5.0 out of 5 stars Push by Sapphire
Published on Oct. 18 2009 by Literary Enthusiast

3.0 out of 5 stars Reminder not to write off anyone as a lost cause.
This book was incredibly difficult to read due to the graphic manner in which the subject matter was relayed. But this same graphic manner made the book that much more powerful of a read.
Published on March 7 2000 by Liesl English

5.0 out of 5 stars Push by Sapphire, Oct. 18 2009
This review is from: Push: A Novel (Paperback)
"Push" is a dynamic, living novel that has documented trials and tribulations secretly experienced by many families. The writing is fierce, heart-breaking and harsh, yet can be so true as it documents an ugly story.Themes of poverty, power and control, sexual exploitation, poverty, domination, racism etc. ring through the poetry and Ebonics used by the author to make the piece more realistic. The setting is stilted with bare stone buildings, shelters, schools, hospitals placed in ghetto surroundings that provide little stimulation for growth and development. The main character, Precious, shows a strong willingness to survive and overcome her deplorable circumstances with only one main supporter, her teacher, who believe in her. Getting an education will save her from the abuse and destruction of her parents, enabling her to make an effort to break the cycle of darkness and repression for her own children. The book is a masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, Oct. 4 2013
This review is from: Push: A Novel (Paperback)
The book is small and a quick read but as you read it you feel everything the main character feels

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written... not enjoyable..., June 17 2013
A. Soares - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Push: A Novel (Paperback)
This book is a quick read but by no means a light one. The subject matter is dark, deeply depressing and extremely graphic. The novel is very well written. The author makes use of deliberate misspellings and grammatical errors to draw us in to the POV of an illiterate teenager.

Precious is barely a teenager and pregnant for the second time by her abusive father. Unfortunately, her story is not unique. Many children are let down by our educational and legal systems. There is no easy happy ending for Precious; no one to swoop her out of poverty and darkness. This novel deals with depressing reality and shows us to open our eyes to the plight of those who have fallen through the cracks of our social system.

This novel is worth reading. I cannot classify it as enjoyable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reminder not to write off anyone as a lost cause., March 7 2000
This review is from: Push: A Novel (Paperback)
Sapphire does a great job first having us identify the main character, Precious Jones, as other, someone separate from us, and then slowly pulling us in to get to know her. This technique allows us to recognize that someone in reality whom we identify as other can become someone we know and understand independent of our own personal situations.
Note to readers: make sure to read the poem in the beginning before and after reading Push and see how your understanding of that poem changes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rated R, Feb. 4 2010
S. Devaladares (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Push: A Novel (Paperback)
I was very surprised to find the way this novel was written. There is a lot of profanity and grafic recounts by the narrator, of scence of incest. It is also hard to follow at times because it is written as the main character, Precious Jones, would speak. As one would assume someone who could not read or write and was very under educated would tell a story. Misspelled words, bad grammer etc.

All in all, it was a decent story but very short. Only about 150 pages in length. I didn't feel satisfied when I finished it. I felt like the story could have continued for a while longer in order to have a better conclusion.

3.0 out of 5 stars rivetting, but hard to read, Dec 29 2009
T. Walden (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Push: A Novel (Paperback)
Push was easy yet hard to read. I enjoyed reading through Precious's eyes and her first person narrative was well done. However, the details of the abuse by the mother and father's abuse of an infant was haunting and sickening. I had to skip it. The poetry was my favourite part.

3.0 out of 5 stars You Can't Forget It, April 23 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Push: A Novel (Paperback)
Warning. This not a fun book. The heroine goes through all kinds of graphic hell. After reading Push I felt like taking a bath becuse you really do wade through the mud. Push is not a great book but it does have powerful emotional punch that has stayed on my mind long after I put it down.

3.0 out of 5 stars Push II?, Oct. 24 2001
Silva (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Push: A Novel (Paperback)
"Push" had its ups and downs. Disturbing and motivating. It pretty much grabbed my attention. The estory reflected the dispair of a child who had to find her way out the hell of her existence.
I was left with a few questions. Did Precious see all at the age of sixteen? Did Abdul give Precious the strengths to overcome her miseries? Was Precious ending the pattern of abusive relationships in her family?
"Push" is unfinished. Precious is a character of power, she needed to be more explored.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's just powerful!, Oct. 23 2009
L. Alfred-Moses (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Push: A Novel (Paperback)
In light of the movie coming out, I picked up the book Push. It is a quick read, 1 week or less. However, it packs a lot of punch in those few pages. It is provoking, disturbing, moving and graphic. And, it is worth the read.

I am not sure how they will capture on film the powerful messages, the depth and the vunerabilty that the writer conveys. It is a riviting piece of work.

5.0 out of 5 stars PUSH, April 20 2004
This review is from: Push: A Novel (Paperback)
This author wants the reader to be precious and when this author finishes the reader will become precious. The reader will feel her tears and her pain. The reader will feel when precious is raped and incested against. And at the end of all these feelings you will feel better about yourself and precious. You see because the reader will realize that my enough may not be your enough and your enough may not be my enough. But thank God he blessed all of us to know when enough is enough. Then we as a woman,mother,sister or child will stand up and do whatever is necessary to succeed. To change what can be changed. Life is change, Change is life. Precoius did the best OF HER ABILITY to change her lifeand that of her son Abdul.
I'm feeling Sapphire with this one and if you the reader are feeling what I am saying Holla Back topazzz6@aol.com
P.S. Blue Rain when you write down your feelings oh how much better you feel.

ARRAY(0x9edbfc9c)

Push: A Novel
Push: A Novel by Sapphire (Paperback - April 29 1997)
CDN$ 16.00 CDN$ 11.55