Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on April 8, 2002
First, let me say that the writing is very good. I did not enjoy it as much as I hoped because it's not a true detective / murder mystery type. Spade hardly did investigating and instead seemed to stumble into clue after clue and run into a key character here and there. The writing style emphasized the characters and their expressions more than the plot. It was not quite what I expected. The writing was so good that it was very easy to imagine every scene and every character nuance, but it cannot be classified as a murder mystery.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 11, 2003
I am sorry but I am going to have to disagree with almost everyone who has written a review for The Maltese Falcon. Whether it is because I am used to reading Crais and Lehane and found a real shortage of action in this book, or whether it was because the characters were so unbelievable (if Gutman had said "By Gad sir" any more, I may have had to slit my wrists!) I know this book is 70 years or more old, but I just didn't find the conversations realistic. Anyway, I am sure my review won't put people off once they read everyone else's five star reviews, but just a word of warning, if you are used to people like Elvis Cole, you will just be disappointed by Sam Spade.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse