5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading
To start, I'm an author. I need to preface this review with that fact, as I don't know how engaging this may have been, had I not had such an investment in the topic myself.

Published on April 19 2011 by IDGS

2.0 out of 5 stars On Writing by Stephen King - Review
On Writing by Stephen King starts out as a slight autobiography but then slowly leads up to all the details about writing and becoming a writer. He goes into detail about childhood instances, plagiarizing as a kid, going to high school, getting in trouble with the school newspaper, working terrible jobs while trying to make it as a writer, marrying his wife, having...
Published on Feb. 29 2004 by Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading, April 19 2011
IDGS (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On Writing (Mass Market Paperback)

That being said, anyone with absolutely any interest in the craft of writing can surely benefit from the wisdom between these pages. Much less a 'how to write' book and so much more, as it says, 'a memoir of the craft,' King comes off as nuturing rather than preachy, and entertaining rather than dry.

His advice is sound. Think of the last book you read that left you feeling a little less than satisfied. After reading On Writing, I promise you can pick out exactly what made that book lackluster, as King is a master of analyzing not only the faults of others, but his own as well.

A window into King's otherwise fairly unobserved writing life, I highly reccomend this to any writers, King fans, or anyone just looking for a good non-fiction read.

Overall, 5/5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Geat book, but no need to buy this new one., Feb. 2 2012
Jeremy E. Sale (T.O.) - See all my reviews
There's no point in explaining how terrific this book is. Other reviews have already covered it. Still... don't waste extra money on the newest edition. Nothing of consequence has been added. Thus 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Writing Book, Feb. 7 2014
I was asked to read this book for a class and I'm really glad that I did. Of course Stephen King is an excellent writer, great writing tips and real honestly about his life struggles and setbacks. The point is, he didn't get published right away but his love for writing kept him motivated and he 'worked hard' at his craft. I think this book is a great inspiration for writers of all levels of experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Description begins in the writer’s imagination, but should finish in the reader’s, Feb. 4 2014
The master storyteller packs a punch in this work of non-fiction; part autobiography, part resource, On Writing is both captivating and loaded with useful information for writers of all levels. This is a must-read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for writers!, Feb. 1 2014
This review is from: On Writing (Mass Market Paperback)
Great book! The first half comes across as a bio of The Master himself. The second half is what serious writers need to follow. There are no rules to writing, but this comes as close to being them. Forget every other book about writing (except for Strunk & White's as indicated by Stephen), as this is the only book needed.

I would LOVE to meet Stephen King and spend a day with him. If I were to ask him for writing advice, I would expect him to ask "Did you read On 'Writing'??" It's all you need (and some practice, patience, and perseverance).

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what you expect, Jan. 31 2014
King is FANTASTIC! It's a non-fiction book that keeps you reading. Who else could accomplish this like King? No one, that's who.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Cujos, Jan. 28 2014
Back in the days when we ate dinosaurs for dinner, I read Stephen King paperbacks. Then the digital age dawned. I decided to stock my Kindle with some of the King novels I had enjoyed while I watched Noah build the ark. Ouch. The e-book prices were higher than brand new paperbacks. No way I intended to line the pockets of greedy publishers.

So I waited. Maybe the publisher would grow a brain and lower the price of "On Writing". I waited. For months. Not gonna happen.

I relented. I bought. I read.

I would have preferred a little more information about writing and a little less memoir. However, Stephen King's advice is solid. The first portion of the book felt a bit disjointed to me--like a dream sequence that rambles forward and back. This was a difficult write for Mr. King. He dared to bare his soul and his weaknesses to readers. That must have scared him more than any nightmare storylines he could ever have imagined.

I give it four Cujos . . . er . . . kudos--and wish him a total recovery from the injuries he received when run down by a careless driver.

5.0 out of 5 stars On Writing: Anniversary Ed., Dec 8 2013
This book is filled with wit and humour. It is inspiring and as an aspiring writer, game changing. Simple and straightforward, Stephen King's memoir-instruction gives a perspective only a master can provide. Highly recommend to all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting real about writing, Oct. 17 2013
Stephen King's book provides advice and guidance on writing that is inspiring and helpful while being honest about the limited prospects for fame and fortune. Concise advice - write for the love of it. Anything more is a bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book, Sept. 7 2013
This is a must read for any writer. By avoiding the subject at first, it actually teaches the principles of writing but only if you're paying attention. Thank you Mr. King for sharing your knowledge. This is going in to my tool box.

ARRAY(0xa68403a8)

On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King (Hardcover - Oct. 3 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01