5.0 out of 5 stars Sincere, entertaining and life changing
It felt as if I was jisting with my friend. What a great piece of literature!!! I love it, and I'm enjoying it so much that I mincingly only listen to it in my car.
I wounder where I've all me life that I've never read Frank McCourt books.
He is the real deal.
Published 9 months ago by Ebonnie

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring
Maybe this just isn't my kind of book, but I just didn't care for it at all. Boring and difficult to read.
Published on Feb. 26 2004 by leighellen82

5.0 out of 5 stars Sincere, entertaining and life changing, July 13 2013
This review is from: 'Tis: A Memoir (Audio CD)
I wounder where I've all me life that I've never read Frank McCourt books.
He is the real deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vincent Jiang's Tis reveiw, April 4 2004
This review is from: Tis: A Memoir (Paperback)
Frank Mccourt is born in Irish, he had won the 1997 Pulitzer Prize, and other important awards and his book "The Angela's Ashes" became a bestseller over three years. He has destroyed teeth, pimply face and sore eyes.
'Tis is a book that continued from a book call "The Angela's Ashes." Both books are a biography that written by Frank Mccourt. The Angela's Ashes is about Frank Mccourt's young age in Irish, how he experience conflict from his parent, which affects him made a decision coming to America. And the book 'Tis is about Frank's America journey from a poor immigrant to an intelligent teacher. Frank Mccourt is a very strong and has gentle sense of humor. Frank Mccourt lands in New York at age nineteen in the October of 1949. When he first steps in New York, he meets a priest from a company and he introduces Frank a job at the Biltmore Hotel. And then Frank is drafted into the army and is sent to Germany to train dogs and type reports. When Frank returns to America in 1953, he works on the pier. By then, he always dreams of being a student. He is accepted at New York University without any required high school degree. At the University he meets Alberta Small, the lovely girl in NYU. In the summer of 1961 Frank marries her. In 1971 his daughter Maggie is born and they have their own house, but the marriage of Frank and Alberta fails. Five year later, Frank walks out and stays with a friend. Later on, Frank decided to study at Brooklyn College he sometimes sees his mother and his mother died from too much smoking. Frank visits his father twice-in Belfast, his father was drunk all the time and hasn't change anything good. In January 1985 Frank's father dies at the Royal Victoria Hospital. Frank flies to the funeral in Belfast. After he finish Brooklyn College. He went back to New York and decided to start his teaching career.
The book writes about Frank's ability to succeed in America, Although Frank finds himself trapped in difficult relationships with his parent, and making several problems in America, Frank's sees clearly about education with his Irish eyes. The theme of this book is mostly on family relationships.
The significant of this book will be related to the book "Angela's Ashes." Frank Mccourt talks about his childhood with his Catholic mother, his 3 brothers, and his alcoholic father left the family in poverty. Frank felt regretted bout leaving his mother in Ireland when the time he was in New York.
He wrote lot lyrics in the book. Ending with
A mother's love is a blessing
No matter where you roam,
Keep her while she's living,
You'll miss her when she's gone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, Feb. 26 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Do I detect an Irish Brogue?, June 9 2011
B. Breen "Canuckster1127" (Sterling, VA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 'Tis: A Memoir (Audio CD)
I listened to this book as read by the Author. I recommend that, as I read Angela's Ashes and enjoyed it a lot as well, but there is something special about the reading by the author that adds a diminsion to the work that you can't quite catch reading it.

Up front, many are uncomfortable with this work and Angela's Ashes because of the language, which is quite blue in places. I don't find it the most endearing quality myself, but as a memoir it captures the language of the army, the loading dock, the teachers lounge and the bar. Be warned up front, if you are not comfortable hearing swearing, then this is NOT the book for you.

That having been said, listening to McCourt read, I caught the poetic, lyrical, stream of consciousness attributes that I knew were present in Angela's Ashes, but hearing the cadence, the lilting roll and flow of the language; there are parts of this book that come close to poetry. It is an amazing and endearing quality that is rarely achieved in most modern literature.

McCourt has a rare transparency with his insecurity, his dysfunctional relationships, his family dynamics, his romance with his first wife and his transition to teaching and moving toward writing is very revealing and almost has a therapeutic value as you listen and can recognize the human condition in general.

My one criticism, is that, perhaps, this book stretches a little long for the material he includes. The actual narrative events can be condensed to a very short story line. It is the embellishment, the thinking out loud and the dancing around in what becomes a farily discernible pattern by the end of the book to where, it "almost" becomes a little tedious, although this is faint criticism when weighed against the overall impact of the book.

A very entertaining listen and read! It is hard to follow-up on a Pulitzer Prize. The goal is lofty and the expectations overwhelming. My opinion is this book does not surpass its progenitor, but it certainly comes close and provides more of the same type of reading and entertainment.

I look forward to reading, and hopefully hearing the next installment.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable read!, Jan. 4 2011
M. Daniel (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tis: A Memoir (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'Tis. I appreciated Frank McCourt's candor about his own shortcomings. He does not sugarcoat any of his experiences and his life was clearly difficult when he first arrived in New York City with no high school education. However, he never feels sorry for himself; there is a lightheartedness and a sense of humour to his descriptions of hardship, much like in Angela Ashes. My one criticism is McCourt's habit of constantly repeating things that he wrote earlier in the book. While I understand that this is a stylistic theme, I think it should have been used much more sparingly. 'Tis is nowhere as good as Angela's Ashes, but it has its merits and is definitely worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tis a good book, Feb. 14 2005
This review is from: Tis: A Memoir (Paperback)
The simple title of Frank McCourt's latest book is an odd couple to the complex content and self-reflection found in TIS. Slightly less depressing than its preceding ANGELA'S ASHES, the book packs thought, emotion, and new found maturity. As young Frankie decides to board a boat to New York, his childhood ends and TIS begins. Through new jobs, new friends, marriage, children, confusion, happiness and ever looming death, you grow and argue with Frank from page one. New experiences are in turn humorous and discouraging; his conclusions of them are honest and profound. As life throws him down, you will fall with him. And every time he gets back up, you will find hope. The story can be related to by anyone with a heart and mind. If you have ever felt loss, confusion, or self-pity and need an answer, here 'Tis. Would also recommend another great memoir/fiction book-----------------------------------BARK OF THE DOGWOOD----for a great time-funny, harrowing, and above all, well-written.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING STORY, June 7 2004
This review is from: Tis: A Memoir (Paperback)
Sequel of "Angela's ashes", I was not disappointed a second. The book starts exactly when Angela's...finished. It's written with talent. We hear about what happen to the dad & mum afterwards(You can also learn more on Malachy's first book...Read it).
By the way you'll learn of anything happened to Frank in USA, his return to Europe (after war as a soldier) and in Ireland.
A life that could have finished in an Irish lane fortunately made it in USA successfully.

5.0 out of 5 stars WE WANT MORE!, June 6 2004
This review is from: Tis: A Memoir (Paperback)
What a follow up. His life was so bad is was good and he tells it the way only Frank could. You practically fall in love with him and pray to God to send you back in time to meet up with him when he steps into America. It was a good ending to a good beginning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tis is a must read for everyone, May 19 2004
This review is from: Tis: A Memoir (Paperback)
I read Angela's Ashes at the suggestion of a very good friend, Louis it was his favorite book and I have say I could see why. When a friend at work saw me reading it she told me about the sequel "Tis a Memoir", I just had to get it and I have to say that when I did, I could not put it down! It is an excellent book, Frank McCourt has such an engaging way of keep his reader hooked! Superb! I love his sense of humor, his triumphs a wonderful and give us all hope, a must read for all ages!

4.0 out of 5 stars And here�s what happened next, May 13 2004
Erika Mitchell (E. Calais, VT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tis: A Memoir (Audio Cassette)
This book continues the story of Frank McCourt's life, from his return to American shores at the age of 19 through his middle age, as he finally makes peace with his parents. McCourt tells us about his work history and his romantic involvements, and how he became a writer (or at least a writing instructor).
I didn't find this book as engaging as Angela's Ashes. Perhaps the struggles of adult life, deciding whether to stay at a lousy job or quit, or how to keep a relationship alive, just aren't as immediate as those of childhood- -where will your next meal come from? Will your father get up you up in the middle of the night again to make you swear you will die for Ireland? Or maybe the American characters in this tale lack the spirit of the Irish ones in Angela's Ashes. This book seemed to drag a bit, as McCourt details the slow meandering path that he took while pulling himself up from work cleaning ashtrays in a hotel lobby to becoming a teacher and a father. One trait that McCourt seemed to inherit from his father was the propensity to let drink get in the way of his family life. In this sense, it seems that McCourt didn't take all the lessons of his childhood to heart. As a result, his upward progress is perhaps a bit more bumpy than it needed to be.
Nevertheless, McCourt can still tell stories, and as he relates the events of his wedding or first day in school, the reader is there with him in the scene as it unfolds. I also enjoyed his description of how he found and developed the particular teaching style that suited him. No, it's not easy to walk into a classroom as a new teacher in a tough school and establish a sense of order, let alone motivate students to learn. But when you're trying to get the students to read moldy old classics simply because they're part of the assigned high school curriculum, and the kids find out that you never had to read these books in school yourself because you didn't even attend high school, you're in thick soup. It's in such circumstances that McCourt truly comes into his own.

ARRAY(0xaaa41b70)

Tis: A Memoir
Tis: A Memoir by Frank McCourt (Paperback - Aug. 28 2000)
CDN$ 18.99 CDN$ 13.71