5.0 out of 5 stars Great approach to pressure cooker cooking; super recipes!
Published on March 25 1997

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing
After hearing so many great reviews was disappointed that the recipes had ingredients that I wouldnt normally have in my house and had some difficulty finding. Guess I'm a meat and potatoes type of person...wanted a basic book to teach me how to make the kind of things I cook now but utilize the pressure cooker. Dont feel this is a good beginners book.
Published on March 11 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great approach to pressure cooker cooking; super recipes!, March 25 1997
Ce commentaire est de: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
Pressure cooking is, unfortunately, very misunderstood. This book should go a long way towards changing that. It presents an excellent range of recipes, well organized and written, and every one of which we've tried has been fabulous. Because of the speed and flavor, we've been pressure cooker fans for three years, and this book opened our eyes to new possibilities. Ms. Sass's taste in spiciness tends to be a little milder than ours, but once you see where she's coming from, it's very easy to adjust. We'll try the vegetarian version of the book, too

5.0 out of 5 stars The pressure cooker bible, Dec 17 2002
Ce commentaire est de: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
I've used this cookbook since I started cooking with a pressure cooker seven years ago, the recipes are consistently reliable and delicious. I've given this book along with a pressure cooker as wedding presents to my two brothers who are now both avid pressure cooker chefs. I've also adapted recipes of my own, my mother has a holiday red cabbage recipe,cooked like Lorna Sass' own red cabbage recipe it now it takes 5 minutes to cook instead of 1 1/2 hours and doesn't make the house smell of cabbage. I'm looking forward to buying some of her other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Cookbook, Oct. 29 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
You'll find few recipes in this book that aren't excellent. It's been a fast-selling book for years now, and there are so many fine dishes in this book that you'll probably add it to those three or four cookbooks that you can really rely on (such as "How to Cook Everything"). It's that good. Just try a few of the recipes...you'll be a fan I bet!

5.0 out of 5 stars If more stars were available . . ., Oct. 1 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
I cannot praise this book too highly. As a long-time cook,but novice pressure cook, I found Ms. Sass's recipes simple to follow, and always as promised. Delicious doesn't begin to describe her Mushroom Barley Soup, which she correctly bills as the same comfort food that is served at Ratner's Restaurant. I grew up in NYC, and ate often at that landmark, and my family has patiently tolerated my frequent references to how scrumprious that particular soup was--well--I just produced it, courtesy of Lorna Sass, in my own pressure cooker (Kuhn-Rikon, also divine to use). The risotto with leeks, mushrooms and olives is also noteworthy, but I am confident that all these recipes are. This book, as well as The Pressured Cook, also by Sass, are all anyone needs to produce exceptionally satisfying dishes made with wholesome ingredients, and ready quickly. The portions are generous, and the introductions to each recipe are accurate, informative and inspiring. If more stars were available, I would award them.

5.0 out of 5 stars If your mother didn't teach you to use a pressure cooker.., May 3 2000
G. Powell (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
get this book. I had heard that pressure cookers were the microwave ovens of the 50's. Then after several people blew them up by overloading them they lost favor. I borrowed one from a friend and bought this book. After making chilli in 20 minutes, and lentil soup in 10. I was a convert.
I now own 2 cookers, one really large one (16qt)for making spagetti sauce and stew, and one medium large one (8qt) for soups.
The one thing the book doesn't really cover, is that once the top is on, there is no stiring, (duh!) So if you leave it on high heat, it can burn the thick sauce recipes. So I always heat the mixture until just to simmering, lock the lid on and then cut the heat to medium. It takes a minute or two longer for the pressure to come up but I rarely burn soup any more.
Also, if you haven't bought a pot, get a big one, when you fill a pressure cooker, you only fill it 1/2 way. So a 8qt pot, is really good for 4qts of soup. If you have time shop estate sales. That's where I got mine. The pots last a long time, and many who cooked in the 50's will have one that is just fine. (You can get new seals from the presto company.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooking Under Pressure, Feb. 8 2003
Cheryl Matejek (Frankfort, Kentucky) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
So far I've found easy to follow recipes that are delicious. I have tried Quick "Barbecued" Chicken, Chicken Curry, and Boston "Baked" Beans. I'm making Porcupine Meatballs tonight. And there are a lot of other recipes I want to try from this book. Lorna Sass gives a lot of expert advice here that is useful that I don't find in other pressure cooker cookbooks. I own quite a few pressure cooker cookbooks and this is one of the top books I go to. The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook by Pat Dailey is also good as is Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure by Sass.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has made a believer out of me, Aug. 12 1998
Ce commentaire est de: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
As a newcomer to pressure cooking, i need'ed some where to start, and someone to give me the basic's of pressure cooking. I went to my local book store, and the sales person suggested this book over a dozen others on the subject. It is not only a easy read, but is is full of more information then you will ever need. The recipes are great and written so that anyone can start cooking right away, and turn out a great meal in minutes. This will always be number one on my cook book list Thank you for helping me on my way to better and healthier cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good food FAST, Nov. 25 1999
Ce commentaire est de: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
We've tried nearly every meatless recipe in this book and, with the single exception of "peanut butter-carrot soup" (yes, you read that right!), they've been exceptionally good. One of the best things is how quickly all can be prepared. You can go from deciding to cook a bean dish for dinner to eating that same bean dish in well under an hour. No more overnight pre-soaks! The recipes are all easy to prepare and are really delicious. I'm getting copies for my mom and sister for Christmas! (Psst -- don't tell 'em!)

5.0 out of 5 stars A pressure cooking bible for the novice and experienced, June 29 1999
Ce commentaire est de: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
I bought this book in 1997 to learn about pressure cooking. Now I use it to adapt my Latina recipes to fast pressure cooking. I've made Ropa Vieja (Flank Steak) (25 minutes under pressure), Black Bean Soup (35 minutes under pressure), Coconut Bread Pudding (15 minutes under pressure), and Flan (an amazing 15 minutes under pressure).
Though these recipes are not in Ms. Sass' book, you can easily adapt your favorite recipes by following her guidelines and expertise.
A must-have book for all busy cooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book., Dec 2 2010
Very good book. I have 2 books for pressure cooking, and this is one of them. Good practical recipes, made with ingredients that you can find easily.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Cooking Under Pressure
Cooking Under Pressure by Lorna J. Sass (Hardcover - Aug. 9 1989)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.53