countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 17, 2016
I have never had a book make me feel physically ill before...30 pages in, and I was so disgusted and sickened by the content of this supposedly "classic" work that I felt like actually vomiting. Somehow, 300 pages of a pedophile's fantasies about very young girls is held up as a masterpiece. Certainly, Nabokov writes quite well, and is obviously a craftsman. But the content of this vile work is so nauseating that I simply can't do it. I just don't understand how on earth this kind of hideous garbage is considered classic. It doesn't help that Nabokov seemed to hold Dostoevsky to be a sub-par writer, which didn't exactly give me a good starting point for my attempt to read this nightmare. I got rid of my copy (I am forced to read this for a university class, of course) as soon as possible, and got an actual piece of classic literature instead.
on March 1, 2016
Cheap and came quick in the mail.
on February 22, 2016
Given as a gift - well received
on February 5, 2016
Not aging well. Overwritten and indulgent on second reading. I thought he was so smart first time around; now I think he's not written a natural novel but written a work about himself.
on December 31, 2015
great until the third act. the first 75 % of the book is really intresting character study and a little tension but near the end of the book the scene devolvs into sensaltiolist erotica and incohrent plot. nabokov himself explains this in the afterword of the book. that he wrote himself into a corner, although i would still reccomend it if you are curius about it.
on September 16, 2015
good and fast.
on September 9, 2015
My daughter gives it a five star rating!
on August 28, 2015
A haunting and elegantly written novel.
on January 10, 2015
A must read! I have seen both versions of the film and wanted to delve deeper into this tale of obsession. It is very well written and keeps the readers interested throughout painlessly. Not smut as some would dispose of, though there are some instances of obvious, artful titillation...
on December 24, 2014
One has to have an open mind to read this novel, obviously it's controversial, which isn't my issue. My issues are with the characters.
I find Dolores and Humbert to be the most aggravating characters I have ever come across. Humbert is a grown man and treats those, especially adult women like trash. (his inner thoughts are insulting and immature).
Dolores is a child, so I guess that's her excuse but I find her so obnoxious.

I really wanted to enjoy this book, but I was too disgusted by the two main characters.