biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: PaperbackChange

on February 5, 2016
Not aging well. Overwritten and indulgent on second reading. I thought he was so smart first time around; now I think he's not written a natural novel but written a work about himself.
on December 31, 2015
great until the third act. the first 75 % of the book is really intresting character study and a little tension but near the end of the book the scene devolvs into sensaltiolist erotica and incohrent plot. nabokov himself explains this in the afterword of the book. that he wrote himself into a corner, although i would still reccomend it if you are curius about it.
on September 16, 2015
good and fast.
on September 9, 2015
My daughter gives it a five star rating!
on August 28, 2015
A haunting and elegantly written novel.
on January 10, 2015
A must read! I have seen both versions of the film and wanted to delve deeper into this tale of obsession. It is very well written and keeps the readers interested throughout painlessly. Not smut as some would dispose of, though there are some instances of obvious, artful titillation...
on December 24, 2014
One has to have an open mind to read this novel, obviously it's controversial, which isn't my issue. My issues are with the characters.
I find Dolores and Humbert to be the most aggravating characters I have ever come across. Humbert is a grown man and treats those, especially adult women like trash. (his inner thoughts are insulting and immature).
Dolores is a child, so I guess that's her excuse but I find her so obnoxious.

I really wanted to enjoy this book, but I was too disgusted by the two main characters.
on August 21, 2014
A classic novel, came in great condition.
on June 11, 2014
I truly thought this story was true when I first read it, I was a little disappointed when I realized it was not, however it was still an engaging story. You really see inside the man's head and understand the confusing feelings he has for "Lolita". This is one of my favourite books.
on May 30, 2014
This novel is many things. It is wonderfully beautiful, it is beautifully entrancing, it is entrancingly seductive, it is seductively horrific, it is horrifically sublime. 'Lolita' is about a middle-aged pedophile named Humbert Humbert who falls in love with a twelve-year old girl named Dolores Haze - the Lolita in the title. The story is his confession to the murder of another character at the end of the novel, and focuses primarily on his seduction of Lolita which led to this homicide.

Humbert is skilled with words. He (Nabokov included) uses language to distort a reader's perception of his account. What is most difficult about this psychopath--for that, without question, is what Humbert is--is his self-awareness, accepting that he should be charged and imprisoned for the rape and desiccation of a young girl. It left me questioning how I should classify him. This novel is a psychological profile, and the pedophile is a type that I think most people have a difficult time understanding (I know I do, like most). He is definitely aware and even ashamed of his transgressions, which leads to one of the heart-wrenchingly disturbing qualities of 'Lolita': we sympathize with Humbert.

We are complicit in his crime. But ultimately, readers should read past the beautiful words in the book and see the story for what it is: a misguided love story of a man who never got over his first love.