4.0 out of 5 stars Great story!
This was a well-written and exciting story. The computer hacking and the ability to know so much personal information about anyone was truly disturbing. A story well worth reading.
Published 2 months ago by Jenifer Mohammed , Author of R...

3.0 out of 5 stars A (not-so)techno-thriller
Published on April 16 2004 by Jerry L. McGahagin

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story!, May 18 2014
Jenifer Mohammed , Author of Resurrecting Cyb... (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent book, Jan. 17 2014
We'll written, with plenty of twists in the plot. This a very good book, with plenty of suspense. Mr. Deaver has excelled with this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Boring? Really?, June 17 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Blue Nowhere: A Novel (Hardcover)
This book was far from a bore. Having been raised with computers in my life - knowing just about enough about them to get by and do no damage to them - I didn't find the explanations at all patronising, rather helpful for the people out there who don't have a clue about computers. To be honest I didn't find that these explanations were blocking the plot and they do give some aspect of time. I was a true teenager when I first read this book and it is obviously aimed at us in general. Phate downloading whatever-they-ares in several minutes really meant nothing to me...only that he'd outsmarted them once again and got a lot more than they'd anticipated. I would recommend this book to anyone who was willing to dismis these so-called obvious mistakes - which a mind like mine would certainly miss, being educated in languages certainly doesn't make you aware of specialist terms.

2.0 out of 5 stars Full of tricks to keep you turning the pages, but why?, June 3 2004
By A Customer
This novel keeps you turning the pages even though you know you're being "had" and that after all the build up, the ending can't be anything other than a let-down.
I am a Silicon Valley computer professional and agree with all the other reviews about the technology being laughably wrong.
Yes, there's a lot of action in this book, but I found it to be contrived. The characters run all over the Valley (picture the Keystone Cops), usually for no reason other than to be in a place so they can get into trouble. I kept reading only to learn who the villain's accomplice was. That story line was done well, I thought, classic mystery, making you suspect just about everybody, no matter how crazy it seemed. In the end though, I felt like I'd wasted my time reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sold on Deaver, May 4 2004
I am a normal person in a normal world. I grew up before computers were in every home and class room. I found the book very tense. I could feel my heart rate increase numerous times. Had a hard time putting it down. Freaked me out, that I didn't get on the internet for over a month. Logically I know the odds of something like that really happening is very low...but still...I guess people say there are tech/terms problems in the book. I suppose that would bother me also if I really understood what gigabytes really were. All I know is how to make software work to its fullest.

3.0 out of 5 stars A (not-so)techno-thriller, April 16 2004
Jerry L. McGahagin (Snellville, Ga United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Blue Nowhere: A Novel (Hardcover)
Jeffery Deaver actually has a pretty good plot and story buried deep down in this novel somewhere, but he spends so much time explaining the most basic of computer terms throughout the novel - and stopping mid-story to do it - that the reader loses focus. The book originally came out back in 2001, and even then most individuals did not need THAT much explanation about computers to get what was going on (was there really anyone out there in 2001 that had never heard of "the internet"?). If you know absolutely **nothing** about computers, you might enjoy this novel more but even the most basic computer knowledge turns this book into a bore at times. Readers shouldn't have to keep moaning to themselves "yes, I KNOW that, move on!"
Even with that criticism, when the story did move it was captivating. A hacker sent to prison for cracking the wrong computer system is recruited to help the police catch another hacker that is using his skills to work his way into people's lives and kill them. Great story. If Deaver had focused more on that, he'd have had a real winner here.

1.0 out of 5 stars Huh?, April 4 2004
The only way someone can read this novel is if they know almost nothing about computers.
Deaver really needed a technical editor to go over the manuscript. He takes real terms and applies them incorrectly and the technology isn't realistic at all: example PHATE is on a cellphone modem connection for 52mins and downloads "gigabytes" of data -- ah, no...you'd be lucky to download a few megs. Also Gillette "hears" pings when tracing PHATE. When connected to supercomputers PHATE "dials" into other supercomputers -- huh? Also, Deaver mixes up the Internet and the Web as if they are the same thing.
If you are doing a medical novel, you have to get the medical details right, and if you're doing a book on hacking, you have to get the tech details right as well or it's just silly.

4.0 out of 5 stars An informative and entertaining thriller, Feb. 16 2004
This review is from: The Blue Nowhere: A Novel (Hardcover)
This story is a real page turner - despite what the previous reviewers might have implied. You'll learn a lot about compu-speak, sure, and there's quite a few inside jokes that only nerds and geeks will pick up on a first reading, but that aside, this is a clever story, well written with lots of pace and a great way to kill a few spare evenings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable...pretty fun, Feb. 14 2004
J. Miller "neonprimetime" (Oshkosh, WI United States) - See all my reviews
If you're a true hacker, it's if course got some fakey parts, but for the not-so tech savvy, this is a good read that keeps you interested till the end...

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Exciting Thriller With Twists A-Plenty, Jan. 27 2004
The Blue Nowhere is one of my favourite books. It is thrilling all the way through and jam-packed with so many twists and turns and surprises that it leaves you stunned. The general plot is that a computer hacker has developed a programme to read all the files on someones PC. Therefore he can find out personal information about his target and then use this to plan an ingenious way to kill them by 'social engineering'. The police, with the help of a convicted computer hacker (a.k.a A Wizard), have to hunt the bad guy, and his accomplice Shawn down.
The characters are great because they are three dimensional and believable. The hero is Wyatt Gillette, a computer hacker who ended up in jail and lost his wife because of his obsession with computers and hacking (though never for his own gain, just because he is driven to crack the hardest codes for his own satisfaction). Deaver makes us live and breath this guy's obsession, so much so that you end up feeling sorry for him although what he does with computers is, technically, a criminal offence.
Some of my favourite parts were where Deaver cut into the text with chat-room style sections where the police and Gillette tried to track down the bad guy, code name Phate. I felt that I learned so much from this novel, especially about computer jargon and terminology which Deaver, miracle of miracles, managed to make as interesting as the plot twists (I wish he was running my computer classes). I would recommend this to all lovers of thrillers. I particually loved the terrifying showdown at the end which is not dissapointing at all.
Finally, there is a little glossary in the front of the book where all the computer terms are explained. You can easily refer to this from time to time if you forget what a particular word means. In other words, don't let the fact that this is a cyber-thriller put you off because Deaver makes the technology parts fun and explains all the jargon well.
Enjoy!
JoAnne

The Blue Nowhere: A Novel
The Blue Nowhere: A Novel by Jeffery Deaver (Hardcover - May 1 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01