Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kindle Kitchen Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(1 star).Show all reviews
on October 13, 1998
I really wanted it to be a good, great book, but when I finished it, I was left flat. The Bimini section had some wonderful parts; the struggle with the fish, for example, or some of the old, amazing Thomas Hudson thinking to himself narrative. Just for those two things, the Bimini section is worth reading, but for God's sake, avoid the Cuba section like the plague--it is simply terrible. I for one do not want to hear about the adolescent ramblings of a writer with an imbalance who is using his thinly veiled fiction to bemoan and give a romantic glaze to his own life. The at sea section was not as good as the Bimini section, but worth reading for the adventurous part. I wouldn't grant it any literary merit, though.
All in all, if you are a great Hemingway fan, read it for the silly facts about his life and because it is one of the last books of his which you haven't read three times already (like myself). Otherwise, I'd recommend re-reading Farewell to Arms, his true masterpiece.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 1999
I was very disappointed by this book. Perhaps that is explained by the fact that the writer did not finish it himself. I found reading it to be a waste of my time.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse