5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT!!!
Published on March 6 2004 by Dana Y. Bowles

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many coincidences ruined it for me.
Published on Oct. 27 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT!!!, March 6 2004
Dana Y. Bowles "DYB" (West Chester, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Death du Jour (Hardcover)
Meet Tempe Brennan--she is a forensic anthropologist who divides her time professionally between Quebec, Canada and Charlotte, NC. In this tale, Tempe is drawn into the mystery behind several heinous deaths in the small Canadian town of St-Jovite; at the same time, a young college girl has mysteriously disappeared, Tempe's own sister is demonstrating bizarre behavior--even for her--and bodies are discovered on the elite Carolina primate island of a close friend. What, if any connection, do any of these things have--to each other, or to a mysterious cult?
With plenty of mystery, drama, suspense and forensic detail, fans of Kay Scarpetta will readily embrace this writer. I've found yet another new favorite!
DYB

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many coincidences ruined it for me., Oct. 27 1999
This review is from: Death du Jour (Hardcover)
For the first 25 pages I was enthralled by the writing and the forensics. Then the coincidences piled up: 1. In Quebec, Tempe investigates the fiery death of a family (later found to be killed by a quasi-religious cult.) 2. In a totally separate storyline, Tempe is asked by a nun acquaintance to find the nun's missing niece ... who JUST HAPPENS to have links to the first murder. 3. Weeks later, Tempe's relaxing on an island off the Carolina coast when she JUST HAPPENS to discover the buried bodies of two murdered women. Guess what? This new crime JUST HAPPENS to be related to those murders way up north in Quebec. 4. Tempe's troubled sister, living in ANOTHER state, JUST HAPPENS to have recently joined the same murderous cult responsible for all these murders! Tempe doesn't have to pursue the investigation -- the clues just come flying to her from points all over North America. I am amazed that so many self-described mystery buffs do not even comment on these faults in their reviews. Did they not notice them? Or are they so dazzled by the forensic details (which are indeed excellent)that they forgot the basics of a believable plot?

1.0 out of 5 stars The plot is disconnected and unnecessarily tragic., July 31 1999
This review is from: Death du Jour (Hardcover)
Kathy Reichs uses too much narrative for my taste. The main character, Tempe Brennan, is not particularly likeable and it is not clear why she chooses to do some of the things she does. For instance, what was the point of the "mugging"? Why didn't she at least tell Ryan about it? Maybe I would understand had I finished the book. I feel betrayed by her weaving me into her life and then killing her cat. I am not an activist but I don't understand a writer who feels he/she needs to kill an animal for what? Shock effect? I understood the reason for the other deaths - even the babies - which were remote and had some purpose to the plot. But to make the reader feel warmth and love for Birdie, through her writing in both books, and then kill him? I didn't feel it worth my time to finish the book. Nor will I read another of hers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Move Over Patricia Cornwell, June 30 2013
James A. Anderson "Author" (London, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
An excellent forensic mystery that rivals and sometimes surpasses Patricia Cornwell's early Kay Scarpetta novels.

DEATH DU JOUR is the second in Kathy Reich's "Bones"series featuring forensic pathologist Temperance Brennan. A great followup to the first book, DEJA DEAD. Set in Montreal, Quebec and Charlotte, North Carolina, it is an interesting and intelligent mystery with a complex, convoluted plot and great writing.

I highly enjoyed this one and plan to read others in her series. Haven't watched the TV series BONES based on the books, but perhaps I'll check it out now.

The forensic deatil is exceptional by an expert in the field. The author is a forensic specialist in Montreal and Charlotte, North Carolina. The books reeks of authenticity and excitment. Quite a read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Plot, March 24 2009
Toni Osborne "The Way I See It" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Temperance Brenna, book 2

This talented author offers a great plot and a rich cast of characters. Her entertaining and fascinating writing is peppered with enough clinical expertise to pique ones interest without overstocking the imagination. The kind of forensic detail that only Kathy Reichs can provide...

Once again, we are taken into intriguing murder investigations by Tempe, a guru, in anthropological forensics

"Death du Jour", involves multiple cases weaving from Montreal to North Carolina. It opens as Tempe Brennan is trying to locate the remains of a long-deceased nun, a challenge on its own. Sister Elizabeth Nicolet is up for sainthood and her bones are needed, the body is not where records show it.

Simultaneously, Tempe is called to assist Homicide Detective Andrew Ryan in an arson investigation North of Montreal. Leads bring them to the nucleus of a strange commune in the Carolinas. Unclear at first, a connection is uncovered between the cases. Tempe and Ryan find themselves in a struggle to save more lives...

This is a multi-faceted plot, written in a thrilling manner, enjoyable and easy to follow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Death of the Day - It's Very Good, Aug. 13 2010
Barbara "Nature Lover" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I found this book to be a real page turner. The story centers around some murders in both Quebec and Charlotte and it isn't long until our heorine, Tempe, finds a connection.

As always the forensic information was most interesting and full of detail.

I thought I had the plot all figured out and was disappointed thinking it was too obvious, but it wasn't that way at all.

I would like to see our heroine learn how to throw a few good punches and I thought it would have been more feasible if she had self defense training considering her past experiences, i.e., Deja Dead. There were also a couple spots where some info was given and she didn't follow through. I thought an obsessed investigator would not let something like that go by without looking into it more. Hence the 4 star rating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Forensic Mystery, Sept. 26 2004
Ez (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
Cults and Canada... I should've loved this. But it was hard to get into (though reading with the cricket on TV or with music on probably wasn't a good idea). I also didn't quite understand the business of exhuming a dead nun in relation to the cults. Still, Dr Temperance Brennan, forensic anthropologist, is a character to follow. But I'm hoping that she stays in Canada, and doesn't duck out to the US again. I'm bored with American settings. (B+)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, July 15 2004
S. Lyons (Sugar Hill, GA USA) - See all my reviews
Reichs does a nice job of weaving this story together. It was a little slow in the beginning, but came on strong late in the book. If you like stories about forensics, you will enjoy this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry Tempi, you blew it for me, July 1 2004
By A Customer
The story dragged on and didn't get going until late in the game, loved Deja dead, Death Du Jour, but this one didn't work for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nifty little forensic thriller, Jan. 23 2004
Matthew King (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
In her debut novel "Déjà Dead" Kathy Reichs introduced the character of Temperance (Tempe) Brennan, a forensic anthropologist who spends half her time practicing in her hometown of Charlotte, North Carolina and the other half in Montreal, Quebec. A series of murders and bizarre findings led Tempe to go undercover and explore Montreal's seedy underworld of drugs and prostitution. In "Death du Jour", Tempe seeks to uncover the mystery behind a devastating house fire in St-Jovite that killed 4, including 2 infant babies. It is soon discovered that the cause of the fire is arson and all signs point to a dangerous cult as being the culprit.
As ususal the main strength of a Reichs novel is the believability of its protagonist Tempe Brennan. Tempe is a truly complex character of many emotions that are felt thoughout the novel's engaging first-person narrative. The synergy between herself and detective Ryan is irresistible and reminiscent of Mulder and Scully from the X-files except this time the female is the believer and the male the pessimist. This is a very technical and academic work of fiction with in-depth descriptions of forensic procedures, fossil descriptions and coroner reports. In technical terms the author certainly knows what she writes about since she practices forensic anthropology herself, lending the novel a high sense of genuineness. I found to be most fascinating the in-depth knowledge of cults that we learn throughout, both fictional and historical such as the Solar Temple cult. I was also impressed with Reich's ability to describe the bitter cold of a Montreal winter, having lived there myself I thought she was bang on with some of her descriptions. The climactic final pages take place during the throes of Quebec's devastating ice storm of 1998 and the descriptions are done extremely well, amid a breakneck pace.
As much as I enjoyed "Death du Jour" in my opinion this novel is not quite as good as Déjà Dead. I was disappointed that the French Canadian flavour of the first novel was not as omnipresent and found that the book lost a bit of its steam once the action shifted away from Quebec and into North Carolina. My major beef is that there were way too many wild coincidences; Tempe's sister Harry, who lives in Texas has just registered for a new course that happens to have a field work assignment in...you guessed it Montreal! The house fire in Quebec has links to a cult in the U.S. Where in the U.S.? Why in the Carolinas, right by Tempe's hometown! There were many other improbable links that felt somewhat insulting to a seasoned mystery reader like myself but did not ruin my enjoyment of the novel too much. I found Death du Jour to be very entertaining. It fell short of the accomplishment of her debut novel but with "Déjà Dead" Reichs had set herself a very high pedestal to keep up with. Death du Jour was certainly good enough to make me want to keep reading more Tempe adventures.

Death du Jour
Death du Jour by Kathy Reichs (Hardcover - May 18 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01