5.0 out of 5 stars One of the top 10 herb books in print.
Published on June 28 1999 by Charles Garcia

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly Disappointed
Published on Oct. 16 2003 by DigitalSorceress

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly Disappointed, Oct. 16 2003
This review is from: Identifying & Harvesting Edible And Medicinal (Paperback)
On the whole, this book is interesting and informative, but I was slightly disappointed with the logical layout. The information in the book is fairly detailed and interesting, but is presented in a narrative manner. The book takes a season/habitat based approach... I guess I was expecting a more trait-based heirarchical listing system. Something that would facilitate taking an unknown plant and quickly looking up the answers to "what is it? is it edible? is it medicinal? if so, what are the details"
The approach also tends to give details on a few interesting / especially good flavored or nutricious plants and then gives a names-only grocery list of "Edible and medicinal plants" and then one of "For Observation only"
So, in summary, if you know a bit about general plant identification and your focus is on what's available for the season and habitat, this book is a valuable resource, but if you're looking for a field identification and classification tool, this is probably not the best choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent -- but could we have color illustrations?, April 2 2003
T. Rimmer "trimmer31" (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Identifying & Harvesting Edible And Medicinal (Paperback)
This book was recommended to me by a friend when I mentioned an interest in wildcrafting -- the only problem is, my friend is much more nature-literate than I -- and while the information in this book far surpasses any other I've seen, the illustrations are (beautiful) pencil drawings devoid of color.
Otherwise an excellent resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the top 10 herb books in print., June 28 1999
Charles Garcia (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Identifying & Harvesting Edible And Medicinal (Paperback)
As a professional herbalist and herbal teacher I have over two hundred herbals and field guides at my disposal. Steve "Wildman" Brill leads the field in combining an herbal and edible plant field guide, which is readable, comprehensive, and most important ACCURATE. His final chapter of recipes will make most readers want to head into the backcountry just to find the proper edibles. I cannot recommend this book highly enough for the beginner or the professional herbalist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great gift for the green fingered, Jan. 13 2014
This review is from: Identifying & Harvesting Edible And Medicinal (Paperback)
I got this book for my moter in laws christmas and she loved it. I read all the reviews before I purchased it and they were helpful in me making a decision. The book is a work of art and there are very intricate line drawings in it. The info is very accurate and easy to digest. The author has lots of knowledge crammed in this book and it is well worth getting if you are curious about all the uses plants can be used for.

4.0 out of 5 stars informative, Aug. 13 2013
This review is from: Identifying & Harvesting Edible And Medicinal (Paperback)
Good book for those seeking information on identified plants. Great companion material for someone who is capable of identifying plants. Not recommended for those who are seeking a book that will detail how to recognize the specific plants, however.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!!, May 20 2002
"johansyd" (Dover, Delaware United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Identifying & Harvesting Edible And Medicinal (Paperback)
WOW! This book has most any plant you can think of. I wish the pictures were in color but I'm sure that is a cost issue. Well worth the money! Very Interesting and Informative!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this book now!, June 2 2000
Tanya "Tanya" (Southeastern PA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Identifying & Harvesting Edible And Medicinal (Paperback)
This is a fantastic book. Very thorough information about finding, identifying, harvesting, preparing, and uses of edible wild plants. The plant drawings are fantastic and much easier to use than color photos. I enjoy his emphasis on finding edibles in your lawn or other "not so wild" places. Also includes lots of invaluable information on poisonous plants to avoid and poisonous "look-alikes" to beware of. He has a great sense of humor and an entertaining style. I bought the book and then had to immediately by another as a gift. I just got lunch by weeding my driveway...

5.0 out of 5 stars great book!, Oct. 8 2003
This review is from: Identifying & Harvesting Edible And Medicinal (Paperback)
OUT OF THE 4 BOOKS THAT I OWN ON THE SUBJECT. THIS IS THE BEST GUIDE ON EDIBLE WILD PLANTS THAT I HAVE READ.DON'T LET THE FACT THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS IN THE BOOK BE A CONCERN. THE DRAWINGS ARE EXCELLENT! EVERYTHING IS IN DETAIL WITH SIDE NOTES POINTING TO SPECIFIC PARTS, POISONIOUS LOOK A LIKES ARE MENTIONED AS WELL AS DETAILED DRAWINGS OF THEM. AT THE END, THERE ARE MANY GREAT RECIPES! BY THE WAY, CHECK OUT ONE OF THE HIKES IF YOUR IN THE TRI-STATE AREA (CONN NY NJ) WILDMAN HIMSELF GIVES A WALK AND A LECTURE FROM MAR-DEC. CHECK OUT HIS WEBSITE [...]
HAPPY FORAGING!

5.0 out of 5 stars No Need for Color Photos, Aug. 25 2002
This review is from: Identifying & Harvesting Edible And Medicinal (Paperback)
I love this book. I bought it about four years ago and it inspired an interest in plants that has led me to pursue a bachelors in botany. It is an incredibly informative resource about plants but it also contains enough of the author's personal experiences and pearls of wisdom to make it a lovely book to curl up with. Maybe I have an odd sense of humor but this book elicits a chuckle every time I open it. The pictures are black and white line drawings but they are very detailed, much more helpful than the often out of focus color photos in a lot of other plant id books. Plant identification requires patience and attention to detail and this book provides the details needed for accuracy. It is important to keep in mind that if you are identifying plants in order to harvest them you should always always always check more than one reference before eating them. This book is not only worth the cost, it is the best edible wild plant resource available.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must-have!, Sept. 3 1999
This review is from: Identifying & Harvesting Edible And Medicinal (Paperback)
I wouldn't give very many books five stars, but this one thoroughly deserves it. The line drawings are better than pictures for identifying plants (I have had better luck with them anyway). The book has humor, great info on what to do with the plant once you've identified it, and more thorough treatment of history and other uses of each plant.

Identifying & Harvesting Edible And Medicinal
Identifying & Harvesting Edible And Medicinal by Steve Brill (Paperback - Feb. 16 1994)
CDN$ 26.99 CDN$ 16.92