5.0 out of 5 stars The price to be paid
Published on Dec 5 2005 by FrKurt Messick

3.0 out of 5 stars Wears on You Over Time
I used to think this was one of the most important spiritual books ever written. Over time, though, I have come to the realization that Bonhoeffer's sacrifice -- his failed attempt to assassinate Hitler -- was in itself an attempt at "cheap grace", the very thing he decried. He isolated himself from his community, and lacked the courage and fortitude to speak...
Published on Jan. 13 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars The price to be paid, Dec 5 2005
FrKurt Messick "FrKurt Messick" (Bloomington, IN USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
Dietrich Bonhoeffer was one who knew of that which he spoke when dealing with the issue of cheap grace versus costly grace. Bonhoeffer's commitment to the principles of his vocation and being cost him his life - executed in the closing days of World War II, Bonhoeffer walked a dangerous path through exercising his vocation faithfully in the midst of the twin evils of warfare and Nazi domination of Germany.
Bonhoeffer's life, from the earliest days, probably seemed like it was set on an idyllic path - the son of a professional family with strong roots in a prosperous and civilised culture, Bonhoeffer would seem to have 'had it made'. His early days in school showed him to be a minister and academic of great promise. However, his experiences at Union Seminary in New York City, an academic environment very different from the German academy, and at the Abyssian Baptist Church, an African-American congregation, vastly different from his Germanic Lutheran background, prepared a way for Bonhoeffer to expand beyond his upbringing and learning to become someone striving to find God in all people, and the will of God in all that he did.
The subject of this book is grace - too often, in Bonhoeffer's day and our own, people seem to look at grace as something free, instead of something freely offered. Bonhoeffer points out that the call of God and the gift of God's grace is not to be taken lightly - 'the call to follow Jesus always leads to death'. This may seem an unusual call in our day; after all, the more prosperous of our churches would seem to espouse a conventionally respectable lifestyle (far from the 'death' Bonhoeffer speaks about) as the reward for following God. However, Bonhoeffer uses the example of the disciples, each of whom faced martyrdom, as did many early Christian leaders, as a touchstone for the vocation.
Bonhoeffer also gives a great deal of attention in this text to the Sermon on the Mount, providing interpretations that still speak to congregations today, but also with warnings. Bonhoeffer admonishes those who would pick and choose the parts of scripture, or indeed the parts of the Sermon on the Mount, that fit what they want to hear, disregarding the rest. Bonhoeffer writes that we are not called to interpret, but to obey, giving ourselves up to God, as the disciples did, as martyrs did, and as Bonhoeffer himself would do in the fullness of his lifetime.
The real substance of the book is in Bonhoeffer's own words. Cheap grace was the deadly enemy of the church then, and it remains a dangerous foe to this day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why did Jesus die for you?, May 3 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Cost of Discipleship (Paperback)
I agree with the others who have praised this book; even their minor criticisms I share. I have read it through very carefully twice (once in my 30's; later in my 50's) and have moderated a Sunday School discussion class who took on Bonhoeffer and read him very carefully and critically against the Bible. Bonhoeffer (who, amazingly, wrote this book at age 31) did his Lord proud.
This is not an easy book to read. It is meat, not milk. Yes, you do have to be a saint, i.e. a believer, i.e. a disciple in order to be a Christian. Having faith means being faithful. Having faith means bearing fruit. Having faith means being a disciple. Calling Jesus, "Lord" means obeying Him. Jesus, not Bonhoeffer, not the RC Church nor Luther nor Calvin nor whoever else may "speak to you" is the One Who says, "Take up your cross and follow me." Pastor Bonhoeffer leads the reader through some fairly profound meditations on discipleship. One does not simply read this book as though it were a magazine story; he must read and re-read and re-read again passage after passage as he works his way through it.
If you are quite comfortable in knowing you are "saved by grace through faith," and freed from the tyranny of the works of the flesh and the Law, wonderful. But ask yourself whether Jesus suffered and died on the cross just so you could be comfortable in your "faith." If it occurs to you that there may be more to faith than creeds, confessions, and church attendance, that you were given the gift - and gifts - of the Spirit for some purpose other than as a voucher for your personal ticket to Heaven, you may find this book very helpful. In any event, should you read it, it will challenge you in many marvellous ways.
It is quite difficult, I think, to fully appreciate what the man wrote without understanding and contemplating what was going on (and eventually transpired) in his life, church, country, and world. Thus, I recommend that anyone who reads this learn as much about these other things as he reasonably can, for which purpose there are many options, including books, articles, and films on video and DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cost of Discipleship, April 20 2004
Josh Daniels "jd83" (Maple Grove, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cost of Discipleship (Paperback)
The exposition of the Sermon on the Mount is fantastic. Boenhoeffer is straight-forward and leaves you no wiggle room in terms of conviction. He has a gift for communicating our thought processes as we try to justify sin in our lives, and I was amazed that his insight was written decades ago in a different country, because they perfectly described the way I think today.
The last fourth of the book was a little "thicker" to me, and I did not get as much out of it. The author's thoughts were not as lucid once he got out of the Sermon on the Mount passage, and they did not communicate as much to me personally. However, the first 3/4 of this book is so powerful that I would recommend it to anyone.
Be prepared to face your comfortable habits and ways of thought in a new light if you read this book. The Word is a sword, and Bonhoeffer uses it to penetrate us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Reading for All Christians, March 22 2004
Texaspresbyterian (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cost of Discipleship (Paperback)
This book is a must read for anyone who calls himself a Christian. I particularly like Bohnhoeffer's concept of 'cheap grace' and how it is our mortal enemy.
Cheap grace? To quote Bonhoeffer himself, "It is the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline, Communion without confession, absolution without personal confession. Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ, living and incarnate." In contrast, 'real grace' will cost a man his life.
This concept of grace, as Bonhoeffer showed by the example of his life and just as importantly his death, stands in stark contrast to the pop Christianity 'Happy Church' movement we so often see on Sunday morning TV - or just down the street.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Won't Go Wrong With Bonhoeffer, Feb. 1 2004
This review is from: The Cost of Discipleship (Paperback)
WWII gave us a new definition of evil, but it also gave us some bright spots. I've always heard that light shines brightest in the darkness. If you have not read this book . . . GET IT! This is the book that made Bonhoeffer my favorite theologian.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Theological Work of the 20th Century, Jan. 8 2004
Jim Ross "JimboJim" (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cost of Discipleship (Paperback)
Whether you are a conservative or progressive Christian, there is something for you in this amazing work. Even for non-Christians, this book has a lot to say about what it means to live a truly committed life. It's not an easy read, but it's so very worth the time. This is very arguably the greatest theological work of the 20th Century.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that will change your faith!, Nov. 11 2003
N. Sandy Ferguson (Edmonton, AB) - See all my reviews
Where does one begin?
This is a book that will profoundly change your understanding about what it means to be a person of faith in the world. Bonhoeffer challenges us to look beyond the values of this world, and asks us are we willing to embrace the true cost of discipleship? His analysis of cheap grace, and its corrupting influence reminds us that there are times that we have to challenge the powers of this world, that there are times when to be a good Christian means we can't always be a good citizen.
Bonhoeffer wrote in the shadow of evil, made even worse by the reality that many so-called Christians were only too willing to serve Adolf Hitler and his evil regime. Bonhoeffer makes it clear to the reader that cheap grace is at the heart of such fatal compromises of faith, that allow evil to flourish. It is through understanding costly grace, that we can embrace discipleship that will allow us to witness to this world in such a way that we are freed from the powers of this world.
Bonhoeffer's words are just as important today, as they were in the dark days of the Nazis, and will always challenge us in our faith.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Feb. 19 2014
Teaches us what the discipleship of Christ is.
Teaches us about the Cross of Christ.
Dietrich showed us how to carry the Cross of Christ.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cost of Discipleship, Oct. 30 2013
Lou Mattson (STAVELY ALBERTA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cost of Discipleship (Paperback)
WOW! this book is eye opening to all who lean in that direction - which should be most of us. Dietrich Bonhoeffer is quite a person - read his Letters from Prison. Matter of fact read anything written by Dietrich Bonhoeffer and something happens to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Life Example, Aug. 1 2003
Mark (Farmington, New Mexico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cost of Discipleship (Paperback)
The Cost of Discipleship should be read by all Christians and theological students. I have found this book marked down and away. But once I began to read it I could not put it down. It is amazing how a good man as Dr Bohhoffer could have given so much of his life and devotion without fear. He follows his faith and the book gives an excellent read. I recommend this book for those like myself who are confused of he gospel. He will reinvigerate your soul. It is a book that will give you confidence and peace.
Mark from New Mexico

ARRAY(0xb2dcde10)

The Cost of Discipleship
The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer (Paperback - Sept. 1 1995)
CDN$ 18.99 CDN$ 13.71