5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book for those with kids!
The book is especially good for the parents of school aged children. With my four-year old I noticed I need to act more than talk. Anyhow, I will definitely apply skills I learned from the book when it is time.
Published 4 months ago by Anna

2.0 out of 5 stars I bought this book by accident...
I was in a rush and thought it was about 'How to talk so kids can learn...TO TALK.' So as the non-educator mother of a 13 month-old, my opinion may not be the most valuable. However, I did find the book to be a little wishy-washy. Of course its better to open a dialogue rather than to lecture, but does an adult have the obligation to walk on eggshells when responding...
Published on April 14 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book for those with kids!, Dec 10 2013
This review is from: How To Talk So Kids Can Learn (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are a parent or teacher - get this book., Sept. 22 2000
reviewer (Carlisle, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How To Talk So Kids Can Learn (Paperback)
When I picked up this book in the library, I thought it would be just another PC approach to teaching. Instead, what I found was an insightful, well written book with ideas and techniques that I could put to work immediately. I've been teaching 8 and 9 year olds on a volunteer basis for 9 years, often feeling frustrated that I couldn't get through to them or motivate them. This book has given me a new approach that has already paid big dividends.

5.0 out of 5 stars cartoons help you to visualize yourself in examples, July 4 2000
This review is from: How To Talk So Kids Can Learn (Paperback)
I just happened to stumble upon this book while looking for something to help me communicate better with my kids and I think I have hit the jackpot! Instead of just talking about and around each example the authors funnel their expertise into little cartoons that make it so easy to grasp the concepts. I can really see myself in each example speaking to my kids, and (yes, unfortunately) I am usually on the doing-it-wrong end of things. This book should really give me a lot of practical ways to relate to my children that are immediately usable.
Even after gaining the knowledge contained in this book I'm sure that the key is always being aware of what is happening so that you do not miss opportunities to use the techniques that you have learned. This awareness is probably attained only through consistent practice of the techniques themselves. The good news however, is that you will probably remember the little cartoons better than if you had simply read about something you were supposed to do in a certain situation.
While the book is aimed at the parent/child or teacher/child relationship, the concepts are easily transferrable to other social contexts such as supervisor/worker, boss/employee, etc. And don't stop there. The techniques do not have to be limited to non-peer relationships. They can be just as effectively applied to peer relationships as well. They basically cover good, PRACTICAL, communication techniques that are in essence universal. In my current guest relations job, I can immediately use many of the techniques. They involve denying yourself the satisfaction of talking down to another person, and trying to find another means to effectively commuicate without being condescending, which is so easy in the parent/child relationship.
Although there may be other fine books that also give great advice in this area, this book stands out in that the advice is perceived visually, and it is fun, which may make the information more retainable. A great book and easy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I highly recommend this incredible book, Feb. 16 2000
This review is from: How To Talk So Kids Can Learn (Paperback)
This was a blessing to read! The book offers practical ways to create solutions for problems, how to listen, empathize, and better understand the person with whom you're speaking. As a teacher, I am able to apply this with students of ages ranging from 5 to 15 yrs old, and as a continuing student, I am able to apply communication techniques to others. The illustrations are especially helpful for "review" of the books main focus. This is a simple to read, easy to understand book, with efficient ways to apply knowledge towards MANY people, not only children. I recommend this book for anyone who has an interest in improving their communication skills, interpersonal relationships, and relationships with children. Husbands, wives, teachers, students, THIS BOOK WORKS when applied. I felt a sense of accomplishment and pride when I noticed myself referring to examples from the book, and you can, as well. It's definitely worth reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Teacher Should Read This Book!, Sept. 7 1998
This review is from: How To Talk So Kids Can Learn (Paperback)
One of the best books around to help teachers communicate better with children. Even though I bought this to help my teaching, I don't know how I would have made it through the last few years with my three young children without this book. The skills presented in this very readable book are very useful for improving classroom management too and helping children that live with a lot of stress especially in the urban environment. The clear and compelling anecdotes bring Faber and Mazlich's ideas to life!

5.0 out of 5 stars very useful edition - love this series!, Oct. 29 2010
This review is from: How To Talk So Kids Can Learn (Paperback)
As the child of teachers, and now a mom myself, I found this book to be very useful. There are so many different and specific examples of ways to improve your personal interaction skills. It's useful in helping anyone improve their interactions with other people and win them over, especially those who are spending as much or more time with your kids than you get to (their teachers). I have read the other books in this "series" about siblings and about listening and loved them too. The authors provide excellent suggestions on how to improve communication to get the results we all desire.

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasure that will make a wave in your family, May 2 2009
Tammy Westphalen (Ottawa, On Canada) - See all my reviews
Great catch! I have purchased many books; paper format and audio. I have little time to read so I opted for audio. What a great idea! You can listen to part of it or the entire cd to refresh on ideas. A must have for parents who have spoken to their family doctor,have gone for individual therapy because your child has drove you to an extent of depression. You have searched far and wide for any source of direction and help. In despair? This book helps you change the vocabulary so you do not aggravate the situation. Filled with examples of what not to say and suggestions on how to rephrase in order to achieve what you expected of your child's behavior. Other books that are great is from George M. Kapalka. He has versions in English and French. For the francophones you have an extended library from Centre hospitalier universitaire Sainte-Justine one of which is L'agressivité chez l'enfant de 0 à 5 ans par Sylvie Bourcier.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for every teacher and education major, May 19 2004
This review is from: How To Talk So Kids Can Learn (Paperback)
Wow. This book made a lot of sense. What I like best is the layout. Not only does it practically apply theories (particularly those of Ginott), it tells you how to do so in a user-friendly way. There are checklists, comics, and even dialogues to help teachers (and parents too) see and understand how the techniques described by Faber and Mazlish work. The day care where I currently work uses extreme discipline techniques (and requires teachers to punish moreso than negotiate), so I have not been able to fully practice this method and really see whether or not it works in that setting. However, this book helped me look at children in a different way and respect them even more. The tips on parent-teacher conferences helped me successfully hold my first parent-teacher conference. I did use the method in a student conference with my CCD kids, and it helped me see all the children's point of views and understand the roots of the misbehavior (though we are currently still working on the issues, but the method has a long-term approach moreso than short-term one). Parents should pick up this book at a library and check it out. Teachers, read it and read it and read it some more (and highlight it like crazy)!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book for getting students to cooperate, April 2 2004
This review is from: How To Talk So Kids Can Learn (Paperback)
Unless you are used to talking completely rationally for optimum results, this will aid you in how to confront students without putting them on the defensive. In his autobiography, Mussolini talks about how, during his childhood, he would often have rock fights with his classmates who didn't like him. They would go on to become friends afterwards, and the lesson is that childhood is filled with instances that may seem harsh but teach you something in the long run by overcoming them. This is what I learned growing up too, but growing up today is hard enough, so it is important to make students reasonably comfortable in their learning environment. In this instance, however accustomed you are to being "real" with your students, you need to back up a bit and realize that they are in a position where people are constantly asking them for a certain behavior (self-motivated and self-disciplined) so they assert their freedom in countereffective ways. When given appropriate choices they will usually choose a good one, but they need that control over their lives. (...)

5.0 out of 5 stars great to learn how to deal with situations, March 11 2004
Desiree Smiley "smileyd" (Dartmouth, NS Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How To Talk So Kids Can Learn (Paperback)
I picked this book up at the local library, and immediately realized that it was full of great ideas for classroom management. I'm studying to be an elementary school teacher, and I saw many ideas in this book that I will be able to use in my classroom language: Both when I am teaching and during my practicum next term.

ARRAY(0xb8c53bdc)

How To Talk So Kids Can Learn
How To Talk So Kids Can Learn by Elaine Mazlish (Paperback - Sept. 3 1996)
CDN$ 18.99 CDN$ 13.71