5.0 out of 5 stars The pressure cooker bible
I've used this cookbook since I started cooking with a pressure cooker seven years ago, the recipes are consistently reliable and delicious. I've given this book along with a pressure cooker as wedding presents to my two brothers who are now both avid pressure cooker chefs. I've also adapted recipes of my own, my mother has a holiday red cabbage recipe,cooked like Lorna...
Published on Dec 17 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing
After hearing so many great reviews was disappointed that the recipes had ingredients that I wouldnt normally have in my house and had some difficulty finding. Guess I'm a meat and potatoes type of person...wanted a basic book to teach me how to make the kind of things I cook now but utilize the pressure cooker. Dont feel this is a good beginners book.
Published on March 11 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, March 11 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Good food FAST, Nov. 25 1999
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
We've tried nearly every meatless recipe in this book and, with the single exception of "peanut butter-carrot soup" (yes, you read that right!), they've been exceptionally good. One of the best things is how quickly all can be prepared. You can go from deciding to cook a bean dish for dinner to eating that same bean dish in well under an hour. No more overnight pre-soaks! The recipes are all easy to prepare and are really delicious. I'm getting copies for my mom and sister for Christmas! (Psst -- don't tell 'em!)

5.0 out of 5 stars A pressure cooking bible for the novice and experienced, June 29 1999
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
I bought this book in 1997 to learn about pressure cooking. Now I use it to adapt my Latina recipes to fast pressure cooking. I've made Ropa Vieja (Flank Steak) (25 minutes under pressure), Black Bean Soup (35 minutes under pressure), Coconut Bread Pudding (15 minutes under pressure), and Flan (an amazing 15 minutes under pressure).
Though these recipes are not in Ms. Sass' book, you can easily adapt your favorite recipes by following her guidelines and expertise.
A must-have book for all busy cooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for novices with wonderful recipes, Nov. 2 1998
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
I was always afraid of pressure cookers, but this book sold me on them. All the recipes I have tried are great; my children will eat them too. For me it has the ease of a crockpot, but without having to prepare the ingredients in the morning. I highly recommend this book. It also is a good introduction to vegetarian cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has made a believer out of me, Aug. 12 1998
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
As a newcomer to pressure cooking, i need'ed some where to start, and someone to give me the basic's of pressure cooking. I went to my local book store, and the sales person suggested this book over a dozen others on the subject. It is not only a easy read, but is is full of more information then you will ever need. The recipes are great and written so that anyone can start cooking right away, and turn out a great meal in minutes. This will always be number one on my cook book list Thank you for helping me on my way to better and healthier cooking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of recipes, June 2 2014
I rated this a 4because a lot of the recipes are very long and require specialty items. I have not cooked anything from this book yet.

2.0 out of 5 stars Recipes require a lot of assembly and work, Jan. 13 2013
Not adequate for an electric pressure cooker. More geared to regular pressure cooker.
Recipes also very involved. Required a lot of ingredients that are not readily accessible. Not simple and straight forward.
Would take as long to do as any cooking for oven.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Pressure, Pressure Cooking!, Dec 10 2000
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
I bought my first pressure cooker in the seventies in college. For years, I used it mainly to cook beans, due to its speed. I bought this book when it was first issued and have referred to it countless times, since.
Pressure cookers today are indeed different than the earlier models (including my old Mirro). With my old cooker, even though I never had an accident, I had to stay close at hand to monitor the pressure regular rattling, etc. Pressure cooking with a modern cooker is so much easier! My latest purchase, earlier this year, was an electric, programmable cooker from Salton that's as easy to use as my rice cooker or Crock Pot.
It's true that some of the recipes in this book use ingredients that are not freely available in non-urban areas of the country. No problem: just adapt to what you want to cook! I read a review by a prior person who lamented that they must be a 'meat and potatoes' person. Fine: do your meat and potatoes here! I find that baked potatoes are much more delicious done in the cooker than in the microwave. The time required is rather a split between nuking and conventional baking. Pressure cooking can do wonders on tough meat the same way that a Crock Pot can. Just be sure and brown your meat first!
However, I still use my cooker more for beans than anything. Sass gives a full and careful explanation of bean and legume cooking here, as safety must be considered.
Since this book came out several other cookbooks have been released on pressure cooking. I've bought some, and the best alternative to this book is the one published by Presto, the maker of the original pressure cooker. It's an excellent reference also, and also recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, March 27 1998
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
I've been using a pressure cooker for 25 yrs. and just bought this book. It's great! The recipes are all up to date and everything I've tried has been terrific.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Recipes, Feb. 8 1998
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
Every recipe I've tried has been very, very good. Once you have cooked a few, you'll get the ideas behind the recipes. Then you can work up your own recipes and amaze your friends. This book and a pressure cooker are the two of the best things that a bachelor can own. Highly recommended.

Cooking Under Pressure
Cooking Under Pressure by Lorna J. Sass (Hardcover - Aug. 9 1989)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01