5.0 out of 5 stars Explaining history
Roman Emperor Claudius (41-54) has long been regarded as a so-called 'bad emperor', standing in the line of notorious guys like Caligula, Nero and Domitianus. The main reasons for this image were the books of Latin authors like Seneca, Suetonius and Tacitus. These writers all shared the same image on Claudius: a messy guy 'who was not a master, but rather a servant', as...
Published on Dec 23 2003 by hjonkers

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh, Claudius, how you have fallen
I still rate this novel 3 stars, but do so apprehensively. First off, do not read this unless you've read the first text, "I, Claudius," an excellent book. If you've read the first Claudius book, this is a must read, since Graves' so abruptly ends the first novel, practically midsentence. The second novel, is actually more interesting historically, than in the personal...
Published on Aug. 1 2001 by C. Sellers

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars "Let all the poisons that lurk in the mud hatch out!", Sept. 11 2001
This review is from: Claudius the God: And His Wife Messalina (Paperback)
The first question is: is this book as good as it's predecessor? The answer is, of course: no. How could it be? There are nowhere near the cast of characters at the end of Claudius' life as there were at the beginning. However, the good news is that it is ALMOST as good. The most memorable new character is Herod Agrippa, who is a rake and will tie Claudius into events mentioned in the Bible.
Messalina herself will not be forgotten either. Nor will the contest which she wins!
If you've read I, Claudius you HAVE to read this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good follow up, Aug. 20 2001
This review is from: Claudius the God: And His Wife Messalina (Paperback)
This is a good follow up to "I,Cladius". While I would not recommend reading this book without first reading "I,Cladius" that does not diminish the quality of this fine work. The book picks up where the first leaves off and of course to appreciate this book complete you will want to first read "I,Claudius." Reading "I, Claudius" and "Cladius, The God" gave me a thirst to learn more of Roman history. This is a must read for anyone interested in this subject area.

2.0 out of 5 stars You'd be safe stopping after the first book, May 19 2001
Shane Tiernan (St. Petersburg, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Claudius the God: And His Wife Messalina (Paperback)
This would be good if _I Claudius_ didn't exist, but... when you make the comparison this book suffers. It just didn't feel the same, it was almost like an extremely long ending to _I Claudius_. In many places it read like a history book and of course there was nothing that could compare with the antics of Caligula or the battles with the germans from _I Claudius_.
I probably won't give up on Graves, but I wouldn't suggest reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of intrigue!, June 1 1999
This review is from: Claudius the God: And His Wife Messalina (Paperback)
An excellent narrative of Augustus, Tiberius, Caligula and Claudius, _I, Claudius_ captured my senses from its very first sentence. Murder, treachery, poisonings, loves-gone-wrong . . . all written in smart prose. How does a stammering and seemingly-idiotic fool become Emperor of Rome? Easily - by chance. Or not so easily, as you'll read! This book will entertain AND teach the reader at the same time. What a bargain!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, though not quite up to par with the first, March 4 2003
Eric C. Erickson "AxelDC" (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Claudius the God: And His Wife Messalina (Paperback)
This sequel to "I, Claudius" goes into depth about the actual reign of Claudius, as opposed to the reigns of his familial predecessors and his eventual "rise" to power. If you did not enjoy the first book, don't bother with this one. It is only interesting to those who want to learn more about Claudius. For those who do, you will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthy, Worthy Sequel, Aug. 30 2000
Matt (Seacoast, NH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Claudius the God: And His Wife Messalina (Paperback)
I was wondering how they were going to handle the final half of the Claudius series, because the narrator dies (historical fact, not spoiling.) How he ends up like his predecessors, most notably Augustus, is very captivating. Tragic, ironic, dramtic and very interesting, I found it to be great, but read the first book first, it will help you understand it better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Graves is a stupendous writer!, Oct. 9 2001
This review is from: Claudius the God: And His Wife Messalina (Paperback)
Having read I, Claudius I was given the advice...to read the following title: Claudius the God and His Wife Messalina (Vintage International) by Robert Graves. As having read the first novell I therefore had my reservations. Could it possibly be as good as that first novell. To my utter surprise this second book about Claudius is just as good. Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, July 28 1999
This review is from: Claudius the God: And His Wife Messalina (Paperback)
if you are considering reading this book, make sure you read I, CLaudius first, that is a must. Then read Claudius the God. You will be so amazed at the lives of these people, real living people. I love to read historical fiction written in the first person. You really get involved in that person. You will be glad you read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book helps the Roman History scholar, May 8 1999
This review is from: Claudius the God: And His Wife Messalina (Paperback)
When I finished "I, Claudius" I HAD to go out and get "Claudius the God", because I had to find out what was going to happen to Claudius. Mr. Graves draws the reader in from the start, and both "I, Claudius" and "Claudius the God" helped me in my Roman tests!

5.0 out of 5 stars More Genius from Robert Graves, July 6 2003
Douglas Keith McEwan (Reseda, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Claudius the God: And His Wife Messalina (Paperback)
You must read "I, Claudius" first, but then you won't be able to stop, and you'll be so glad there's this second volume. A work of towering genius. This is my third copy, as I wore out the others.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Claudius the God: And His Wife Messalina
Claudius the God: And His Wife Messalina by Robert Graves (Paperback - Oct. 23 1989)
CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.16