5.0 out of 5 stars Play the Game not Yourself

Published on May 27 2003 by Ecnal Yeldnil

5.0 out of 5 stars Play the Game not Yourself, May 5 2003
David Parker (Auckland New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Hardcover)
I have just read this book and was initially skeptical on the impact Dr Rotella's suggestions would have on my game. This book helped me not to put extra pressure on myself and to concentrate on the purpose of the game NOT a perfect swing. The result - the best long game I have played in years!!! This book gives every golfer a reality check and tells them exactly what golf is. Its the toughest game on the planet and kicking yourself for not hitting good shots throughout the round destroys your chances of playing your best. Standing on the driving range hitting balls and playing on the golfcourse are 2 different things. If 90% of golf is mental why does everyone spend all of their time hitting thousands of balls and reading books on the mechanics of the golf swing? Devote time working on your mental game - it will put you on another level.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the book I expected it to be, May 27 2003
Ecnal Yeldnil (Yokohama, Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Hardcover)
For me, the book was a huge disappointment. Despite the zen-like, poetic title, there is nothing artistic or inspirational about this book's writing style, and the little bits of instruction scattered among the author's self-congratulatory anecdotes have by now become absolute common knowledge -- as fundamental as a book on how to carry your golf bag. Most of the advice is along the lines of picture the shot you want to hit, pick out a target and hit your ball to it, don't dwell on bad shots, hit each shot with a fresh mind, clear your mind of swing mechanics while on the course, etc.
The book was written in 1995, so justifications can be made for its style and lack of innovation. Perhaps these ideas have just been so thoroughly accepted into the mainstream that in hindsight they seem obvious. Perhaps sports psychology was such a bizarre notion in 1995, that Rotella felt compelled to continually hammer us with how "ordinary" his advice is and how accepted it is among his PGA friends. Regardless of what the book was in the 90's, to the 21st century buyer, it is singularly un-useful. One copy each of Golf Digest and Golf Magazine will give you the same tips on the mental approach and will be far more entertaining to boot.
The most wearisome aspect of the book is author Rotella's incessant name-dropping of famous clients, friends and associates. Rotella seems more intent on telling you how successful and right HE is than on how to improve your own thinking and ultimately your golf game. Anecdotes have a place in instruction books, certainly; but they need to be entertaining and informative. Very little of this book is really entertaining, and the copious anecdotes tend to simply support the underlying theme that the author has befriended golf's elite.
In a typical example, Rotella opens Nick Price's eyes with the flabbergasting revelation that when things go wrong on the course, Nick could envision things going right, rather than getting down on himself. Rotella closes the tale by saying, "After listening to this for awhile, Nick said, 'If I had known this was what you were going to talk about, I would have come to see you a long time ago.'
'Why didn't you?' I asked.
'I was afraid you'd be into something weird. I didn't realize it would be this logical and sensible.'
Rotella spends most of the first three chapters convincing you that he is logical and sensible, and dropping as many names as he can to support his claim. The entire experience reads like a pitch to a publisher or the inside flap of a dust cover more than a book on how to improve my own mental approach to golf. Similar "me" stories continue to pop up throughout the book, drawing your attention away from any few helpful tips and brings that attention back squarely onto the author, which appears to be where Rotella really wants it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Things Do Come in Small Packages, May 13 2003
M. A Netzley "mnetzley" (Singapore) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Hardcover)
Every once in a while I stumble across a book that improves my ability to do something I enjoy. Several years back I read a book called "Fly Fishing Small Streams" which profoundly improved my fly fishing success. Now, I have read Bob Rotella's "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" and it seems to be in the exact same category. As an eternal 18 handicap who always seems to be one or two stupid holes away from a great round, this book has helped me find a frame of mind that at least reduces the impact these bad holes have on my game--and increases my enjoyment of the game.
The book is filled with straight-ahead, commonsense advice. I seriously doubt that you will read many new ideas in this book. What Rotella does so well is tell stories--he presents the ideas--in a way that makes the advice impactful. I remember his advice during a round. Additionally, the book is clearly written and is easy to read. I suspect the average reader could complete this book in four to six hours. In my case, these were four-to-six hours well spent.
Key lessons include not becoming too concerned with your swing mechanics, how to practice, how to focus on a target, how to respond to a mistake or bad shot, the consequences of always looking at your score and figuring what you need to "break 85", conservative course strategy, and simply trusting your swing. Along the way, we read stories of many famous golfers who have dealt with these issues and more. We see how some have responded well, and we also see how some of these golfers could improve. The book is a nice blend of testimonial, stories, and sound advice.
The author directs the Sports Psychology program at the University of Virginia and works with players such as Tom Kite, Nick Price, and Brad Faxon. He seems well positioned to write a book such as this. I would not consider this book to be arm-chair psychology. Dr. Rotella gives sound advice in an easy-to-read form.
In short, I am giving book copies to some of my best friends. I have been pleased with the results I am showing on the course and practice range since reading this book. I would like to share those results with my friends. I am playing better and enjoying the game more. Thanks Doc!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Hiaasen!, Aug. 12 2013
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Hardcover)
No better summer read out there! There's nothing like a good laugh to go with a cold beer on the patio.

3.0 out of 5 stars This book is not all it's cracked up to be..., June 14 2013
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Hardcover)
I had bought this book for my dad for Christmas. It was listed as a bestseller in the golf category, however he didn't like it. He said it repeated a lot of the same points and he didn't take a lot away from it. I was going to buy additional books in this series for him, but glad i held off.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Investment in Your Game You'll Ever Make!, Sept. 20 2003
William R Smith (Murrieta, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Hardcover)
I was a twenty something handicap for twenty something years, but here I am twenty something days since reading Dr. Rotella's wonderfully simple, yet powerful book, Golf is Not a Game of Perfect, with a personal best golf score of "79"!
Please read this book and I guarantee you that your game will improve.
Thanks doc! -Bill Smith, Murrieta, CA

5.0 out of 5 stars Really makes you think before you go to the course, June 12 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Hardcover)
This book isn't so much about the right swing or the right gear it's about your mind state and letting go.
I got this book for my boyfriend who has competed for years. He read it 3 times in 3 weeks and just couldn't put it down. You should get one for the golfer in your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Important Book!, March 13 2003
Jeff Richardson (Miamisburg, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Hardcover)
This is an outstanding book filled with common sense, wit and wisdom from a true student and lover of the game: Bob Rotella. Rotella books have been a big factor in me bringing my handicap down from 20 to 3 over the last three years. Rotella uses stories to illustrate his ideas and concepts, making them easier to remember and understand. Much more entertaining than do this, don't do that type instruction. Great instruction for life as well as golf, especially his ideas on pursuing your dreams, hard work and overcoming obstacles. This book is great for competitive golfers and recreational golfers. Rotella teaches you to love and enjoy the process of improving and playing regardless of results for that given day. One of the hardest aspects of this book to implement is his suggestion that if you are not spending 90 percent of your practice time on shots from a 100 yards and in, you are not practicing to become the best player you can be. Yet he is correct. The more I pracice the scoring shots, the better I get. This is a book that every golfer should read.

5.0 out of 5 stars OK to Make a Mistake, Feb. 17 2003
John D. Smead "seeker" (coto de caza, california United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Hardcover)
Read this along with Putting out of Your Mind by Rotella.
Puts golf into a perspective that helped me to focus on improvement and what is working not what isnt working..made me want to go out and play more..
fast reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars OK to Make a Mistake, Feb. 17 2003
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Hardcover)
Read this along with Putting out of Your Mind by Rotella.
fast reading.

Golf is Not a Game of Perfect
Golf is Not a Game of Perfect by Dr. Bob Rotella (Hardcover - May 9 1995)
CDN$ 28.99 CDN$ 18.17