5.0 out of 5 stars Great approach to pressure cooker cooking; super recipes!
Pressure cooking is, unfortunately, very misunderstood. This book should go a long way towards changing that. It presents an excellent range of recipes, well organized and written, and every one of which we've tried has been fabulous. Because of the speed and flavor, we've been pressure cooker fans for three years, and this book opened our eyes to new possibilities...
Published on March 25 1997

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing
After hearing so many great reviews was disappointed that the recipes had ingredients that I wouldnt normally have in my house and had some difficulty finding. Guess I'm a meat and potatoes type of person...wanted a basic book to teach me how to make the kind of things I cook now but utilize the pressure cooker. Dont feel this is a good beginners book.
Published on March 11 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars CUP is my Pressure Cooker bible, June 24 2003
Marian Cahir (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
I rely on the charts for cooking beans and grains and love the risotto recipes. The timings are all right on the money. Chicken with lentils and spinach is also a great favorite. Lorna Sass really takes you by the hand and teaches you all the great things you can do in a pressure cooker.
I get rave compliments when I cook her easy-to-follow recipes.

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, March 11 2000
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ever tried Risotto in a pressure cooker? YUUUMMMM!, July 14 2002
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
You've never had risotto like that made in a pressure cooker. 7 minutes is all it takes once the lid is locked into place. My risotto is perfect and creamy each and every time. I make the basic risotto recipe and add sauteed prawns, roasted veggies and just about anything else I can think of. Try it, you'll never make it the old fashioned way again!

5.0 out of 5 stars great for novices with wonderful recipes, Nov. 2 1998
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
I was always afraid of pressure cookers, but this book sold me on them. All the recipes I have tried are great; my children will eat them too. For me it has the ease of a crockpot, but without having to prepare the ingredients in the morning. I highly recommend this book. It also is a good introduction to vegetarian cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nonpareil, Dec 19 2002
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
Really the only book you need on pressure cooking. Superb. the section on grains is definitive; the pressure cookers themselves who have recipes aren't this accurate on the time/pressure/water
scenario.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Recipes, Feb. 8 1998
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
Every recipe I've tried has been very, very good. Once you have cooked a few, you'll get the ideas behind the recipes. Then you can work up your own recipes and amaze your friends. This book and a pressure cooker are the two of the best things that a bachelor can own. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Pressure, Pressure Cooking!, Dec 10 2000
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
I bought my first pressure cooker in the seventies in college. For years, I used it mainly to cook beans, due to its speed. I bought this book when it was first issued and have referred to it countless times, since.
Pressure cookers today are indeed different than the earlier models (including my old Mirro). With my old cooker, even though I never had an accident, I had to stay close at hand to monitor the pressure regular rattling, etc. Pressure cooking with a modern cooker is so much easier! My latest purchase, earlier this year, was an electric, programmable cooker from Salton that's as easy to use as my rice cooker or Crock Pot.
It's true that some of the recipes in this book use ingredients that are not freely available in non-urban areas of the country. No problem: just adapt to what you want to cook! I read a review by a prior person who lamented that they must be a 'meat and potatoes' person. Fine: do your meat and potatoes here! I find that baked potatoes are much more delicious done in the cooker than in the microwave. The time required is rather a split between nuking and conventional baking. Pressure cooking can do wonders on tough meat the same way that a Crock Pot can. Just be sure and brown your meat first!
However, I still use my cooker more for beans than anything. Sass gives a full and careful explanation of bean and legume cooking here, as safety must be considered.
Since this book came out several other cookbooks have been released on pressure cooking. I've bought some, and the best alternative to this book is the one published by Presto, the maker of the original pressure cooker. It's an excellent reference also, and also recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of recipes, June 2 2014
I rated this a 4because a lot of the recipes are very long and require specialty items. I have not cooked anything from this book yet.

2.0 out of 5 stars Recipes require a lot of assembly and work, Jan. 13 2013
Not adequate for an electric pressure cooker. More geared to regular pressure cooker.
Recipes also very involved. Required a lot of ingredients that are not readily accessible. Not simple and straight forward.
Would take as long to do as any cooking for oven.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, March 26 1998
This review is from: Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
I've been using a pressure cooker for 25 yrs. and just bought this book. It's great! The recipes are all up to date and everything I've tried has been terrific.

Cooking Under Pressure
Cooking Under Pressure by Lorna J. Sass (Hardcover - Aug. 9 1989)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.52