5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
Easy tout read and understand thé fondamentales of golf. I will read it again from tome tout tome..
Published 16 days ago by andre martel

2.0 out of 5 stars book review
Nice story, but I was hoping for more instruction, and less old time stories. If you are looking for a book to help with your golf, this is not likely your best choice. I you are looking for story time, you may like it.
Published 14 months ago by Dennis Hryhor

5.0 out of 5 stars A Golf Lifetime Shared, Sept. 20 2000
John IV (Snohomish, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harvey Penick's Little Red Book : Lessons and Teachings From a Lifetime of Golf (Paperback)
Ben Crenshaw doubled over and openly wept after holing out to win the 1995 Masters tournament. His golf teacher, friend, and father figure Harvey Penick had passed away shortly before the tourney. Ben felt that Harvey was 'guiding' him in the final rounds, and the emotions finally overtook him. The impact of the moment was very touching, but it wasn't until I finished Harvey's Little Red book that I began to understand the poignancy of the connection. The 90-year-old Penick had taught Ben since Ben was 7. The little red book of the title is the notebook, journal, and freeform diary of Mr. Penick. Compiled from golf observations throughout his life, it was only in his waning years that he agreed to allow anyone to see it. What a treat and a privilege it was to read. This is a wonderful piece of literature. Having recently completed Hogan and Armour's instructional guides, this was an excellent follow up. Not nearly as meticulously mechanical and cold as Hogan, nor as blandly wandering as Armour, Penick's actual instruction is extremely straightforward in its scope. I also think that the longer one has played golf the greater one appreciates this work. Not written strictly for the beginner, as the other two books are, Harvey comments not only on instruction and mechanics, but also course design, tournaments, hustlers, metaphorical imagery, and caddying in the early part of the century. Throughout the book, his love of teaching and his immense pride in his pupils continues to carry the theme, allowing one to understand the connection he had with his students. Having become extremely weary of the cloying media and corporate anointment of T. Woods, reading about golf as seen through Harvey Penick's eyes was a much-needed tonic. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A+++++++, Aug. 12 2000
As a new golfer I found this book to be extremely helpful. Direct and to the point. A definite "must read".

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic book on a life in golf and learning the game., June 27 2000
By A Customer
This book is a classic, and should be on every golfer's shelf. Penick uses simple metaphors for how the swing should feel to teach in a simple yet incredibly effective manner. His instruction on bunker/sand shots alone is worth the cost of the book. You will not be dissapointed with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got me back into the game, May 27 2000
I stopped playing golf for about 10 years because I had a vicious slice. I mean vicious. I went to several PGA teachers, who were no help. One day, I picked up this book, and his "Magic Move" showed me why I slice. I fixed my swing based upon this book and the video, and am now back to playing again. Bye, bye slice. Absolutely amazing book.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a teacher of golf, April 11 2000
Harvey Penick was a man that is hard to find in this day and age. He was kind, couteous,believed in God, was faithful to his wife, and did not complain when life got tough for him. You will learn a lot of golf in "simple" ways that you can understand without having to read a thesis about the swing. That is why Harvey Penick was so successful and why every decent golfer wanted a lesson from him. Some day I would love to meet him. You will shed a tear when you finish reading his 4 books. You will wish there was more. You will be a better golfer, but a much better person if you live life as Harvey Penick did.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's All You Need -- Give your other golf books away, April 7 2000
By A Customer
If you've played golf for a while and are always loooking for improvements, your mind can become over-cluttered from reading instructions from magazines and books, not to mention tips from your Saturday buddies. Give all that away. Buy the Little Red Book. Read and enjoy. Then read and study. Study again and again. It is pure health for your mind and game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what was I doing before I read this book?, March 2 2000
By A Customer
I had been playing what I thought was golf for more than 25 years before reading this book. Some of the most basic methods to play shots well are described in this book. The methods are written in a style clear as fresh water. A quick, easy read that will open your eyes, help your game, and make you understand what so many others have said about this great teacher.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the only golf book you'll ever need!, Feb. 19 2000
Need I say more? I don't think so, but I will say one more thing... read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and helpful, Aug. 9 1999
By A Customer
Maybe it's a coincidence, but I lost 10 strokes off my game during the week I read this book and put it into my practice routine. If you will actually practice the drills in this book your game will improve. If nothing else, it's entertaining reading!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much information for the beginning golfer., May 28 1999
By A Customer
I understand that people will look at this and think of is as enjoyable but there are so many ideas of how to improve your game as to make it confusing. I would not suggest this book to a golfer unless he can already shoot in the high 80's or low 70's consistently.

Harvey Penick's Little Red Book : Lessons and Teachings From a Lifetime of Golf