5.0 out of 5 stars These are some of the best short stories EVER!!!
Published on Oct. 2 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for my 1st Roald Dahl book
I am writing my review primarily for 1st time readers of Roald Dahl's pieces.
Published on Nov. 25 2001 by juj

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars First Great Book I Ever Read!, March 27 2000
This review is from: Tales of the Unexpected (Paperback)
I used to think books were boring. I would always avoid the library. But when I got this book, I started reading the first page. And then I couldn't put the book down! I would read this book in class, at reading time every day, until the ending. This is my favorite book. It always will be. Thanks to Roald Dahl, I'm starting to read lots of books now!

5.0 out of 5 stars These are some of the best short stories EVER!!!, Oct. 2 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Tales of the Unexpected (Paperback)
This is a terrific book of some of Roald Dahl's most deliciously twisted stories. Always suprising, clever, ingenious and, of course, unexpected!!! Deceptively simple writing with attention to odd and ordinary detail reveals wonderfully wicked stories. I cackled through the whole thing. Some are also quite thought-provoking, like "Genisis and Catastrophe." Favorite stories include "The Sound Machine" "Skin" "William and Mary" and "Georgy Porgy". HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, unless you like your stories cute and wholesome, in which case you'll probably be offended by this book. Thanks for listining!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not a complete set at all, Jan. 8 2013
This review is from: Tales of the Unexpected (Paperback)
This book has some of Dahl's best short stories in it, but if you want a complete set, buy "Roald Dahl Collected Stories" instead. It's got about twice as many in it, all in order of publication, and in hard cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does anyone remember the TV series?, Nov. 14 2003
Raymond P. Estrella (Somerville, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tales of the Unexpected (Paperback)
If you remember the TV series, and/or know where to get the episodes on video, please let me know. Very similar to "Night Gallery" and the "Twilight Zone", I thought. Email: raymonde@tiac.net

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Roald Dahl--wonderful, wonderful!, March 17 2002
Catherine S. Vodrey (East Liverpool, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tales of the Unexpected (Paperback)
Roald Dahl is at the peak of his powers in this collection. For anyone who knows him only as the author of the Willy Wonka books--or who thinks of him purely as a children's book author--this is the book to change your mind and make you think admiringly about Dahl's considerable powers as an adult writer.
The book is comprised of gem after gem. Two of Dahl's most famous stories are here. One is "Lamb to the Slaughter," about the wife of a police detective who kills her husband in a most unconventional way and then disposes of the murder weapon in a manner that would make any criminal proud. The other, "Nunc Dimittis," describes the lengths to which a society smoothie goes for revenge.
Dahl's descriptive powers are basic, but his imagination is limitless. He manages to calmly, smoothly pull you into his stories and make the most outrageous things seem perfectly in keeping and perfectly normal--while still just a bit askew.
The stories are all vintage Dahl. Each has elements of the macabre and the grotesque, couched in the comfortable trappings of middle-class life: marriage, tidy houses, bills, resentment, secrets, tidy houses, and so on. Dahl pulls off the neat trick of making the macabre laughable, though--he's not trying to scare the reader as much as make us shout with laughter and recognition and then settle back to enjoy a shiver of anticipation. In "William and Mary," the terminally ill narrator is propositioned by a neurosurgeon friend to give his brain up for experimentation after death. Despite the gruesome details, the story is hilarious:
" . . . So when I get you on the table I will take a saw, a small oscillating saw, and with this I shall proceed to remove the whole vault of your skull. You'd still be unconscious at that point so I wouldn't have to bother with anaesthetic."
"Like hell you wouldn't," I said.
"You'd be out cold, I promise you that, William. Don't forget you DIED just a few minutes before."
"Nobody's sawing off the top of my skull without an anaesthetic," I said.
Dahl doesn't get any better than this!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, March 11 2002
This review is from: Tales of the Unexpected (Paperback)
I hadn't read Roald Dahl since I was a kid. The Harry Potter series reignited my interest in children's books. Soon after, I started reading Tales of the Unexpected and remembered why I love Roald Dahl so much. Dahl's characters are quirky and entertaining but are also drawn from life. Tales of the Unexpected is an excellent example of this. The stories are uncomplicated but well written. They are so fun to read, they seem to fly by. I defintely recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for my 1st Roald Dahl book, Nov. 25 2001
This review is from: Tales of the Unexpected (Paperback)
I am writing my review primarily for 1st time readers of Roald Dahl's pieces.
I would consider a plus sign the tales' briefness & conciseness. Except for a few stories, they were simply a few pages off. I also consider the uniqueness/strangeness of both the plot & setting quite interesting & noteworthy. I somewhow relate this book to one of Edgar Allan Poe's short story collections, although Roald Dahl's book has a different style & a touch of (black) humor.
There were approx. 4 stories which really caught my attention & they were that of the meek (as a lamb) wife pulling off a successful crime, a surviving brain, a royal-jelly product baby & the reincarnated Lintz & Edward the Conqueror.
However, there were several stories about gambling which I particularly were not fond off. I couldn't see the humor in it --- instead, I felt something of a "GOOD FOR YOU" attitude.
I guess it all boils down to taste & preference. I wouldn't mind trying another of his pieces though. I am optimistic that I will find another book by this author which I will truly like.

5.0 out of 5 stars For Short Story Lovers, March 4 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Tales of the Unexpected (Paperback)
I was enchanted with Roald Dahl's writing as a child ever since I read CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY and JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH. I was pleasantly surprised to stumble across this book while browsing through the shelves of my university's library. After reading TASTE and then LAMB TO THE SLAUGHTER, I found it difficult to put the book down. I find Dahl's style of writing and his keen attention to detail an absolute delight. Every story is a treat and I relish the moments that I have a bit of time to read a story or two. As a busy student, I don't have much time for recreational reading, and that's why short stories are a favorite. I enjoyed the book so much that I decided to purchase a personal copy from Amazon because this is a book I would like to read more than once. I had just been reading some of Shirley Jackson's short stories and was delighted to find another author who is consumately skilled in the genre. For those of you who like unusual stories with a twist, this book is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three Tales of the Unexpected, May 11 2000
This review is from: Tales of the Unexpected (Paperback)
In fact, a book worth reading, reading with pleasure. We felt throbbing by reading the three short funny tales about some interesting aspects about life and death. On the one hand a surviving brain and on the other hand a vegetarian who dies in a packing-house, we really adore those special ideas, which gave us a lot of information and made us laughing. It was exquisitely funny to read and we have to recommand it to everybody who is not too tricky in that black humour. The way Roald Dahl describes his exagerated ideas full of details let them show truly. thank you Roald, we're your fans! Martin and Matthew

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Tales of the Unexpected, May 11 2000
This review is from: Tales of the Unexpected (Paperback)
In fact , a book worth to read , to read with pleasure. We felt throbbing by reading the three short funny tales about some interesting aspects about life and death. On the one hand a surviving brain and on the other hand a vegetarian who dies in a packing-house, we really adore those special ideas, which gave us a lot of information and made us laughing. It was exquisitely funny to read and we have to recommand it to everybody who is not too tricky in that black humour. The way Roald Dahl describes his exagerated ideas full of details let them show truly. thank you Roald, we're your fans! martin and matthew from aarau, switzerland

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Tales of the Unexpected
Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl (Paperback - July 14 1990)
CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.16