Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Fall Tools

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(3 star)show all reviews
on May 18, 2000
A Bridge Too Far, relating the events that lead to the Allied defeat in the Operation Market-Garden, is one of the most poignant and moving books I have the honor to read. It was simply too deep for mere words. As I read accounts ater accounts of the courage and the chivalry displayed by both sides (Allied and German) in the operation, I was both stunned and amazed. I also found the tragedy of war most acutely displayed in this account, as the author notes failures upon failures which ultimately lead to the allied defeat. It was so sad to find that the Allied side so underestimated the German forces, distrusted the Dutch, overlooked basic intelligence, and overall planned and sent men on a ridiculous mission... even a military dilletante like me could see the fallacy of a single tank file over a 80 mile corridor in enemy territory. Just shows that you shoudl enevr ever underestimate your foes.
However, that is not to say this was a wonderful book, more as it accurately and stirringly portrayed all those relevant information into an understandable analysis of the Allied failure. I am much indebted to the author for putting this book into my hands (figuratively speaking). As good as his other book, the Longest Day, and helluva lot better then any 2-3 hr movie could possibly be.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on September 29, 2003
You can tell that Ryan has done tremendous research into Operation Market Garden. But his writing style comes off as much too dry for anyone but the most avid WW II enthusiast. I am very much interested in this topic, but am not a rabid WW II fanatic. As such, I have tried no less than 6 times to read this book and can never finish it. I usually get to about 1/3 of it and have to put it back on the shelf.
So be forewarned, it will not appeal to people with a passing intereset in WW II.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again