5.0 out of 5 stars Get this book if you ever bake a cake
I got a copy of this book way back in 1989, and have sworn by the cakes featured in it since. My other books just sit around collecting dust, while the cover for this is now stained with metled chocolate, butter and batter; and it's falling apart at the seams.
This book has so me inspired that I now run a small home-baked cakes business, making extensive use of the...
Published on July 12 2002 by KC Yap

3.0 out of 5 stars A Chemist's Cookbook
I wanted to love this book. Really, I did. I was willing to follow the instructions to a "T", and even take decorating lessons so I could stun my friends speechless with the wonder of my cakes. But I can't. Let me explain here that I am regarded (sorry to be immodest) as a fabulous home baker. That I'm a well-travelled European (from the Land...
Published on Dec 27 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars simply THE BEST cake book ever!, Jan. 27 2003
L. G. Cameron (NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cake Bible (Hardcover)
If you only bake a cake occasionally, this book might seem complicated. But if you really want to learn how to make cakes, this book will teach you. I have used it almost exclusively since it came out 15 years ago and have become reknowned for my cakes.
There is a set of beautiful color photographs at the beginning and each entry has an introduction to help you choose if this the right cake for the occasion. (Other books list 3 different chocolate cakes with no comments: why pick one over another?) The layout of the book makes it easy to refer to while baking - unlike the unfriendly Martha Stewart baking book I recently received as a gift. Information is placed logically and consistently on the page; oven temperature, pan size, recommended adornments, storage time, etc. The instructions are precise, thorough and consistent; she'll often even describe how to correct if something goes wrong. Years ago, I would simply sit and read this book.
I have given this book to at least a half a dozen people over the years and am buying two more copies now. Even when I (rarely)use a recipe from somewhere else, I benefit from I've learned from Rose about ingredients and methods.
Not to pick on Martha Stewart, but I baked a cake recently from her book which included the cake, a filling and an icing: The information was hard to find on the page, the cake pans (recommended size) overflowed, I had at least 2 cups of extra filling and a cup and half of extra icing! The cake was tasty but the contrast between that sloppy experience and the incredible professionalism of The Cake Bible was striking.
If you want to learn how to make cakes, buy this book.
PS. If I could bake only one cake for the rest of my life it would probably be Bert Greene's Special Sponge Cake.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-rounded, well-researched, wonderful classic, Aug. 14 2002
Catherine S. Vodrey (East Liverpool, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cake Bible (Hardcover)
Rose Levy Beranbaum's "The Cake Bible" has justifiably become a classic in the many years since its original publication in 1988. Aside from bearing the seal of approval of the IACP (International Association of Culinary Professionals, which awarded the book its "Cookbook of the Year" prize in 1988), take a look at the fact that this book is still not only in print--it's in print in hardcover! That says a great deal about the value and information the book provides.
I can attest personally to the fact that the recipes WORK. This is the number one test for any cookbook, yet it's astonishing to me how many recipes DON'T work--either because of unclear or poorly worded directions, or because of lack of thorough testing on the part of the author. I have never yet made anything from this book with which I was disappointed, and have made a number of recipes which have entered the hallowed pantheon of family favorites. Beranbaum's White Velvet Butter Cake has become a de rigeur choice for birthday, confirmation, and other special occasion cakes--it's a fine-crumbed, velvety, melt-in-your-mouth cake that's like the best wedding cake or petit four you've ever put in your mouth. And the Neoclassic Buttercream gives you a meltingly delicious frosting that's the color of cheesecake--richly ivory and silken smooth.
Beranbaum is a companionable writer--her essay on "My Brother's Wedding Cake, or the Snowstorm of 1983" has become something of a Murphy's Law baking classic--and she's a learned and intelligent teacher. This book was the first to introduce me to the novel idea of weighing ingredients, rather than measuring them by volume. The result is much greater accuracy, which in turn gives you a much higher chance of turning out stellar baking results. I bought a scale shortly after receiving this book as a gift for my birthday in 1989, and have never looked back. In fact, when I wrote my own culinary newsletter from 1993 to 2000, I usually did all the recipes giving both weights AND measures, trying to encourage my readers to try the weighing method. Once you try it, you'll never go back.
The photography is gorgeous (although I have always wished there were more of it!). The cakes fairly gleam with rich color--you can practically taste them just looking at the photographs (check out especially the handsome Strawberry Maria, named for editor Maria Guarnaschelli, and the dramatically decorated Art Deco cake).
In addition to the cake and icing recipes, there is worthy advice on everything from tempering chocolate to creating three-dimensional cake decorations to unusual sources for cake and cake-decorating supplies. The bottom line is that any home cook can create gorgeous, sumptuous, outstandingly delicious cakes from Beranbaum's book--and isn't that what a cake bible should be all about?

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't understand, Feb. 20 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Cake Bible (Hardcover)
why everyone has such high praise for this book. I am already a good cook-- and expected to become a better one....
I really wanted to love this book and was so excited when I got it. I spent a fair amount of money on proper pans, ingredients and decorating tips. But the recipes didn't work for me, the cakes were dry. The decorating section was too complex, the book had me jumping all over it to accomplish one cake, and finally I had to quit, just give up and start from scratch with a book that I love called Great Cakes, by Carole Walter.
The strangest part was that for the money, there are really only a few recipes in The Cake Bible.
The hardest part was that I thought the book was going to be user friendly-- but unlike charming books like Home Cooking by Laurie Colwin, and The Way To Cook by Julia, this book never felt like a personal friend--. And in the end, after following recipes to the letter and spending a lot of time in the kitchen, I had nothing great tasting to show for it.
I know that almost everyone loves this book, and that we who have had a hard time with it are the minority. But I feel that the minority of the harsh reviews really care about good tasting cakes. The majority-- the great reviews care about how a cake looks. I would never sacrifice looks over taste and in the case of fondant with piped royal icing, Rose said that she would. (Trade looks for taste.) It's tempting. The white on white look achieved with fondant and piped icing is stunning. But to me, it tastes bad.
The woman who made my wedding cake had set ideas about cakes. She wanted a butter cake with layers of strawberries and whipped cream. Because of her needs, and because I never spoke up as much as I should have, I ended up with a frozen wedding cake-- the cook was so worried about the whipped cream running, the entire cake was frozen. It didn't bother her because the cake looked beautiful. But I was somewhat shocked-- microwaving my wedding cake wasn't what I had in mind while people were trying to have some cake and say goodbye to me on my wedding day.
So perhaps there are the looks people and the taste people and I put taste first. Of course I'd like to have both. And for that reason, The Cake Bible still has me scratching my head-- struggling for something nice to say, and needing to tell anyone who agrees about taste to check out some of the wonderful recipes on epicurious.com and books liker Great Cakes by Carole Walter. If I decide that I have been a harsh critic, or that I have done something wrong in following these recipes I will update this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars gREAT DEALS, Dec 22 2011
This review is from: The Cake Bible (Hardcover)
We had purchased this book as a gift for Christmas and looked everywhere for the book. We looked everywhere for the book and were not able to find a store that had it in stock.We took a chance and low and behold there it was on your web site and to beat the band we were able to purchase it for a lower price than any of those that said they would order it in. Good show!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cake Bible, Oct. 16 2011
This review is from: The Cake Bible (Hardcover)
"The Cake Bible" is an excellent resource for most of your cake baking needs.
I started taking cake decorating courses and have found that I and most of my friends and family are not fans of prepackaged boxed cake mixes.
This book has a ton of great recipes that are easy to follow and give you a great understanding as to why you do things in the way you the recipe tells you.
If you are at all interested in baking cakes or want some really good recipes to follow on the odd occasion that you might bake a cake, this is your book...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Oct. 13 2011
This review is from: The Cake Bible (Hardcover)
This is an amazing book that was recommended to me by a professional cake decorator. Not only does it have great recipes, it also provides information on the reason why certain ingredients are used. I would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best cake book and reference book I've had the pleasure to use, May 9 2011
Julia Schmidt (Winnipeg, MB Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cake Bible (Hardcover)
I absolutely love this book. I have tried several recipes in this book and all have tasted wonderful and come out moist. I have had tons of requests for the recipes and I praise this book every chance I get.

The golden almond butter cake is fabulous (and it can be made with margarine instead of butter if you want). The Domingo chocolate cake is a dark chocolate cake and was really good. The Chocolate Oblivion Truffle Cake is to die for....it's like eating a cake made out of lindt chocolate truffles (just make sure you use a good quality dark chocolate (I use Morden's Chocolate - an independent chocolatier in Winnipeg, MB)). This cake is absolutely beautiful when decorated with whipped cream.

For fillings, I've only tried the Stabilized whipped cream (with gelatin) and it stood up wonderfully. I mixed in fresh fruit and berries and had it as the filling on my cakes.

My favorite frostings are the Mousseline buttercream (I use apricot brandy for mine). It is wonderful to work with and will hold up to just about anything. The only catch with it is that it must be at room temperature for it to work. If it is not at room temperature, it will separate. If this happens, you just warm it up a bit (2-3 seconds in the microwave at a time) and mix it till it comes back together. Once it's together, it won't separate again while you work with it. I've done wilton roses with this icing - the trick is to make the centers and stick them in the fridge to harden and then pipe the petals - refrigerating again to harden. This also makes it easier to transfer them to the cake.

For all of you saying the cakes are dried out, I've not had this happen to any that I've made - I weigh all my ingredients rather than measuring them and I use the cake flour, though when I did the substitution of All purpose flour and corn starch that she provides, it worked out just as well. The only cake I had come out a little dry was the one I overcooked.

I love working with this book and because all of the recipes have weights provided, it is easy to proportion the batter you're mixing to custom sized pans. The Wilton website provides the number of cups of batter their pans take - so I just use this ratio to get the ingredient amounts - has worked like a charm every time.

I love that this book gives the science behind the baking as well as a large number of decorating techniques and definitions of ingredients. She tells you what makes up chocolate and what to look for when buying it. There is also a section on equipment which has come in handy too.

All in all, this is my favorite book and I have since purchased the Bread Bible, and the Pie and Pastry Bible.
Also...Another great source for information and recipes is her website.

If, after all this, you are still unsure, borrow it from your library first - that's how I got hooked on this set of books.

4.0 out of 5 stars This Cake Cook Book is a Classic, March 15 2011
This review is from: The Cake Bible (Hardcover)
My mom has this book and swears by it. It looks GREAT! I only wish it had photos of each recipe.
Lots of great info and recipes.

It came a bit slow because of UPS but Amazon was right on it and arrive it did.
Thanks Amazon and Ryan S.

5.0 out of 5 stars best book ever, May 17 2010
Lisa Watts (ottawa, ontario canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cake Bible (Hardcover)
i purchased this book after seeing it on the grocery bags, i bought it mainly because my daughter is getting married and wanted some good recipes to make the wedding cake. wedding in a few months , hope the cake turns out

4.0 out of 5 stars The Cake Bible, May 17 2010
Margaret R. Hayes-holgate (Victoria BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cake Bible (Hardcover)
This is a great old cookbook, I haven't baked any cakes yet but am looking forward to it.
The book illistrates methods beautifully.

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xbcfcf888)

The Cake Bible
The Cake Bible by Rose Beranbaum (Hardcover - July 8 1988)
CDN$ 43.95 CDN$ 27.55