rimados y por eso no me gustan los versos blancos, los desatinos poeticos de la libre versificacion. Maya Angelou presenta rima y verso, sus poemas son cantables, recitables, tienen gracia y ritmo y cierto estilo que parece ser caracteristico de los afroamericanos, sus poemas me encantaron todos. y por favor otra cosa, a ella hay que leerla en su idioma. la poesia se pierde en las traducciones, sino traten de leer a neruda en ingles para que vean que desastre.. LUIS MENDEZ luismendez@codetel.net.do

1.0 out of 5 stars Scandalously Awful, May 2 2000
This review is from: The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou (Hardcover)
I seem to be the odd man out here, but I've always expected poetry to have a certain grace, consistency, music, class. At her best, Maya Angelou is cute; at her worst, she is insipid. Her goo-goo da-da earth mother routine becomes seriously tiring after a few poems -- and it is a little preposterous to find somebody still playing the race card in the year 2000! Please, poetry-lovers, look into the work of Tennyson and Philip Larkin. Or Shakespeare. Or even Langston Hughes, if you must have Righteous Anger with your poetry.

5.0 out of 5 stars From the founder of the Phenomenal Women Of The Web®, April 17 2000
This review is from: The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou (Hardcover)
Maya Angelou is by far one of the most gifted women of the world. She brings all the elements of being human to the surface. As the founder of the Phenomenal Women Of The Web®, it was Maya Angelou - the words and feelings she invoked in me - that lead me to create the organization. I have sold hundreds of copies of this book on my site - along with the audio tapes. To hear Maya speak the words of the poem "Phenomenal Woman," is to truly feel your spirit come alive. I highly recommend this book to any person with a heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars a true poet, Jan. 13 2000
This review is from: The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou (Hardcover)
words don't even begin to describe her genius with words and thoughts.the bottom line is you either have it or you don't and she has that it.her words are timeless and have an impact on everyday life and events.this book reflects moods× but speak volumes of the world around.for anyone wondering who is a great poet this is a great start.

5.0 out of 5 stars What were you reading?, Dec 23 1999
This review is from: The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou (Hardcover)
I looked back at some of the customer reviews of Maya's collected verse volume, and was astonished to find a one star rating by someone who simply doesn't understand the complexity within the simplicity. I would imagine this person to be well educated, intellectual, and with much of their ego invested in their intelligence. They missed the mark-- make that the whole target with that misguided review. The words Miss Angelou chooses are for the versions of her truth, and she comes from the simplest place of all-- the heart. In order to express the complexities of the heart, one must return to the simplicity of the child, and the utmost economy of words. The poems of Maya Angelou are brilliant and that customer can go take a long walk on a short pier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Geno's Review, Nov. 30 1999
Eugene Bradford (Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou (Hardcover)
Review of Maya Angelou's : The Complete Collection of Poems by Maya Angelou.
This is a "got-to-have" for anyone interested in the poetic genius of the famous Poet. The book gives you a chance to look back in her early writings and see how she moves you as she advanced in her skills. I rather enjoyed the book because it inspires me to write my own poetry. I have given very nice books of poetry as Christmas gifts to people I know she could awaken their desires to succeed. This particular reference has all the best of Maya and you can feel the poems affect you daily. I have given this book a 5 star rating because it's so enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most uniquely crafted collection of poems I have read!, Oct. 26 1999
This review is from: The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou (Hardcover)
Growing up as a Black American in the inner city I was never exposed to the talents of Black poets until I had the fortune of reading Maya Angelou's poem "Equality" in a multicultural literature course in college. I felt shame that I actually missed out on the opportunity to read such works when I was a young child. I always dreamed of a way out of the ghetto but dreams are what they are when one is trapped by reality. Maya Angelou's poems strike at the heart of the black consciousness. She raises the umbrella of truth in regards to the Black's struggle for voice and acknowledgement. She captivated my heart and soul and awakened my desire to dream again. All that is presumed lost is lost if one believes that dreams never come true. I have a new found faith in recognizing the special gift that the Black race gives to the culture of America. Even though history has presented a different picture we as Black folk understand and are driven with determined speed to undo the undone, we only ask to be recognized, or as Maya Angelou states, "Take the blinders from your vision take the padding from your ears, and confess you've heard me crying, and admit you've seen my tears" (233). God Bless!

5.0 out of 5 stars ...and still I rise, Sept. 1 1999
This review is from: The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou (Hardcover)
A poem for every occasion, a poem for every feeling. Ms. Angelou's rich anthology has been with me through both difficult and uplifting moments in my personal past in the past five years. With her special insights on life, gathered through the years on her journeys from America to Africa and nearly everywhere in between, she brings a wealth of understanding to the simplicities of life, the struggles and beauty of being a woman, of pushing on through both adversity and triumph. Bless you Ms. Maya and thank you.. your work continually reminds me that still.... I rise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtakingly beautiful, inspirational, fruit for thought!, July 16 1999
This review is from: The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou (Hardcover)
Maya Angelou has been one of my greatest inspirations since the seventh grade. I am now a rising senior in high school and I aspire to be a poet and writer. She is, by far, one of the most influential, strongest, and inspiring Black woman in the works of literature. Many of her poems I take reference to when doing an English assignment because she takes hold of many issues facing our people, especially women of even all colors. I hope to meet her some day but until that some day comes I will continue to be a big fan of hers and let her words echo through my mind and felt in my heart. I recommend everyone to read her work for it is truly inspirational.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Artists Signature Piece, April 2 1999
This review is from: The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou (Hardcover)
This was a wonderful book, in which all the poems seem to tell a story, that nearly everyone has been through at one time in their life. Maya Angelou has written exactly what is on her mind, clearly, and simply creating a portrait of her past. Though many of the poems have to do with the experience of being black, I would recommend this book to anyone.

The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou
The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou by Maya Angelou (Hardcover - Sept. 13 1994)
CDN$ 33.00 CDN$ 20.69