5.0 out of 5 stars Julia Child for Everyday Cooking. Excellent Teaching Source
'The Way to Cook' was written by Julia Child and published by Knopf about 27 years after the first publication of 'Mastering the Art of French Cooking' which established Child's reputation. So, it was published when Julia Child was a household name for over two decades. It was meant to be her most important culinary work. It has never replaced Child's first book in the...
Published on May 3 2004 by B. Marold

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but too reliant on a food processor
This book offers great recipes, but I noticed that many seem to rely upon the use of a food processor even though alternative tools would do just as well, if not better. This is particularly noticable in the baking section. Most cookbooks that discuss baking recommend use of a mixer instead of a processor. Also, if you don't have a processor, you're out of luck...
Published on Nov. 28 2001 by D. Wolf

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're serious about cooking well, get this book, April 7 2003
This review is from: The Way to Cook (Hardcover)
Julia Child combines wit, wisdom, a deep and abiding love of good food, and a quirky sense of humor in this informative kitchen must-have. Clear, concise instructions and beautiful photographs take the reader step-by-step through basic kitchen techniques from trussing and roasting a chicken to trimming and boiling an artichoke. Recipes for everything from soup to nuts, and delightful anecdotes round out this satisfying literary feast. Unlike many of the world's great cooks who shroud themselves in egocentric mystery, Julia Child seems delighted to have the opportunity to show her readers how to truly enjoy one of the finest things in life: preparing and sharing a delightful meal.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T THIS YET?, June 12 2002
This review is from: The Way to Cook (Hardcover)
What are you kidding? Yes, I too called myself a weekend chef, but I was NOTHING until I got this bible. There are so many perfect colorful pictures and easy directions and useful tips that you will be reaching for this one more often than paper towels in your kitchen!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the best, Nov. 1 2001
This review is from: The Way to Cook (Hardcover)
If you are truly clueless about how to cook, or you are a seasoned professional, this book can teach you whatever you need to know to pull off an intimate dinner for two or a fabulous dinner party for 8. Anything that you need to know about the day-to-day business of cooking can be found here in easy to understand terms with lots of pictures. Julia doesn't looks at good cooking as something that anyone can do and gladly shares her secrets to making it fun and easy and scrumptious.

4.0 out of 5 stars For Advanced Cooks Only, Oct. 5 2001
This review is from: The Way to Cook (Hardcover)
An avid cook I only recently was won over by the legendary Julia Child. And I have to say that "The Way to Cook" is one big, beautiful cookbook. The huge tome is filled with full color photographs of not just completed dishes (the so-called "beauty shots") but detailed shots of the step-by-step techniques needed to prepare the often complicated recipes--a feature I found extremely helpful.
I really liked this book, but I have to say the title is a real misnomer. This is NOT a book for beginners who want to learn to cook (for that I'd recommend "The Betty Crocker Cookbook" or maybe "The Best Recipe" from "Cook's Illustrated), it's an advanced course for wanna-be gourmets. If you don't love to cook, or don't enjoy making "fancy" dishes (though there are a few "basics," this book focuses on Child's forte, classical French cooking that's pretty enough to serve in a restaurant), then this cookbook isn't for you. But if you're ready to expand your cooking horizons, I think this title is perfect.
One more note ... a fan of Martha Stewarts television cooking segments I noticed that a great number of the techniques that Martha promotes come straight from Child. Something I never realized before reading "The Way to Cook."

5.0 out of 5 stars A kitchen bible, May 23 2001
Yocona (Oxford, MS United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Way to Cook (Paperback)
We use The Way to Cook religiously in my small restaurant. It has also become one of my favorite gifts to give. Interestingly, everyone I know who uses (and therefore loves) this cookbook refers to it as "Julia". That affectionate title says it all: it is not merely a cookbook, but an extension of Ms. Child and her extraordinary teaching skills.
The Way to Cook will be most appreciated by those who are willing to spend a little time in the kitchen. The recipes are quite traditional, and don't ask for hard-to-find ingredients. You will find many variations to expand on the basic recipes. Ms. Child's French Bread recipe is the best I've come across--so tasty, simple and foolproof that it makes the ideal "first bread" attempt.
If you are only going to invest in one major reference cookbook, this one should be it. The Way to Cook is so brillaint and thorough, it deserves to be purchased in hardback.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Can I Say? Julia Knows How., June 28 2000
This review is from: The Way to Cook (Hardcover)
Julia Child is one of the best cookbook writers ever --- which is not an original thought, but it is important to bear in mind as the market is flooded with cookbooks. Instructions are clear, photographs are helpful, and organization of the book (master recipes for basic things get subsequently developed/incorporated into other dishes) is excellent and easy to follow, and most importantly, the recipes work. This, along with the newer How To Cook Everything by Mark Bittman, seem to be the two I pull out all the time as a reference. Example: Mayonnaise based sauce started breaking down on me and Julia's suggested fix worked like a dream. Great book for any cook to "grow" with.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's been my cooking bible since it was published, June 28 2000
David J. Huber "Addicted to books!" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Way to Cook (Hardcover)
I bought this book when it was first published (and it cost me almost 10 hours of wages), and of all the cookbooks I own (maybe 40 or so), this is the one I use the most. Even when I moved to Hawaii for a short-term internship, I used precious luggage and weight restriction space to take this heavy book with me. Why? Not just because it has great recipes, but because it is just what the title says - a book about how to cook (at least, how to cook Northern European). I don't go to it very often for specific recipes (although her French Onion Soup is fantastic), but to see how to do something in general - like, how to make a cream sauce, how to make a chowder base, how to clean mussels, how to clean fowl, etc. If you master this book, you will have mastered the theory of (Northern European) cooking, and will no longer be tied down trying exactly to reproduce a recipe in one of countless thousands of generic cookbooks. You will have courage to experiment, because you'll know what the ingredients are doing and how to handle them - you will, in fact, become your own recipe inventor and creative, tasteful, confident cook that you and your family (and friends!) will appreciate. This is, really, the proper model for what cookbooks should be, and I wish someone would do something similar for other cuisines (and if they have, send me an email about it!).

5.0 out of 5 stars I will use this book for life, Feb. 21 2000
This review is from: The Way to Cook (Hardcover)
I have had this book for several years, and it's dawning on me how important a work this was, because I use it every time I make certain dishes. For example, I always use it to make rice (who can remember whether it's 2 cups of water or 1 1/2?) and also for hard boiled eggs. These are the types of things that other cookbook writers take it for granted that you know, but which are crucial to the success of the recipe and which Julia Child considers important enough to devote several pages to. I find this book to be an essential tool in my kitchen.
I admire her ability to explain, in common sense terms, how to achieve basic cooking recipes (she calls them "Master recipes"), and how to incorporate them into more complicated recipes. This makes the book useful for beginners as well as more experienced cooks.
She especially handles the subject of cooking with meat and poultry well, offering a wide range of dishes with an international, yet traditional flair. Many of the recipes are reminiscent of her televsion show, "Julia Child and Company." They have a sort of 60's trendiness to them, which makes them fun and evocative of food one's Mom used to make, while at the same time not being out of date. You just sort of expect that there will be a fondue recipe or two, plus a few "chafing dish" preparations!
The pictures are very helpful, as are the instructions that are drafted in laypersons' terms. Her recipes are basic standbys, nothing particularly fancy, but everyone needs at least one of those types of cookbooks in their kitchen. A tour de force for Julia Child, who seems to get better with each succeeding effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a book of recipes., Feb. 15 2000
This review is from: The Way to Cook (Hardcover)
The best part about this book for me is that it teaches cooking isn't just following a set of steps in a recipe. By listing several "Master Recipes" Child teaches you the basis of a dish, then gives you the knowledge you need to branch out beyond the basics.
The effect for me was to introduce me to the creativity and adaptability of cooking, and has helped me enjoy not just my own cooking, but to see the beauty of other's dishes. Fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Final Word on Cooking, Dec 8 1999
A. Henning "AHenning" (Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Way to Cook (Hardcover)
I got this cookbook as a Christmas gift four years ago after taking cooking seriously for four years. The knowledge Child imparts took me to another level of understanding good food and good cooking.
I don't consider myself a gourmet. I am a good home cook who appreciates delicious, hearty food and I gravitate towards these types of dishes and chefs. By the time I read The Way to Cook, I'd already owned and read three or four cookbooks (all from the Silver Palate ladies) and I didn't learn about the process and intellectual thought of cooking until Child. Wow. She truly brings everything to its most basic point and then, tell you how to treat the food. Additionally, the book is organized well; written in a straightforward manner; and the recipes are simple to follow and delicious to eat.
True, this is more continental than it is American, but I think if you could only have two or three cookbooks, this would be one of them. The others would be Cook's Bible and Joy of Cooking (new ed).
One warning, like most cookbooks, the food is rich, so if you're on a diet, eat breakfast, make this for lunch or an early dinner and don't eat anything the rest of the day!

The Way to Cook
The Way to Cook by Julia Child (Paperback - Sept. 28 1993)
CDN$ 59.95 CDN$ 37.58