4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid reading, Nov. 23 2004
"That Evening Sun" and "A Rose for Emily" alone could easily seal this remarkable writer's reputation, but the other stories that appear are equally wonderful. Like THE COMPLETE SHORT STORIES OF HEMINGWAY, this collection is a must for anyone interested in the great art form of short stories-although the Hemingway could said to be the direct opposite as far as style is concerned. I first read some of these Faulkner stories in high school, and now, revisiting them decades later I find them to be even better. Fine writing really does get better with age. Another collection of short stories I recently came across is also excellent: THE CHILDREN'S CORNER by the author Jackson McCrae. Excellent with some having shades of Faulkner.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rose is a rose, June 2 2004
This review is from: Collected Stories (Paperback)
Of all the Faulkner stories, "A Rose for Emily" is my favorite. For me it is the encapsulation of all that Faulkner is about--Southern Gothic, well-told, paced just right, and with an element that only someone having "lived" in the south could attain. Along with Welty and O'Connor, he takes his place among the Southern greats. Each of these stories is masterfully crafted---little jewels really. Anyone interested in great writing must read these. Would also recommend Jackson Tippett McCrae's "The Bark of the Dogwood--A Tour of Southern Homes and Gardens" and the collected stories of Flannery O'Connor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Nov. 20 2003
This review is from: Collected Stories (Paperback)
After reading "A Mule in the Yard," "That Will Be Fine," and "That Evening Sun" I was reminded of why this guy is one of the greatest storytellers ever. I know, his writing can be dense and even a times nearly unintelligible, but patience and concentration pays off with Faulkner. And his use of point of view is amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars STRONG AND POWERFUL, Sept. 16 2002
Boris Zubry "Boris Zubry" (Princeton, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Collected Stories (Paperback)
Amasing, strong and powerful. What else can one say about one of the best writers of the world?

5.0 out of 5 stars The American Author, Dec 20 2001
Warren (Mt. Pleasant, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Collected Stories (Paperback)
The first Faulkner book I read was in my junior year of high school. When I consulted my teacher about whether I should choose Faulkner or another author to read, she told me something along the lines of, "Faulkner's regionalistic and enigmatic style is interpreted two different ways by two different types of people: One think that he is symbolic and profound, the other think that he is not and rather full of it." Well, I do feel sorry for the 'other' group, because to not reconize the depth behind his more-poetic-than-most-poets words is just plain out wacky. I will say that he is not your typical fiction writer, his books do not have action oriented plots (or even any action in some cases), but he still somehow manages to catch your interest. I have never fell asleep while reading a book or story by Faulkner, and not many authors have earned this distinction. He also leaves you with a sense of reflection, again something distinguishing him from many others. Personally, I prefer short stories to novels, I find that my focus to the point and plot of the story is less distracted by the end as with a novel and I typically find that I retain more. I do enjoy Faulkner's novels and have read quite a few, but this collection of short stories is just brilliant beyond brilliant. His words are potent and sharp in all of them, even if his point and meaning is more elusive. I completely and totally recommend that everyone read this collection of stories. Everyone. Really. That means you too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic collection from a masterful writer, July 23 2001
Jennifer A. Johnson "jabbl" (St. George, UT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Collected Stories (Paperback)
William Faulkner is a fantastic, interesting writer. This collection of short stories is as engaging and well-written as his longer novels, with stories and characters as real as memories.
Faulkner is a brilliant storyteller. Begin with "A Bear Hunt" and "A Rose for Emily." You will be captivated by this wonderful collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars a rose for ms emily, May 20 2001
This review is from: Collected Stories (Paperback)
faulkner is one of the most brillant writers a rose for ms emly is by and far the best ever
i give faulkner a five star review

5.0 out of 5 stars This is literature at its finest!, July 31 2000
This review is from: Collected Stories (Paperback)
William Faulkner's work has influenced many writers. His extravagant language and quirky stories are the epitome of fiction. Having read this amazing collection of short stories, I have no doubt in my mind that Faulkner was a very interesting person -- I would've loved to meet him.
My favorite story is "A Rose for Emily"; the quirkiness and symbolism in the story is both beautiful and strange. I also like "A Bear Hunt," "All the Dead Pilots," "Wash," and "Two Soldiers" -- all of the stories have a very unique language. If you like good literature, I strongly suggest that you read this amazing book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dynamic composition of faith and deliverance, Jan. 3 2000
This review is from: Collected Stories (Paperback)
William Faulkner is not an easy Man to understand in his writings but in his complexity he shows strength, admiration and guilt all wrapped up in one sentence and as a reader...all at one time. The confusion and glory is one to beholdin. All of his words put together bring understanding to anyone's compromise. Faulkner is the master of great prose in an educated and complex way.
A writer to be treasured with a devotion likened to Shakespeare of modern time. Sharon lin andrews navarro

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Introduction, June 23 1999
This review is from: Collected Stories (Paperback)
A terrific introduction to the world of Faulkner's fiction. Some of these stories "Wash", "Barn Burning", "All the Dead Pilots", and "That Evening Sun" serve as introductions to some of the characters that populate his novels. These 42 stories encapsulate a brilliant career, featuring a wide variety of styles and points of view.
I am not a big fan of short stories, but each of these reads like a mini-novel.
You will be engrossed and will want to go back and read them again.

Collected Stories
Collected Stories by William Faulkner (Paperback - Oct. 31 1995)
CDN$ 23.00 CDN$ 16.61