5.0 out of 5 stars This is by far the best book ever written
Published on Nov. 8 2003 by SpoonieLuv

3.0 out of 5 stars Reminder not to write off anyone as a lost cause.
This book was incredibly difficult to read due to the graphic manner in which the subject matter was relayed. But this same graphic manner made the book that much more powerful of a read.
Published on March 7 2000 by Liesl English

3.0 out of 5 stars Reminder not to write off anyone as a lost cause., March 7 2000
This review is from: Push: A Novel (Paperback)
Sapphire does a great job first having us identify the main character, Precious Jones, as other, someone separate from us, and then slowly pulling us in to get to know her. This technique allows us to recognize that someone in reality whom we identify as other can become someone we know and understand independent of our own personal situations.
Note to readers: make sure to read the poem in the beginning before and after reading Push and see how your understanding of that poem changes.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is by far the best book ever written, Nov. 8 2003
SpoonieLuv (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Push: A Novel (Paperback)
The reason why I gave this book 5 stars is because the rating scale wouldn't allow me to give it a perfect 10! If you are looking for a book by an author who puts their heart and soul into their writing then look no further this is the book that you are looking for. This is a short novel, so I read it over night. Sapphire the author, who posseses a writing style so graphic that it electrifies her readers allowed my emotions to get deeply involved in this book, I felt the pain, the anguish, the rawness and the triumphs from the main character and storyteller Precious an iliterate teenager who is "precious" in her own right. She is abused by her immoral unsympathetic parents, a mother who mentally, phyically, and spiritually mistreats her and a father who has violated and deprived her of a childhood by molesting her at a young age. As the story progresses you as the reader will notice Precious striving to overcome these heinous obstacles and becomes a heroin. Reading this book was more than just entertaining it was an experience, a raw experience that I hadn't felt in a long time from any author (with the exception of Sistah Soldier). If you haven't read this novel yet Please Please PLEASE, RUN out to your nearest bookstore and purschase this book. This book will take you through emotions like no other book has done before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Novel, March 3 2003
This review is from: Push: A Novel (Paperback)
" Push" an excellent novel written by Ramona Lofton Sapphire. The dialect used in this novel made me feel as if I was at a play actually listening and watching the events as they take place. Above all the use of Ebonics helped me to understand how illiterate the main character Claireece Precious Jones was however, as the novel continue the use of Ebonics decreased as Claireece education increased. Shapphire use excellent adjectives to describe the gruesome events that took place in this young girl's life. Events such as being sexually and mentally abused by her mother and stepfather or the embarrassment of still urinating on herself at the age of sixteen. Shapphire use of adjectives and sentence structure makes the novel easy to read and comprehend. "Push" is one of those novels that once you start reading it, you can not stop.
This is the best book I have ever laid my hands on. I would recommend this novel to anyone. Although it is fiction, it is extremely realistic. This novel describes in full details actual events that many can relate to or know someone who can. "Push" is the type of novel that will make you laugh and cry all on the same page. Besides, it is one of those novels that you can read over and over and never become bored. Each time I have read "Push" I had a different opinion on the characters and the actions of Claireece parents. Thus far, no book can compare to "Push".

5.0 out of 5 stars Push by: Sapphire, Oct. 10 2002
Armineh (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Push: A Novel (Paperback)
Adolescence is a difficult time for girls. Their bodies begin developing, and maturing. They face changes within their bodies physically and mentally. Claireece Precious Jones ( also known as Precious) endures incomprehensible hardships throughout her adolescent years.Day by day she is faced with an abusive mother, and a father who constantly rapes her. I compare the settings of her life same as the life of Dave Pezler's in A Child Called "IT". She realizes she needs to change her living conditions, and start a better life for herself.
Growing up, Precious feels small and insignificant emotionally, but dumb, overweight and ugly physically. Her self esteem has deteriorated as she was growing up by her jealous, antisocial mother. She begins to have thoughts of suicide, thinking it's her only way out- "But I don't know how to die. Ain' no plug to pull out. 'N no matter how bad I feel my heart don't stop beating and my eyes open in the morning." Her life seems to be a repititon for unimaginable,repulsive events. She feels unwanted throughout her whole life, and hates her mother, her father, her teachers, and most of all herself-"Don't nobody want me. Don't nobody need me. I know who I am...ugly black grease to be wipe away, punish, kilt, changed, finded a job for."Feeling deprived of her education, she states"The tesses paint a picture of me an' my muver-my whole family, we more than dumb, we invisible."
Pregnant with her second child, by her father, she is forced to drop out of high school, and attend alternative school."I always did like school, jus' seem school never did like me" Precious has remained completely illiterate. The context of this book really displays that. However,with the help of her teachers and fellow students who have undergone experiences as horrid as her own, she begins new understandings of words, friendship, and,most importantly herself.
Although Precious is a character very hard to relate to, she is portrayed as a beautiful individual in my opinion.The author allows its readers to see how a young girl gets through the trials and tribulations in her lifetime.Sapphire's use of language in the text strengthens Precious as a character. Precious is portrayed very " real."Precious's tone of voice used is crude, and full of sarcasm and hate. I very much recommend this book! The contents is a bit controversial to understand but the story of the life of Claireece Precious Jones seems truly authentic. It is a bit intense, but it is a story that has to be heard, and one that you will walk away remembering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting!!, Oct. 10 2002
Tiffany S. (San Francisco, Ca USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Push: A Novel (Paperback)
" Push" by Sapphire is a really intense book dealing with a teenager, her abusive parents, and her struggle to make it some way in life. I really don't like reading but this book caught my attention through the first page and carried me though the end with ease. Precious, who is the main character, must "push" her way through life despite the many obstacles she encounters from her being illiterate to having to raise a child at 15 on her own.
This book also deals with rape and molestation, which I think will catch anyone's attention. The author has done a great job here in being descriptive about Precious Jones life. Sapphire describes exactly what is being sexually done to the main character by not just her father, but her mother as well. The way that the author chose to describe this girl's life made me feel as if I wanted to do something to help her but I had to remember that it was just a book.
There is someone who finally does see Precious as a person who has hopes and dreams like us all and helps her to get in the right direction. Precious Jones life after meeting Ms. Rain became a lot easier, although her life is still not on the same level of a regular teenager. She acquires new people and friends who are there to help see her along while she pushes on in her life.
I do recommend this book to anyone, teenagers and adults. I must warn that it does get graphic and can make you feel a bit uneasy, but this is what also makes the book great. This is the type of book that pulls you into it from the first page and keeps you interested through the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Review "PUSH", April 18 2002
By A Customer
Book Review
You complain about how your boyfriend broke up with you or how your parents are on you because they don't let you go out. You think you have problems, but you have no idea. When you finish reading Push you will compare your life problems to Precious Jones', and you will realize you have nothing to complain about.
Precious is a high school student who's hiding her problems from everybody. She has one child and another on the way. The father of the child is her stepdad. She is alsobeing molested by a close family member, and, she can't read or write. After years of hiding from these problems, she's makes a resolution to learn how to read and write. This book reveals her struggle to become literate and have a normal life.
For instance, Precious says,"I get confuse i hate him, but my pu**y be popping, He say that big mamma your pu**y is popping. I hate my self when i feel good." Here Precious is remembering her confusion when her stepdad forces her to have sex with him. I got hooked on this book because I'd never read anything with profanity or explicit sexual behavior. But Sapphire includes these because she wants the reader to experience how life isn't always cookies-and-cream.
Both teens and adults readers will learn something from this book. Teens may learn that hiding your problems won't make them go away. Adults (especially teachers) will learn not to ignore their students' personal problems and the signs of illiteracy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Push, April 18 2002
Leyla mumin (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Push: A Novel (Paperback)
...At the age seven, Precious Jones got left back in the second grade because she couldn't read. This happened again in the seventh grade. At the age of twelve, she had her second baby by her father. Now at the age of 16 , nothing has changed for this young woman. Her father still rapes her and she still fights battles with her mother. However, all that changes when she meets a woman that goes by the name, Miz Rain. She helps Precious get through all of her mother and father's nonsense.
Precious Jones is not so precious. She can be oppositional and defiant in class. There would be times where she would explode and curse out the teacher because she wasn't doing well on a test. Even though Precious came across as being strong, deep down, she was insecure.
The relationship between Precious and her parents was very unusual. She went through her childhood being raped, beaten, and physically, mentally and emotionally abused. As a strong young African-American, Precious Jones had to find things out the hard way. Even though she did not have a strong relationship with her parents, Precious Jones somehow managed to survive their torment.
There were two main themes in this book. The first one was that there are many cases of sexual abuse in this big world that does not get reported to the police. The second theme of this is that no mater what happens in your life, you can always over come it. So, if you are a sensitive guy or woman, I do not recommend this book. If not, go ahead and take a step to the unthinkable .

5.0 out of 5 stars "Pushing her Parents off of her", Oct. 24 2001
This review is from: Push: A Novel (Paperback)
Saphire's story of a young girl finding a voice is powerfully moving. In "Push" we have Precious, who is a foul-mouthed character, who is tragic and inspiring all at once. From the dark elements of her emotionally barren mother, to her abusive, twisted father, Precious is forced to struggle to get away from her family and the perceptions that people have of her. Her true essence is found when her self worth from Ms. Rain and the other tragic classmates from her new Alternative school. I could only read in disbelief as her hopes and dreams are disturbed by her affliction to H.I.V/ A.I.D.S . Yet I found solace that the character that was once given up on, invisible, to the world around her was becoming visible through her voice.
Saphire's use of language strengthens Precious as a character, and shows her slow rise as an individual and as a writer. From an illiterate teenage mother to an addition to her class, Precious grows strong with her connections to the sympathetic Ms. Rain, the tragic Rita, and the seemingly imposing Jermaine. These characters all found a common ground and in essence became each other's family. "Push" is gripping and moving. As I read I couldn't bring myself to put the book down. I wanted to find out what was going to happen to Precious next. This book is highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars So real, disturbing, sad BUT VERY VERY Inspiring!, Oct. 5 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Push: A Novel (Paperback)
PUSH is such an easy read but so hard to get through without showing some human emotions. I found myself crying after every few pages while Precious described the most horrific life that any young girl (or boy) could go through.
Being sexually and physically abused by both her BIOLOGICAL mother & father, Precious still finds courage to PUSH and fight for her life. She wants to be a smart mother, not like the one she was given who threw her life down the drain.
16 years old, Precious has already given birth to 2 children from her own father. A baby girl (Mongo) at 12 years old and a baby boy (Abdul) at 16. Inflicted with the HIV virus, giver to her by her father, Precious still maintains a love for learning and wanting to BE SOMEONE. She doesnt let anyone or any system bring her down and categorize her into a sub-human culture.
Precious Jones is someone BEAUTIFUL and she lets everyone see that in the ways she gets through the trials and tribulations in her young life.
It would be nice for this book to become a movie, but I think this would be a hard thing for many of us to see, nontheless, read.

5.0 out of 5 stars God Help the Children, July 8 2001
This review is from: Push: A Novel (Paperback)
I often use this book in my writing classes to demonstrate the power of words to save. Most of my students report that they read it in one sitting after reading the first line. Some, a very small group, report that they were too afraid to read on after the first line and so put the book down and read the alternative selection. I have noted that in the class discussions that follow, the second group (who claim they could not read it) always participate with as much passion as the group that did read. Draw your own conclusions, but for my part I believe a great many more people have read this powerful book than will admit it. It is difficult for some, however, to admit to having read (and enjoyed) a book that so graphically describes the most brutish forms of child abuse and incest. To admit to reading this book, for some, is an indictment by association. Imagine someone saying, "I just read a great book about someone who was eaten by a cannibal. The writing is wonderful. You can almost feel the teeth sinking into your flesh. At the end when the victim dies, it's almost like you have died, too. It's just great."
This book is great, but it disturbs in the same way that Schindler's List does. The ugly truth is still ugly, and God help the children for whom it is true.

Push: A Novel
Push: A Novel by Sapphire (Paperback - April 29 1997)
CDN$ 16.95 CDN$ 12.24