5.0 out of 5 stars A must for every young child's library!
The Foot Book is terrific, but be sure that you buy the 32 page white-covered version, not one of the inferior board books.
Published on Oct. 15 2003 by G. McCarthy

2.0 out of 5 stars disapointed
Published on Oct. 21 2003 by rachel stolworthy

2.0 out of 5 stars disapointed, Oct. 21 2003
This review is from: The Foot Book: Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites (Board book)
I was so disapointed in this book! My son (at age 2) loved this book in the original form we had; but he was a bit rough on it & I had to tape our copy a few times! So I searched everywhere for a board book version, and was so happy when I found one. I bought it without reading it first (which I almost never do) and was so disapointed in the quality! The pictures are poorly drawn (I think some of them may even be drawn by someone other than Dr. Seuss? maybe the original drawings could not be reprinted or something) and the rhymes were changed. They are awkward and I can't see why they needed to be changed in the first place! For example, changing "Feet in the morning...Feet at night" to "Feet in the day...Feet in the night". This is poor english, and what was wrong with it the way Dr. Seuss wrote it? Twice, they changed "Feet, feet, feet...how many, many feet you meet" to "how many different feet you meet". Again, why? It just sounds better the other way. And finally, why change "slow feet..quick feet...trick feet...sick feet" to "well feet"? It doesn't even make sense- what are Well Feet? The picture is a dog juggling balls- doing a "trick"! I am surprised that the Seuss trustees, who are usually so protective of Dr. Seuss' work would OK this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for every young child's library!, Oct. 15 2003
G. McCarthy (Chicago) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Foot Book (Hardcover)
My children have loved this book since 6 months. The story is very simple - it shows all different kinds of feet, from wet feet and dry feet to fuzzy fur feet. There aren't many words on each page, so there is lots of page turning to keep the youngest kids interest. Dr. Seuss used a sing-song rhyme, which reads quickly and is very soothing. We read it over and over again.
The artwork is classic Suess, with a focus on feet!
I credit The Foot Book with fostering my children's love of books. At just 12 months my daughter will bring the book to me and climb into my lap for a reading. (Fair warning - you will know this book by heart!)
My older child was bored with this book by about age 2, because it is so simple, but is now enjoying it again as I read it to her sister, and I think it will be a popular choice when she starts learning to read.
My recommendation is to get this book early and enjoy it often!

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this version, get the original!, Oct. 15 2003
G. McCarthy (Chicago) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Foot Book (Board book)
The original hardcover The Foot Book is absolutely awesome, but I had a lot of trouble finding it to buy on Amazon (it has a white cover, not green). For some reason the only versions that came up in my search were the board books. My daughterss have loved this book since they were 6 months old (one is now 12 months and the other is 3 1/2), and my copy is very tired.
Be aware that this version only has 12 pages and has stickers and flaps, which get torn and make a mess. If you're looking for the original version, click on "hardcover edition" on this page and you're all set.
I can't see any reason to purchase the shortened, board book version of this classic unless you're concerned with torn pages. There aren't many words on each page, and the rhymey, sing-song story is short enough to hold your child's attention for the entire book. We read this book together for storytime, and put the sturdier books into the crib for play.
The Foot Book belongs in every small child's library, but go with the real deal, not this dumbed-down version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous!, June 7 2002
This review is from: The Foot Book (Hardcover)
Welcome to the wonderful world of whimsical, wacky writing, and crazy, colorful caricatures - "Up feet. Down feet. Here come clown feet. Small feet. Big feet. Here come pig feet." An excellent educational tool, "Dr. Seuss's, The Foot Book," is an inspired introduction to contrary concepts, left verses, right and just plain silliness through rhyme. It is GREAT fun for children and reader alike.
I own the "adapted" board book edition as well, which is designed to appeal to newborns, and very young children with short attention spans who are not attentive enough for the full text versions. The text, format, and images have been adapted to accommodate board book standards; yet, the phrasing and prose still flow. That being said, the original is just that - ORIGINAL. It is more amusing, entertaining, and educational, but is appropriate for older children, 3 years and older. If your child is three or older purchase an original version, otherwise think of introducing your infant to the shorter, travel-anywhere format, and procure the original at a later date? The marvelous, magical magician, who was Dr. Seuss, is worth it! Three-years and up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Opposites Attract!, June 7 2002
Welcome to the wonderful world of whimsical, wacky writing, and crazy, colorful caricatures. Geeezz, that's hard to read aloud. "The Foot Book, Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites" is an inspired introduction to contrary concepts, such as left verses right, and just plain silliness through rhyme. Wet/dry, high/low, front/back, and well/sick... you get the gist. William LOVED this book when he was a baby. He especially liked the pig page.
"Up feet, down feet, here come clown feet.
Small feet, big feet, here come pig feet."
It's a quick read. It takes less than a minute to complete, although, we'd sit for 5-minutes or more just talking about the illustrations. If you've ever read an original Seuss, then you know what I mean when I say they are whimsical, and colorful. Of course, I am partial to Seuss's illustrated works, rather than the books he wrote and others illustrated for him, such as "The Eye Book". His caricatures are silly, almost fantasy like. He doesn't use a lot of color on each page; however, the overall effect is upbeat, and always entertaining.
"The Foot Book, Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites" is NOT a miniature version of Seuss's, "The Foot Book". The text, and images have been adapted from the original to accommodate board book standards. Yet, the phrasing and prose flow, as is apparent from the above excerpt.
There has been a great deal of controversy regarding these little books. It seems, others think the publisher, has infringed upon the copyright laws. When these "Bright and Early BOARD Books" were released in 2001, the titles, and the covers were the same as the originals. Some were confused, and even angered. Apparently, they thought they were buying smaller, yet full-text copies of the originals. It clearly states they are adapted formats on the back of the cover, so I don't understand what the fuss is all about. Random House has since altered the titles, and covers to indicate the modifications. For instance, "The Foot Book" has a white cover, while "The Foot Book, Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites" has a green background even though the image is the same.
I, for one, was thrilled to have the opportunity to offer my infant son a CLASSIC Seuss narrative, even in it's ADAPTED form. These magical miniatures are delightfully entertaining for little babies. Especially for those who enjoy the positive interaction of cooperative play through reading. The objective of these small books is to appeal to newborns, and very young children who are not attentive enough for the full-text versions. They are NOT meant to replace the originals. Moreover, these pocketsize gems are fashioned for effortless travel to the market, on a plane, in the car, or on a train. Hee, hee... that's my own Seuss inspired rhyme. Birth and up.
Happy Reading,
Mary

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Early Reader!, Oct. 13 2000
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 127,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Foot Book (Library Binding)
Researchers constantly find that reading to children is valuable in a variety of ways, not least of which are instilling a love of reading and improved reading skills. With better parent-child bonding from reading, your child will also be more emotionally secure and able to relate better to others. Intellectual performance will expand as well. Spending time together watching television fails as a substitute.
To help other parents apply this advice, as a parent of four I consulted an expert, our youngest child, and asked her to share with me her favorite books that were read to her as a young child. The Foot Book was one of her picks.
Dr. Seuss understood the elements of a successful early reader: Lots of repetition, visual adjectives, and hilarious drawings to tie it all together and keep the child racing forward. The Foot Book is perhaps his most successful basic reader.
But what makes this book even more remarkable is that it teaches basic concepts as well such as left versus right (that most chidren are sorting out at this age), high and low, front and back, and counting.
I was further impressed by the obvious encouragement for children to notice feet, and become better observers. You can follow up in this way with your child by asking her or him what was noticed that day about feet.
Please note that this book is quite different from the board book that came out with a similar title in 1996. Avoid that one, and use this one instead.
Have a ball with feet!

4.0 out of 5 stars The joy of feet, Jan. 5 2001
This review is from: The Foot Book (Hardcover)
"Small feet / Big feet / Here come pig feet." With rhymes like this, you know you're in Dr. Seuss territory--in this case, in "The Foot Book." One of Seuss' "Bright and Early" books for beginner readers, this book combines extremely simple rhyming vocabulary with colorful, charming illustrations.
While "The Foot Book" is not quite in the same league with Dr. Seuss' most imaginative and innovative works, it is still a very enjoyable book. And it contains several characteristically "Seussian" characters, including 6-, 8-, and 10-legged creatures that look like they stepped out of a child-friendly science fiction film. I definitely recommend this book to beginning readers, and to older fans of Dr. Seuss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flows Well, July 20 2002
A. Y. Smittle (Winchester, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Foot Book (Hardcover)
Recommended for ages 2 and up. "Left foot, left foot, left foot, right. Feet in the morning, feet at night." Ah, how many times I have read and reread that---this is another good one of Seuss'. The best part is that its a lot SHORTER in duration than, say, One Fish Two Fish or Cat in the Hat. Its all about feet---"his feet, her feet, twenty-four feet," etc. My two year old has problems with Seuss's classic characters--what is that mommy?
A dog? A duck? Yeah, sure... But this book is fun to read in the classroom and at home. Not so much a direct learning experience on feet---:) but a rhyme and rhythm that will certainly entertain and enlighten youngsters to learning to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Foot Book: By Dr. Seuss", Sept. 23 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Foot Book (Hardcover)
"The Foot Book" is about teaching children how each creature walks, how many feet it may have, and which foot is which. This book teaches the lesson of (as I have already mentioned) which foot is which, what the name of each foot is, and how many different legs does each creature has. The grade level for this book would be about a Pre-school - Kindergarten book due to the lack of words and more pictures. This book is a very good learning experience for every small child who is just learning new things or just getting to know what is right and what is left. I recommend it to every family that has a small child between the ages of 3 and 4.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another sensibly non-sensible book by this fun-loving author, March 18 1998
This review is from: The Foot Book (Hardcover)
Dr. Suess had the enviable privilage of being able to see into the workings of a child's mind then harness that special zaniness on paper. Some of his works defy the adult's strictly defined ideas of the way things are, but children recognize and appreciate a kindred spirit... THE FOOT BOOK unwitttingly teaches numbers and opposites while highlighting the many different kinds of people there are in the world. It is a very readable length that doesn't leave the tired parent snoring on an open book and the illustrations are bright and attention-grabbing. I recommend this as a staple book in the toddler through kindergartners home library.

The Foot Book: Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites
The Foot Book: Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites by Dr. Seuss (Board book - Nov. 26 1996)
CDN$ 6.50 CDN$ 6.18