5.0 out of 5 stars Pure delight
Let's face it. The world has changed a lot since the prolific genius Suess (aka Theodore S. Geisel) penned this classic tale in 1950. The expanse of time, however, has not rendered this rhymed story any less fun for the younger set than it was then.
Published on July 16 2002 by Alyssa A. Lappen

3.0 out of 5 stars Best Book Ever
Published on March 3 2001 by James

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure delight, July 16 2002
This review is from: If I Ran the Zoo (Hardcover)
True enough, young Gerald McGrew complains that the lions and tigers in a pretty good zoo are "awfully old-fashioned"--before dreaming about catching new ones in an equally old-fashioned way.
But most readers--in fact, all but the biggest of stuffed shirts--will quickly forget the politically incorrect aspects of the cages and trap-doodles McGrew imagines taking to the wild mountains of Zomba-ma-Tant and Tobsk, not to mention Motta-fa-Potta-fa-Pell and Hippo-no-Hungus. The machines are pretty amusing--including the Skeegle-mobile, the Bad-Animal-Catching-Machine and the Cooker-mobile.
Travelers through these pages also encounter the gol-darndest lion, with ten feet; topknot hens, an Elephant-Cat, a Gusset, a Gherkin a Gasket, a Tufted Mazurka, a Nerkle, a Nerd, a Bippo-no-Bungus--the list goes on and on--and a Seersucker too (get it?).
If he ran the zoo, Gerald would make a few changes, that's just what he'd do. But changes to this book would totally destroy it. 'What this zoo must be worth!" Gerald imagines crowds cheering. "It's the gol-darndest zoo/ On the face of the earth!"
Got that right, young master Gerald. Alyssa A. Lappen

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that named the Nerds, Feb. 6 2004
Alonso Maisterrena (México, D.F. Mexico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If I Ran the Zoo (Hardcover)
Actually this book is the one that introduced for the first time the word NERD. The widly spread use of this word was taken from a curiosly angry character in this book. Only for that, this book deserves to be a classic. But aside that, this book is probably the best work of Dr. Seuss. It is very imaginative, beutifully illustrated and impressively well writen.
A must have for every child. I'm mexican and this book illustrations made me learn english. I truly recommend this title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Children can See Possibilities That Grownups Dont, Sept. 3 2003
This review is from: If I Ran the Zoo (Hardcover)
A timeless and fun romp of imagination - children are so gifted at seeing beyond how things are to how they could be. If more grown-ups would read books like this with their kids and reconnect with their innate creative self, we could really create a better world of possibilities!
I also recommend: If I Ran the Circus -and- If I Ran the Family !

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best.., Sept. 5 2001
This review is from: If I Ran the Zoo (Hardcover)
In "review" of the current online reviews - y'all just don't get it. Dr. Suess' books are about using ones imagination, not just the environment (which y'all seem to take literally), but how we treat, and take life (ALL life) in general on a day to day basis. Relate the "animals" in "If I Ran the Zoo" or "If I Ran the Circus" to someone you know (or read about). Learn from them. Enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Best Book Ever, March 3 2001
James (Long Island NY, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If I Ran the Zoo (Library Binding)
I am currently in high school. Since I was 2 years old I have been enjoying this classic story. It liberates the imagination, and gives all people of all ages the permission to think creatively and accomplish something important. I have lived by this book since I was young. I will always enjoy it because it is an inspiration to any reader who associates with Gerald McGrew. "And some how or other I think I could find some beasts of a much more unusual kind."

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTE FAVORITE FROM THE DR. !, March 9 2000
LINDA L. LEVEY (WEST CHESTER, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: If I Ran the Zoo (Hardcover)
AS A PARENT AND TEACHER I HAVE ENJOYED THIS SEUSS BOOK MORE THAN ANY OTHER. COUNTLESS TIMES IT WAS READ TO MY OWN CHILDREN AND NOW MY SON IS USING IT IN HIS CLASSROOM AS CLASSIC SEUSS.A MUST BUY FOR YOUR ENJOYMENT AND FOR GENERATIONS TO COME. SHARE IT WITH EVERYONE!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of Dr. Seuss!, Sept. 19 1999
This review is from: If I Ran the Zoo (Hardcover)
"If I Ran the Zoo" is my absolutely favorite book by Dr. Seuss! This book is an instant childhood classic. I cannot remember how many times I begged my grandmother to read it to me. By far one of the Doctor's most imaginative stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars A zoo filled with fanciful animals of the imagination., May 13 1999
This review is from: If I Ran the Zoo (Hardcover)
I first read this children's book when I was much, much younger. And, I still enjoy it. It is about a boy who, if he ran the zoo, would replace all the animals with very unusual species, all of them quite fanciful and imaginative. This book is another illustration of how much the author loved children's imagination and how important it is to develop that imagination. The book was a 1951 Caldecott Honor book (i.e., a runner-up to the Medal winner) for best illustration in a children's book.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Irish rock star can't be wrong, Feb. 2 1999
This review is from: If I Ran the Zoo (Hardcover)
This is the best book I've ever read. Given I've only read Go Dogs Go,Hop on Pop,and The Communist Manifesto. This book was recommended to me by Paul Hewson. Like I said one Irish rock star can't be wrong.

4.0 out of 5 stars If I Ran The Zoo gets thumbs up--two!, April 9 1998
This review is from: If I Ran the Zoo (Hardcover)
The book is wonderful! The illustrations are eye-catching and simple. The rhythm is easy to pick up! The children I have read it to bounce to the rhythme and like to make up there own animals at the end of the story. A family favorite for ALL!!

ARRAY(0xb1247c24)

If I Ran the Zoo
If I Ran the Zoo (Unknown Binding - Jan. 1 1977)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01