Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store Fall Tools

Showing 1-10 of 114 reviews(5 star)show all reviews
on March 10, 2009
The 7 habits of highly effective teens is a book written by Sean covey, who is the son of Stephen Covey, author of the 7 habits of highly effective people. The 7 habits are designed to help teens who are growing up.

Being Proactive

This means that you make choices based on value. You think before you do something. You know you can't control everything, but you can control the things you do. You should not be reactive, who go off like time grenades.

Beginning with the end in mind

This means that if you plan something and you have a goal, you need to keep on going and going until you reach your goal. A perfect example is The Wizard of Oz. The little girl keeps on going until she finally reaches the good witch Glenda and she comes back to her native Kansas.

Putting first things first

This means that you need to put the most important things first and do them first, but you don't need to rush. In the book there are 4 quadrants: The procrastinator, the Yes-man, the slacker and the prioritizer. Only one is good and that is the prioritizer. The prioritizer puts first things first, and is not urgent.

Thinking WIN- WIN

This is when you think that everybody is equal and nobody is either superior or inferior. WIN-WIN means that everybody can have success.

Seeking first to understand then to be understood

This means that you need to hear what the other person is saying and then would say your reply to whatever he/she is talking about. If you didn't do that, then you then you would cut his/her sentence and think you know what the problem is , but in reality it isn't the problem he/she was thinking about; you just blurt the answer out and he/she doesn't know what to do.

Synergy

Synergy means teamwork. Synergy is everywhere in nature. If you've seen an oxpecker picking bugs off a rhino, you have seen synergy. The oxpecker gets a feast and the rhino gets a pseudo-massage. In synergy, people have strengths and weaknesses, but they all work together to make a strong team. In the book it says there were 6 types of synergizers: plodders, show-offs, harmonizers, creators and followers.

Sharpening the saw

This means that you just need to, well, relax. It means that you need to ¡§sharpen¡' your old self. The book suggests 4 things to sharpen: body, heart, brain and soul. In your body you exercise, eat healthy, sleep and relax. In your heart you build relationships, give service and (hee-hee) laugh. In your brain you read, write, educate and learn new things. In your soul, you meditate, keep a journal and take quality media.

Conclusion

Overall, I think the book is very helpful to teens that are just growing up and it is very interesting because it is loaded with cartoons and stories from people all around the world. Out of a 10, I give it a 9.5.
on March 7, 2014
I bought this and several other books for my 14 year old granddaughter. Since we keep high moral standards for ourself and our children, I decided I should read the book before I gave it to her. I was very pleased with Mr. Covey's way of teaching. He's humorous and keeps it interesting so it's an easy read. The discussions on sex help you to understand that's it's not something to be taken lightly or casually and that it's ok to wait until you're married. I must admit I've learned a lot from this book, myself and only wish it had been around when I was 14... :-/
on April 14, 2004
I wish I had this book when I was a teenager! I bought this book for my teenagers, left it in the bathroom, and found that the book has been read over and over again.
This outstanding book is jam-packed with highly useful and easy-to-understand positive steps that any teen (or young adult for that matter) can put into practical use for make their lives better.
There are fantastic suggestions at the end of each chapter, and deal with every area of life a teenager encounters. From relationships, to peers, to school, communicating with parents, sticking up for diversity, keep hope alive, and so much more that will have a GREAT impact on the life of any teen who wants to feel better about themselves.
The back of the book has a great section called "Info Central" with phone numbers to call if you are in crisis and need support. There is also a page "50 Great Books for Teens" that provide other great books for teenagers.
You brought an outstanding contribution Sean. This book deserves 10 Stars! Highly Recommended! Barbara Rose, author of, 'Individual Power' and 'If God Was Like Man'
on October 29, 2003
Habits. Some are good, and some are bad, and The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Sean Covey lists out the main ones-positive and negative-for teens. Sean is an amazing author who really does understand how his audience feels about life. Through his voice and style of writing, you would think that he was actually in the pit, the climax, of teenage life.
This book can really change one's outlook on life. After reading it, I changed some of the things I was doing to mess up my life, and ever since, I have never been happier. It teaches how to make and break habits, and how what you practice is what you will be. Sean Covey teaches that, in order to change the world, you need to start with yourself.
He breaks down the good habits of life, and ranks the top seven that teenagers need in order to be successful. Be proactive, begin with the end in mind, put first things first, think win-win, seek first to understand, then to be understood, synergize, and sharpen the saw. He keeps your attention alive by giving you questions to answer and quotes to remember.
In order to find out anything else, you'll have to read this awesome book!
on April 28, 2003
the seven habits of highly effective teens is the best book
I HAVE EVER READ( considering the fact that i have only ever read 40 books.)its filled with quotes from other successors and hilarious pictures, this book will uplift your soul and give you a meaning to live your life to the fullest.
i wanted to read this book so it could help me start a new life, now all i have to do is START.
i like how sean covey puts himself in your shoes, and tells not only what you want to hear but what u should.
my favourite quote is "kid youll move mountains".
i am amazed at how this book landed in my hands. i was in the library looking for the chicken soup series i saw them and i had intended to pick out the chicken soup book when i had accidently grabbed the one next to it and it was..... u guessed it the 7 habits of highly effective teens its as though it was destined for me to read it and straight away when sean introduced himself i knew i was going to read the whole book.
on March 11, 2002
We all know what the meaning of teenage means. Late-night parties, cheating on tests, and sneaking into movie theatres. It's a golden age in our life when we can just wild out and simply have fun! I have to admit the person I am now, is quite a different character from what I was before I read the book, "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens". A bit like a mentor who taught me to see the light, I've learned to appreciate so much more in life. The book really reaches out and touches each person individually, and helps them find the best in themselves. Sean Covey has created 7 "habits" to help teenagers make the most out of their teenage life. Illustrated with funny cartoons, easy to read fonts, and simple language, not once was I ever bored when I read the book. Speakin from the heart, Covey brings back memories of his own personal past and shows us how we can change things before they actually happen. For example, he spends a chapter talking about the importance of being a good friend. After reading that chapter, I tried using some of the tips he mentioned into my real life senerio. And guess what? It really works! I've learned to become a much better listener, a better advice giver, and better at keeping secrets. All that was deprived from one chapter. I was just surprised to find out that a lot of the things he said related directly to me, therefore it made it really personal. If Covey was able to make a personal connection with me, I'm sure he can do so with everyone else. I speak as a teen to a teen; read it. This'll be the most memorable peice of writing you'll remember throughout your teenage career.
on February 14, 2002
I keep having to buy copies of this book because I give them away to people I want to share the book with.
I found this book (at the age of 40-something) a little more reader friendly than Stephen Covey's book. I tell the teens I work with that Covey, Sr's book is a little more executive oriented and I had trouble connecting with it. This is easier to connect with and I don't find it preachy because Sean Covey so often tells stories on himself.
It's easy to peruse over and over again and to integrate little by little into your life. At least when my time management fails, I can name what I could have done better (put the big rocks in first). When I've spent the day dithering time away at some no-where project, I know I'm spending too much time in Q4. Little by little, it helps improve your life.
I guess I want to comment on the reviewer who thought Sean was trying to encourage reader to always be thinking of something nice to say (ie always kissing up to people). I don't feel Sean was trying to tell you not to be yourself, but well-placed, positive comments can sew wonderful seeds of cooperation and friendship. Externalize your positive thoughts by sharing them with people; it makes a difference.
Great book for teens, young adults and adults.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
What I like the most about this book is the author's straight-forward, down-to-Earth approach to understanding teenagers, and the content which helps teens understand themselves. The quotes and cartoons in the book are attractive to even the most reluctant teen-aged reader. The teens I have encountered as a counsellor have welcomed the book and found it contained some significant information presented in a manner that held their attention. It made them stop and take a mental note of where their lives were heading and some of the problems they needed to deal with to achieve their goals.
Teens are terrific people growing up in a turbulent world of peer pressure. As a parent, we need to listen and understand who they really are and where they are coming from. We may not agree with their point of view all the time, but we clearly need to make an effort to understand their feelings and roller-coaster emotions. As the book reveals part of the key lies in strong communication, both as a listener and a speaker. No one really has a perfect life - teens or adults, but Covey helps teens understand how to aim for the stars, reach their goals and, hopefully, attain their full potential. The book also helps parents understand their teenaged son or daughter - everyone benefits.
on January 8, 2002
As a sophomore in high school, there have been a lot of ups and downs in my life. So, during the winter break, just when I started caring about my grades and life, I saw this book and thought it might be helpful.
This book is written by Sean Covey, the son of Stephen R. Covey. Stephen R. Covey wrote a book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, which is about 7 habits, be proactive; being with the end in mind; put first things first; think win-win; seek first to understand, then to be understood; synergize; and sharpen the saw. His son, Sean Covey, built his book around the same 7 habits, yet with ¡§teen language¡¨. Usually when books are about habits for teens or how to improve your life, they're usually dull and readers dread for the ending. This book is absolutely not like that. There's a comic illustration on nearly every single page, lots of great quotes from well-known people, along with real-life stories from teens around the world.
At the end of each one of these chapters, there's a section called ¡§Baby Steps¡¨. Here Sean Covey gives step-by-step directions on how to improve yourself using what you had just read in that chapter.
Some things to keep in mind while reading this book is that, in order to really learn something from this book and use it as a helpful tool, you really need to read it with an open mind and a heart willing to learn. Also, in order to move on to the next habit, you really need to thoroughly understand the previous one.
Unquestionably, this is a fascinating book and it will definitely help you in one way or the other. So go purchase this excellent book, read it and live by the 7 habits for a while and see how it works!
on January 7, 2002