5.0 out of 5 stars Opposites Attract!
Published on June 7 2002 by History_of_Art_Geek

2.0 out of 5 stars disapointed
Published on Oct. 21 2003 by rachel stolworthy

2.0 out of 5 stars disapointed, Oct. 21 2003
This review is from: The Foot Book: Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites (Board book)
I was so disapointed in this book! My son (at age 2) loved this book in the original form we had; but he was a bit rough on it & I had to tape our copy a few times! So I searched everywhere for a board book version, and was so happy when I found one. I bought it without reading it first (which I almost never do) and was so disapointed in the quality! The pictures are poorly drawn (I think some of them may even be drawn by someone other than Dr. Seuss? maybe the original drawings could not be reprinted or something) and the rhymes were changed. They are awkward and I can't see why they needed to be changed in the first place! For example, changing "Feet in the morning...Feet at night" to "Feet in the day...Feet in the night". This is poor english, and what was wrong with it the way Dr. Seuss wrote it? Twice, they changed "Feet, feet, feet...how many, many feet you meet" to "how many different feet you meet". Again, why? It just sounds better the other way. And finally, why change "slow feet..quick feet...trick feet...sick feet" to "well feet"? It doesn't even make sense- what are Well Feet? The picture is a dog juggling balls- doing a "trick"! I am surprised that the Seuss trustees, who are usually so protective of Dr. Seuss' work would OK this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Opposites Attract!, June 7 2002
Welcome to the wonderful world of whimsical, wacky writing, and crazy, colorful caricatures. Geeezz, that's hard to read aloud. "The Foot Book, Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites" is an inspired introduction to contrary concepts, such as left verses right, and just plain silliness through rhyme. Wet/dry, high/low, front/back, and well/sick... you get the gist. William LOVED this book when he was a baby. He especially liked the pig page.
"Up feet, down feet, here come clown feet.
Small feet, big feet, here come pig feet."
It's a quick read. It takes less than a minute to complete, although, we'd sit for 5-minutes or more just talking about the illustrations. If you've ever read an original Seuss, then you know what I mean when I say they are whimsical, and colorful. Of course, I am partial to Seuss's illustrated works, rather than the books he wrote and others illustrated for him, such as "The Eye Book". His caricatures are silly, almost fantasy like. He doesn't use a lot of color on each page; however, the overall effect is upbeat, and always entertaining.
"The Foot Book, Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites" is NOT a miniature version of Seuss's, "The Foot Book". The text, and images have been adapted from the original to accommodate board book standards. Yet, the phrasing and prose flow, as is apparent from the above excerpt.
There has been a great deal of controversy regarding these little books. It seems, others think the publisher, has infringed upon the copyright laws. When these "Bright and Early BOARD Books" were released in 2001, the titles, and the covers were the same as the originals. Some were confused, and even angered. Apparently, they thought they were buying smaller, yet full-text copies of the originals. It clearly states they are adapted formats on the back of the cover, so I don't understand what the fuss is all about. Random House has since altered the titles, and covers to indicate the modifications. For instance, "The Foot Book" has a white cover, while "The Foot Book, Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites" has a green background even though the image is the same.
I, for one, was thrilled to have the opportunity to offer my infant son a CLASSIC Seuss narrative, even in it's ADAPTED form. These magical miniatures are delightfully entertaining for little babies. Especially for those who enjoy the positive interaction of cooperative play through reading. The objective of these small books is to appeal to newborns, and very young children who are not attentive enough for the full-text versions. They are NOT meant to replace the originals. Moreover, these pocketsize gems are fashioned for effortless travel to the market, on a plane, in the car, or on a train. Hee, hee... that's my own Seuss inspired rhyme. Birth and up.
Happy Reading,
Mary

5.0 out of 5 stars Whew, What a Relief!, June 11 2002
Tanique (Arlington, Tx) - See all my reviews
I first saw this book at my son's pediatrician's office. What a relief it was to read this book and play with his feet, while my then 4 mon old son was getting his shots. He was so excited and amazed with the words and expressions of the book that he forgot about his multiple shots. Reading this book took away some of the fight he usually puts up and he didn't care much about the sting of the needle during this visit. Now at 11 mons, he is still fasinated by the words nd pictures in the book! I take it everywhere we go mainly Dr appts just in case. Great reading! Great fun. What a relief!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great first listening book...., May 11 2004
By A Customer
I didn't know what to expect when I purchased this book. I should have known, having grown up with Dr. Seuss myself.
This book kept my daughter's attention on more than one occassion and as she got older she was able to read the book herself.
Just the words themselves: Left foot, left foot, right foot right.... are enough to keep any child happy.
My daughter, who is now a teenager, still puts this book at the top of her list of all time favorites. She loves to purchase this book for the little children that she baby sits, so that they can enjoy the book as much as she had.

4.0 out of 5 stars How many many feet you eat, May 10 2000
Reading is fundamental-but it all starts with chewing. My son loves to chew on this book. Board books are excellent for chewing; or at least my son thinks so. In contrast my daughter and I read this book together. We also love this book; but be warned ... we come to the task without using our sense of taste. Yet it is a tasteful book. Dr. Seuss was indeed a great writer. And that bears itself out in this wonderful book. This is clearly illustrated by the fact that after thirty-two years of his first publishing The Foot Book, Dr. Seuss has my son eating his feet.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Foot Book, Dec 16 2001
By A Customer
The Foot Book, is a great book for little children. This book teaches begining readers easy words to read, and opposites. By the time you finish this book you will be able to tell your right foot from your left foot, morning from night, small from big, up from down, high from low, dry from wet, and slow from quick. Kids will read this book over and over again, because its a fun read, it rhymes, and its so easy that kids can read it themselves with out any help. I recommend The Foot Book to anyone who is just begining and wants an easy and fun book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sure to Please, June 9 2002
apoem "apoem" (Bosque Farms, NM USA) - See all my reviews
A typical Dr. Suess book: Some wacky illustrations that are really fun, great rhyming and rythm, easy to read, and fun.
I enjoy reading this book with my almost three year old and my 15 month old. They enjoy the rythm of the words. The words and the text match which makes reading this book that much more enjoyable. The exaggerations are funny and makes my three year old laugh.
We read this book and then think of the things we can do with our feet- walk, hop etc. and act them out.
Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars He knows where his foot is now!, March 28 2000
Maria Vaughan (Duluth, Georgia USA) - See all my reviews
My son, Ian, has loved this book since day one! My husband and I can recite it by heart it's been read so much; and when we do recite it Ian goes to his stack of books, picks it up and toddles over to one of us to read it to him. He kicks his foot or feet in the air as we read and when we're done he turns it back to page one and makes us read it again. It's a wonderful book - one any child would enjoy and any parent would love to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Wonderful, Jan. 5 2001
Millicent J. Kelly "M. Kelly" (Jupiter, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This book is the favorite in our home, and has been since my son was five months old. He sits very patiently as I read it and complains when it is over. Although there are other favorites in this series (Woset in My Closet and Mr. Brown Can Moo), the foot book is the one that after six months of use has become almost unrecognizable due to the amount of times it has been looked through and read. Truely amazing reading for babies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for early readers!, July 18 1998
By A Customer
My 3-year old twin boys love this book! It's simple enough for them to "read" to each other. One boy was talking the other night and I went in to see who was there...Dr. Seuss was. He reads the pictures of course, so "sick feet" is interpreted as "band-aid feet"! It gives them a big sense of accomplishment, especially competing with each other all the time.

The Foot Book: Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites
The Foot Book: Dr. Seuss's Wacky Book of Opposites by Dr. Seuss (Board book - Nov. 26 1996)
CDN$ 6.50 CDN$ 6.18