5.0 out of 5 stars A very rewarding experience, but one you have to earn
It has been said that a classic is a work that everyone wants to have read, but which no one actually wants to read. Now, having read this novel, I agree wholeheartedly with that statement. I'm glad I read it, and was certainly thoroughly enlightened by its message and its incredible range of philosophical and intellectual topics, but I must admit that reading this book...
Published on March 12 2003 by bixodoido

3.0 out of 5 stars Of Relative Value
Well, I finally broke down and slugged my way through it. (Actually, this was attempt number two.) I may be way off, but to me this is a novelist's novel, a literary effort best appreciated by literary students and not by one who reads purely for pleasure and intellectual or artistic gratification. To someone who, like me, just likes to read and has always been curious...
Published on Jan. 3 2004 by Jeffrey C. Zoerner

5.0 out of 5 stars If there were ten stars..., April 17 2004
P. Domnguez "pd" (Santiago, Chile.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Magic Mountain (Paperback)
Someone once asked what was The Magic Mountain about. After thinking for a little while, answered I: It's about Men, it's about Time, it's about Love, it's about Europe. Then it's sort of philosophy? he said. Yes, it's philosophy.
May this words help everyone who's looking everywhere for substantial and deep literature. Mann's Magic Mountain is just superb. A book that will shake and smack your mind. Like Dostoievsky, like Kafka, like Cervantes, like Greek Tragedy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sickness and Death, Sept. 16 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Magic Mountain (Paperback)
And a huge waste of time - no wonder there was World War I. One reason is that literary/intellectual/philosophy types don't have common sense and they get all of us in trouble with them. You may have to read the book to realize this (thus the second star). Yeah, please read the book a second time, a third time... to get the full meaning. Better yet, please memorize the book. And do it while you're staying at a sanatorium in Davos. And please lose your sense of time. How much would it cost you to stay at Davos?...Please stay for 7 years - it would only cost you a little more than [a few bucks].

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, obsolete and most obviously from another era, July 3 2002
Paul J (nr London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Magic Mountain (Paperback)
Among the very worst books I have ever read. I won't detail the plot (such as it is) as others have done. I can't relate to these characters at all. A century is not necessarily a long time but in terms of attitude these people might as well be from another world.
No swearing, no rage, no hate. Conversations between characters are artifical and often just statements of politics, philosophy, religion.Endless descriptions of food eaten, clothes worn.
If this was the only book in the world I would never read a written word again I hated it that much. The author could kill people with boredom and intellectual waffle without getting to any point.He manages to say in 1000 words what another author could say in 10. Not so much a novel as a sort of encyclopedia of descriptions of the human body, attitudes to life and being bored.
Life is too short to read this.
A book like Stephen King's 'It' is worth a 5/5 for it's sense of fun, drama, depth, terror, endless stories and characters. This book is for me a 1/5

1.0 out of 5 stars oh puleeez!, Dec 1 2001
"karen___marie" (fall river, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Magic Mountain (Paperback)
thomas mann was a GREAT writer, don't get me wrong. however, it is my feeling that Magic Mountain is one of the most overrated books in history. it is dull! it is boring! it inspires somnolence! and that is being polite. thomas mann wrote so many other truly wonderful books, i find it very sad when people pick up magic mountain, throw it down in disgust and never read another book by this great author. let me name a few ... Royal Highness, Buddenbrooks, Transposed Heads, the Black Swan. i have not read the joseph books because my local library has never had the first volume in the set and i can't read them out of order. good reading to you all.

The Magic Mountain
The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann (Paperback - Oct. 1 1996)
CDN$ 23.00 CDN$ 16.61