countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

on October 1, 2003
I cannot praise this book too highly. As a long-time cook,but novice pressure cook, I found Ms. Sass's recipes simple to follow, and always as promised. Delicious doesn't begin to describe her Mushroom Barley Soup, which she correctly bills as the same comfort food that is served at Ratner's Restaurant. I grew up in NYC, and ate often at that landmark, and my family has patiently tolerated my frequent references to how scrumprious that particular soup was--well--I just produced it, courtesy of Lorna Sass, in my own pressure cooker (Kuhn-Rikon, also divine to use). The risotto with leeks, mushrooms and olives is also noteworthy, but I am confident that all these recipes are. This book, as well as The Pressured Cook, also by Sass, are all anyone needs to produce exceptionally satisfying dishes made with wholesome ingredients, and ready quickly. The portions are generous, and the introductions to each recipe are accurate, informative and inspiring. If more stars were available, I would award them.
on June 24, 2003
I rely on the charts for cooking beans and grains and love the risotto recipes. The timings are all right on the money. Chicken with lentils and spinach is also a great favorite. Lorna Sass really takes you by the hand and teaches you all the great things you can do in a pressure cooker.
I get rave compliments when I cook her easy-to-follow recipes.
on June 8, 2003
I bought this book because I tried the Brown Rice and Lentil stew recipe, which was on a website. I tried three of the vegetarian recipes -- the chickpea chili, the chickpea curry, and the curried cauliflower and potatoes. All three were watery, thin, and tasteless. I followed the recipes exactly. This book is terrible, save your money.
on February 8, 2003
So far I've found easy to follow recipes that are delicious. I have tried Quick "Barbecued" Chicken, Chicken Curry, and Boston "Baked" Beans. I'm making Porcupine Meatballs tonight. And there are a lot of other recipes I want to try from this book. Lorna Sass gives a lot of expert advice here that is useful that I don't find in other pressure cooker cookbooks. I own quite a few pressure cooker cookbooks and this is one of the top books I go to. The New Pressure Cooker Cookbook by Pat Dailey is also good as is Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure by Sass.
on December 19, 2002
Really the only book you need on pressure cooking. Superb. the section on grains is definitive; the pressure cookers themselves who have recipes aren't this accurate on the time/pressure/water
scenario.
on December 17, 2002
I've used this cookbook since I started cooking with a pressure cooker seven years ago, the recipes are consistently reliable and delicious. I've given this book along with a pressure cooker as wedding presents to my two brothers who are now both avid pressure cooker chefs. I've also adapted recipes of my own, my mother has a holiday red cabbage recipe,cooked like Lorna Sass' own red cabbage recipe it now it takes 5 minutes to cook instead of 1 1/2 hours and doesn't make the house smell of cabbage. I'm looking forward to buying some of her other books.
on July 14, 2002
You've never had risotto like that made in a pressure cooker. 7 minutes is all it takes once the lid is locked into place. My risotto is perfect and creamy each and every time. I make the basic risotto recipe and add sauteed prawns, roasted veggies and just about anything else I can think of. Try it, you'll never make it the old fashioned way again!
on December 10, 2000
I bought my first pressure cooker in the seventies in college. For years, I used it mainly to cook beans, due to its speed. I bought this book when it was first issued and have referred to it countless times, since.
Pressure cookers today are indeed different than the earlier models (including my old Mirro). With my old cooker, even though I never had an accident, I had to stay close at hand to monitor the pressure regular rattling, etc. Pressure cooking with a modern cooker is so much easier! My latest purchase, earlier this year, was an electric, programmable cooker from Salton that's as easy to use as my rice cooker or Crock Pot.
It's true that some of the recipes in this book use ingredients that are not freely available in non-urban areas of the country. No problem: just adapt to what you want to cook! I read a review by a prior person who lamented that they must be a 'meat and potatoes' person. Fine: do your meat and potatoes here! I find that baked potatoes are much more delicious done in the cooker than in the microwave. The time required is rather a split between nuking and conventional baking. Pressure cooking can do wonders on tough meat the same way that a Crock Pot can. Just be sure and brown your meat first!
However, I still use my cooker more for beans than anything. Sass gives a full and careful explanation of bean and legume cooking here, as safety must be considered.
Since this book came out several other cookbooks have been released on pressure cooking. I've bought some, and the best alternative to this book is the one published by Presto, the maker of the original pressure cooker. It's an excellent reference also, and also recommended.
on May 3, 2000
get this book. I had heard that pressure cookers were the microwave ovens of the 50's. Then after several people blew them up by overloading them they lost favor. I borrowed one from a friend and bought this book. After making chilli in 20 minutes, and lentil soup in 10. I was a convert.
I now own 2 cookers, one really large one (16qt)for making spagetti sauce and stew, and one medium large one (8qt) for soups.
The one thing the book doesn't really cover, is that once the top is on, there is no stiring, (duh!) So if you leave it on high heat, it can burn the thick sauce recipes. So I always heat the mixture until just to simmering, lock the lid on and then cut the heat to medium. It takes a minute or two longer for the pressure to come up but I rarely burn soup any more.
Also, if you haven't bought a pot, get a big one, when you fill a pressure cooker, you only fill it 1/2 way. So a 8qt pot, is really good for 4qts of soup. If you have time shop estate sales. That's where I got mine. The pots last a long time, and many who cooked in the 50's will have one that is just fine. (You can get new seals from the presto company.)
on March 11, 2000
After hearing so many great reviews was disappointed that the recipes had ingredients that I wouldnt normally have in my house and had some difficulty finding. Guess I'm a meat and potatoes type of person...wanted a basic book to teach me how to make the kind of things I cook now but utilize the pressure cooker. Dont feel this is a good beginners book.