5.0 out of 5 stars the 7 habits every kid should consider
The 7 habits of highly effective teens is a book written by Sean covey, who is the son of Stephen Covey, author of the 7 habits of highly effective people. The 7 habits are designed to help teens who are growing up.

Being Proactive

Published on March 10 2009

3.0 out of 5 stars Helped me out some..
Published on Aug. 12 2002 by Cory Gill

5.0 out of 5 stars the 7 habits every kid should consider, March 10 2009
A Kid's Review

Being Proactive

This means that you make choices based on value. You think before you do something. You know you can't control everything, but you can control the things you do. You should not be reactive, who go off like time grenades.

Beginning with the end in mind

This means that if you plan something and you have a goal, you need to keep on going and going until you reach your goal. A perfect example is The Wizard of Oz. The little girl keeps on going until she finally reaches the good witch Glenda and she comes back to her native Kansas.

Putting first things first

This means that you need to put the most important things first and do them first, but you don't need to rush. In the book there are 4 quadrants: The procrastinator, the Yes-man, the slacker and the prioritizer. Only one is good and that is the prioritizer. The prioritizer puts first things first, and is not urgent.

Thinking WIN- WIN

This is when you think that everybody is equal and nobody is either superior or inferior. WIN-WIN means that everybody can have success.

Seeking first to understand then to be understood

This means that you need to hear what the other person is saying and then would say your reply to whatever he/she is talking about. If you didn't do that, then you then you would cut his/her sentence and think you know what the problem is , but in reality it isn't the problem he/she was thinking about; you just blurt the answer out and he/she doesn't know what to do.

Synergy

Synergy means teamwork. Synergy is everywhere in nature. If you've seen an oxpecker picking bugs off a rhino, you have seen synergy. The oxpecker gets a feast and the rhino gets a pseudo-massage. In synergy, people have strengths and weaknesses, but they all work together to make a strong team. In the book it says there were 6 types of synergizers: plodders, show-offs, harmonizers, creators and followers.

Sharpening the saw

This means that you just need to, well, relax. It means that you need to ¡§sharpen¡' your old self. The book suggests 4 things to sharpen: body, heart, brain and soul. In your body you exercise, eat healthy, sleep and relax. In your heart you build relationships, give service and (hee-hee) laugh. In your brain you read, write, educate and learn new things. In your soul, you meditate, keep a journal and take quality media.

Conclusion

Overall, I think the book is very helpful to teens that are just growing up and it is very interesting because it is loaded with cartoons and stories from people all around the world. Out of a 10, I give it a 9.5.

3.0 out of 5 stars Helped me out some.., Aug. 12 2002
Cory Gill (Shelbyville, Indiana United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Teens (Paperback)
Well, let me tell you where I am coming from before I start the actual review. I am 16 years old and I have two good hardworking parents that are always pushing me to be more "active" and join school sports and stuff like that. Well, not only do I hate playing sports, but I don't really relate to many of my peers so when my parents force me to play some sport or join some club I really hate it on more than one level. I don't merely hate being the worst on the team, I hate having to sit there and socialize with my peers also.
The organizational part of the book didn't do me a ton of good, basically because I am pretty well organized and I turn in all of my school work ext. Basically the reason I got this book was to read about the "comfort zone" and things of that sort, so possibly I could be motivated to like some of the activities my parents have forced me in to.
Some of the stuff I read in here is inspirational, and it helps me survive those practices/meetings that I really don't want to be at at all. This book never did actually make me LIKE these parental-forced ordeals, but again, the book helps me survive.
Downfalls? Well, there is alot of teen language in this book which is okay for the normal teen, but for me personally it gets on my nerves after awhile. Also, it is very difficult to read this book from cover to cover, but I cannot say for sure it is one of those books designed to be read that way. The book was only partially beneficial to me because of my extreme circumstances, but maybe if you like your peers a little more than I do, you'll get more out of it. "7 Habits" helped me out to an extent, and I am grateful for owning a copy of it

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what to think...., March 24 2001
This review is from: The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Teens (Paperback)
I've noticed that most of the reviews for this book give it either 1 star or 5 stars, but very few people seem to have mixed feelings about this book like I do. First of all, I think that "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens" is both very powerful and well-written. It contains some very helpful advice that will come in handy some time or another in your life. However, some of the advice, such as the Relationship Bank Account, is easier said than done. I felt that many of Sean Covey's suggestions were facile in the sense that they were not things that I would do in real life. Covey seems to think that in order to have a good relationship with someone, you need to always be fishing for a compliment or nice thing to say. But in real life, "effective" people have a positive attitude, but aren't necessarily always dishing out compliments. People who over-compliment aren't always liked by everyone! Another thing about this book is that it should not be read in one sitting. I would say that it is best read about 5 minutes at a time... read one section, then put it down for the day and focus on implimenting that one section in your daily life. When you read several sections at a time, you tend to forget what you read at the beginning and you would definately have a hard time putting the first few habits to work in your life. Take the time to fill out all of the activities such as the "Baby Steps" sections in order to really help you put the book into practice. Lastly, I want to say that since reading this book, my life hasn't changed all that much. I'm not more effective... I'm not liked more or liked less. One thing that I found when I read the book was that I was already trying to do many of the things mentioned! I've tried putting some of the other habits into practice, but I fail to see how they are improving the quality of my life. If you're happy with your life as it is, I would pass on this book... the content person does not need self-help. But if you're not happy with your life or if you want to become a more positive person, you'll probably find this book very helpful. One last note... older teens would probably get more out of the "adult" version, "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People", since Covey uses language that is overly simple and trite at times, but the principles of both books are exactly the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST Read for Every Teen and Parent of Teenagers, April 14 2004
Barbara Rose (BornToInspire.com) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Teens (Paperback)
I wish I had this book when I was a teenager! I bought this book for my teenagers, left it in the bathroom, and found that the book has been read over and over again.
This outstanding book is jam-packed with highly useful and easy-to-understand positive steps that any teen (or young adult for that matter) can put into practical use for make their lives better.
There are fantastic suggestions at the end of each chapter, and deal with every area of life a teenager encounters. From relationships, to peers, to school, communicating with parents, sticking up for diversity, keep hope alive, and so much more that will have a GREAT impact on the life of any teen who wants to feel better about themselves.
The back of the book has a great section called "Info Central" with phone numbers to call if you are in crisis and need support. There is also a page "50 Great Books for Teens" that provide other great books for teenagers.
You brought an outstanding contribution Sean. This book deserves 10 Stars! Highly Recommended! Barbara Rose, author of, 'Individual Power' and 'If God Was Like Man'

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, Dec 1 2003
Golden Lion "Reader" (North Ogden, Ut United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Teens (Paperback)
I liked the idea of action based power based on principle center living. Covey, ideas are pragmatic, easy to understand, and translate intuitively. Points of the book that appealed to me were: character oriented development, make a choice based on principles, live is a balance of numerous inputs, prioritize your interests, create a mission statement, and visualize the outcome. Principle center living produces: power, wisdom, safety, and guidance. I was intriged by the 7 step model. Two ideas appeal: gain mastery overself before gaining influence over the public and seek to understand before being understood. Covey's ideas on perception were also good.
The synergy chapter was too complex too comprehend. My understanding of synergy is that only very intelligent individuals (geniuses) can understand how synergy works. Synergy is a fine tuning and balancing endeavor to find the right combination producing the optimum results. The difficulty in lumping synergy into one concept is that synergy formulas must constantly changing dependant on the number of new conditions in the environment. If the environment remains constant than synergy is possible and effective. For example, some metal mineral combinations combine too make a stronger product than the sum of its parts. The number of variables effecting the materials seems to be insignificant to the mineral combination. However, to look at cultures and people and say that synergy could be applied group known characteristics into a well known category is uncertain. Covey believes in natural laws which can not be broken. One such law is gravity. Gravity applies consistently to all masses. So a synergistic system centered on natural laws seems pausible. However, I still think Synergy is too complex for most of us to comprehend. Its seems like Coveys ideas on this subject are more idealistic. Suppose, their are individuals who could harshiness synergy consistently, then we could expect them to outproduce the norm by 2,10, or 1600 times. Synergy would become the gold spoon of effectiveness.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's All About Inspiring the Teenagers, Oct. 29 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Teens (Paperback)
Habits. Some are good, and some are bad, and The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Sean Covey lists out the main ones-positive and negative-for teens. Sean is an amazing author who really does understand how his audience feels about life. Through his voice and style of writing, you would think that he was actually in the pit, the climax, of teenage life.
This book can really change one's outlook on life. After reading it, I changed some of the things I was doing to mess up my life, and ever since, I have never been happier. It teaches how to make and break habits, and how what you practice is what you will be. Sean Covey teaches that, in order to change the world, you need to start with yourself.
He breaks down the good habits of life, and ranks the top seven that teenagers need in order to be successful. Be proactive, begin with the end in mind, put first things first, think win-win, seek first to understand, then to be understood, synergize, and sharpen the saw. He keeps your attention alive by giving you questions to answer and quotes to remember.
In order to find out anything else, you'll have to read this awesome book!

5.0 out of 5 stars DESTINED, April 28 2003
lucy carell (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Teens (Paperback)
the seven habits of highly effective teens is the best book
I HAVE EVER READ( considering the fact that i have only ever read 40 books.)its filled with quotes from other successors and hilarious pictures, this book will uplift your soul and give you a meaning to live your life to the fullest.
i wanted to read this book so it could help me start a new life, now all i have to do is START.
i like how sean covey puts himself in your shoes, and tells not only what you want to hear but what u should.
my favourite quote is "kid youll move mountains".
i am amazed at how this book landed in my hands. i was in the library looking for the chicken soup series i saw them and i had intended to pick out the chicken soup book when i had accidently grabbed the one next to it and it was..... u guessed it the 7 habits of highly effective teens its as though it was destined for me to read it and straight away when sean introduced himself i knew i was going to read the whole book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is it...a must read!, March 11 2002
Allen Lee (Taibei Taiwan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Teens (Paperback)
We all know what the meaning of teenage means. Late-night parties, cheating on tests, and sneaking into movie theatres. It's a golden age in our life when we can just wild out and simply have fun! I have to admit the person I am now, is quite a different character from what I was before I read the book, "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens". A bit like a mentor who taught me to see the light, I've learned to appreciate so much more in life. The book really reaches out and touches each person individually, and helps them find the best in themselves. Sean Covey has created 7 "habits" to help teenagers make the most out of their teenage life. Illustrated with funny cartoons, easy to read fonts, and simple language, not once was I ever bored when I read the book. Speakin from the heart, Covey brings back memories of his own personal past and shows us how we can change things before they actually happen. For example, he spends a chapter talking about the importance of being a good friend. After reading that chapter, I tried using some of the tips he mentioned into my real life senerio. And guess what? It really works! I've learned to become a much better listener, a better advice giver, and better at keeping secrets. All that was deprived from one chapter. I was just surprised to find out that a lot of the things he said related directly to me, therefore it made it really personal. If Covey was able to make a personal connection with me, I'm sure he can do so with everyone else. I speak as a teen to a teen; read it. This'll be the most memorable peice of writing you'll remember throughout your teenage career.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as expectated!, Feb. 21 2002
Silvia Shih (MKT City University (HK)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Teens (Paperback)
Actually I had heard the book before, since many people say that it is very useful and famous book and they recommending me to read it. Some of my friends say that this book is very interesting and they like it very much, but for me it is not very useful, it is under my expectation.
The seven habits are
1. be proactive
2. Begin with the end in mind
3. Put first things first
4. Think win win
5. Seek first to understand, then to be understood
6. Synergize
7. Sharpen the saw
After hearing these seven habits, I think you may guess what the book is about and what the implications for author are. To my opinion, these habits are rather too general, actually many people already know the content of the 7 habit but what makes them to become successful, the key is whether they will change themselves. What makes teens determinate and willing to take action to change their habits to become successful people after reading this book, I think this book can¡t bring these ideas to the teens.
On the other hand, I like the baby steps and some golden rules in this book. Especially for these two ¡§learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all¡ and ¡§from there¡s a hole in my sidewalk by Portia Nelson. There are five stages for this story:
The first is ¡§I walk down the street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I fall in. I am lost¡KI am helpless. It isn¡t my fault. It takes forever to find a way out. Then to step¡ The third stage is ¡§I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the sidewalk. I see it is there. I still fall in. It¡s a habit. My eyes are open. I know where I am. It is my fault. I get out immediately.¡ The last stage is ¡§ I walk down another street.¡
This book contains a lot of interesting real life stories to share with readers. These stories are some ordinary real life stories, I think many teens may have same experience as the characters in the story so that they many have association with the author and it may stimulate their interest in reading this book. This maybe one of the selling point for the teens to read it, if you don¡t expect too much and you hate boring books, this maybe a good choice for you to share some interesting stories brought by the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, Feb. 14 2002
Janet M Hanson (Salina, KS USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Teens (Paperback)
I keep having to buy copies of this book because I give them away to people I want to share the book with.
I found this book (at the age of 40-something) a little more reader friendly than Stephen Covey's book. I tell the teens I work with that Covey, Sr's book is a little more executive oriented and I had trouble connecting with it. This is easier to connect with and I don't find it preachy because Sean Covey so often tells stories on himself.
It's easy to peruse over and over again and to integrate little by little into your life. At least when my time management fails, I can name what I could have done better (put the big rocks in first). When I've spent the day dithering time away at some no-where project, I know I'm spending too much time in Q4. Little by little, it helps improve your life.
I guess I want to comment on the reviewer who thought Sean was trying to encourage reader to always be thinking of something nice to say (ie always kissing up to people). I don't feel Sean was trying to tell you not to be yourself, but well-placed, positive comments can sew wonderful seeds of cooperation and friendship. Externalize your positive thoughts by sharing them with people; it makes a difference.
Great book for teens, young adults and adults.

The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Teens
The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Teens by Sean Covey (Paperback - Oct. 9 1998)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01