5.0 out of 5 stars Push by Sapphire
"Push" is a dynamic, living novel that has documented trials and tribulations secretly experienced by many families. The writing is fierce, heart-breaking and harsh, yet can be so true as it documents an ugly story.Themes of poverty, power and control, sexual exploitation, poverty, domination, racism etc. ring through the poetry and Ebonics used by the author to make...
Published on Oct. 18 2009 by Literary Enthusiast

3.0 out of 5 stars Reminder not to write off anyone as a lost cause.
This book was incredibly difficult to read due to the graphic manner in which the subject matter was relayed. But this same graphic manner made the book that much more powerful of a read.
Sapphire does a great job first having us identify the main character, Precious Jones, as other, someone separate from us, and then slowly pulling us in to get to know her. This...
Published on March 7 2000 by Liesl English

2.0 out of 5 stars kinda disturbing, May 29 2001
"eca27" (straight outta jerzee) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Push: A Novel (Paperback)
i don't know what to say about this particular book. It was a hard read, given the fact that it was written EXACTLY how the character was supposed to have been speaking, and the fact that her father was so terrible as was her mother, it made it hard to continue. However there was a certain feeling you got as you read that made you want to know the outcome of this troubled girls' life. Like i said ............kinda disturbing.

3.0 out of 5 stars My Opinion On Push, March 16 2001
Delila (Paterson,N.J.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Push: A Novel (Paperback)
I thought the book was very sad.I never thought children could go through things like that especially at such a young age.It shows how the world really is and how people can be cruel.I thought it could have had a better ending and less vulgarity.It is a great book to read if you have went through the same thing or something similar.I recommend it to older teens and adults.It may be to harse for young teens to read and understand.I also thought it should have had a better title.I felt the ending should have let us know what happen to her and her chldren.Did things get better or did they get worse?I thought the book could have been better.I enjoyed reading it although it was sad and very cruel.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Most Depressing Book I Have Ever Read, March 12 1998
This review is from: Push (Hardcover)
PUSH was on of the most depressing pieces of trash I have ever read. The character whose name happens to be Precious, was never redeemed. Although in life, things are not all happy and gay, this character had NOTHING good happen to her. The end of the tale made it even more depressing! Sapphire could have put at least one good thing in the novel. I would not recommend this book to my enemies.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lurid, manipulative, stereotypical trash, Nov. 21 1997
Vaughn A. Carney (Vermont USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Push (Hardcover)
Every hot-button dysfunction is thrown into this miasma of garbage. This vile book is nothing more than The Color Purple, updated and dumbed down so that any moron can read it. Haven't we seen enough from the "'buked-and-scorned" genre? An utter waste of paper and ink.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pure Pathos, Aug. 25 2000
Dutch Fichthorn (Lincoln, NE

Lincoln, NE USA) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Push: A Novel (Paperback)
I found "Push" to be an exercise in pathos that leads to a layering of unbelievably hyperbolic situations and purple prose. The reliance on sexual language and description of sexual acts is pedantic and obnoxious. The story is written well enough for me to cheer for the focus character, but, artistically, the book is sophomoric. The style is reminiscant of an immature writer trying to gain respect through gritty language and shifts of narrative voice -- the language choices are justified given the personae of the dramatized narrator, but the voice shifts are illogical and ill conceived. Character development is simplistic. I would not recommend "Push" to anyone with a weak stomach which puts it on the level of a bad carnival ride.

3.0 out of 5 stars an none interesting book, March 16 2001
courtney dias (Paterson,NewJeresy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Push: A Novel (Paperback)
I think this book is like so not interesting. the book is about a girl name Claireece Precious Jonesand she gets sexually abused by her mother and father.She do not have an education and all she knows is curse words and sex. She has two kids by her dad. Her father rapes her almost every night. Her mother beats her and makes her clean ,cook, and make her do sexual things to her.Later she gets to go to a school for children like her. In that school she met a few friends and she learned how to read and wright.She discovers that she have received the aids viris and her father dies . Her second child did not recieve the aids viris . So this book is not really interesting to read because it's very sad.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull Repetative Story; Whispy Weak Girl Character, April 5 1999
This review is from: Push (Hardcover)
I have no idea how these "depressing" morbid stories can attract readers, mostly girls, and they somehow say they can relate to the character. I hated, and I mean HATED, the way it was written, it was full of all that negro language which made it hard to understand. Yes, I understand that may have been to emphasis this girl's way of speech and upbringing, but it was way overhauled.
The whole story was just too much for me, you might as well go and buy "Go Ask Alice" or "Crosses".

1.0 out of 5 stars sad sad, Oct. 9 2001
This review is from: Push (Hardcover)
maybe i missed something but this book had no point. and i can't see how this could educate or inform anyone

Push: A Novel
Push: A Novel by Sapphire (Paperback - April 29 1997)
CDN$ 16.00 CDN$ 11.55