‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Calling all blanket lovers, Oct. 8 2013
This review is from: Owen (Hardcover)
A great book for those who love their baby blankets and can't seem to give them up! Young and old will enjoy this endearing tale of how to say goodbye to blanket.

5.0 out of 5 stars What A Great Children's Book, July 10 2004
Sandi "Shopaholic" (Clarksburg, WV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Owen (Paperback)
This is MY favorite children's book. What a wonderful story. I am proud to say that it is a part of my book collection !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Blankie book, March 4 2004
Erika Mitchell (E. Calais, VT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Owen (Hardcover)
Owen (a mouse) has a wonderful blanket named Fuzzy. He takes it everywhere and Fuzzy enjoys everything Owen does, like peanut butter and bath times. A pesky lady who lives next door shares some ideas with Owen's parents about how to separate Owen from Fuzzy, but none of them work, and Owen and Fuzzy get to stay together. The story is rather fun, with a little tension, but no scary bits. The book has about 550 words.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny Stuff, March 3 2004
This review is from: Owen (Hardcover)
'Owen' is a very humorous, well-written story that makes for a good before-bed out-loud read. Be prepared to have to read it twice. (It's not long.)
It's true the author, Kevin Henkes, is depicting matter-of-fact blankie situations a lot of parents and children can relate to. But more importantly, in my opinion, it's very entertaining. These are the most down-to-earth mice you'll ever want to meet.
This is my favorite children's story, next to 'The Bernstein Bears and the Messy Room'.

4.0 out of 5 stars A prayer for Owen's Fuzzy, Feb. 15 2004
E. R. Bird "Ramseelbird" (Manhattan, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Owen (Hardcover)
Ah, Kevin Henkes. Is there anything he cannot do? From inspiring books like, "Lily's Purple Plastic Purse" to the far more adult (and Newbery Honor Award winning) "Olive's Ocean", this man is accomplished in the extreme.
With "Owen", Mr. Henkes has created the kind of story he excels in. Owen is a small mouse that is the proud owner of a yellow blanket named Fuzzy. Fuzzy goes wherever Owen goes and does whatever Owen does. Owen is nothing so much as Linus from "Peanuts" in mouse-form. Soon Owen will be going to school, and his parents attempt more than one possible solution to pry Owen away from his favorite blanket (with the help of the ever-nosy Mrs. Tweezers next door).
Owen's parents are a kind of new-agey type. Their not particularly comfortable telling Owen no on anything. They are certainly attentive, that's for certain. And Henkes's illustrations are delightful. There's nothing particularly ground-breaking in this book and the moral at the end is, if anything, that ingenuity is far better than untried advice. However, this is more a moral for parents than children.
Just the same, kids will like Owen and those with their own comfort blankets will perhaps be inspired by his mother's ingenious solution to their woes. In any case, any book that teaches children to love handkerchiefs (Fuzzy's eventual fate) has got to be doing SOMETHING right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just for Children Any More, Nov. 7 2003
This review is from: Owen (Hardcover)
I LOVE this book in fact my wife and I have named one of our cats Owen from the character in the book. Infact Owen is the book that we give all of our friends when we find out they are expecting a first child.
Owen is a incredibly cute mouse who has a beloved blanket which he takes everywhere and plays with, not unlike my little brother used to. He is getting old enough to go to school soon and his mean old neighbor thinks he shouldn't be carrying it anymore and tries to get his parents to get him to get him to give it up. Luckily Owens mother finds a rather ingenous way to make evetybody happy.
Long live Captain Plunger...he alone is worth the price of the book! ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars my six year old: the henkes fan, Sept. 9 2003
This review is from: Owen (Hardcover)
little did i know when i breezily picked up this book at a bi-monthly library run that my six year old son was already a huge kevin henkes fan. he saw the book and was ecstatic: "we read these at school, kevin henkes has lots of cal-cott awards!" he enthused. he proceeded to rattle of several character names and story lines. then, with his tattered, nearly-stuffingless-and-quite-bedraggled little cloth elephant grasped tightly, he read to me the cute story about a mouse who has his own special 'lovey'. any child with their own version of a Linus blanky will just love this story - so will his/her parents. now excuse me while i begin acquiring a kevin henkes library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely clever story, April 28 2003
This review is from: Owen (Hardcover)
My six year old son still sleeps with his beloved "white blankie" and he loves it with all his heart, just like Owen! He can really relate to this story. The illustrations are beautiful and bursting with colour. It is a pleasure to read! Any child who is attached to a special blankie or cuddle toy will like this story. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, Dec 8 2002
This review is from: Owen (Hardcover)
I've had to read this story aloud to my son every night since he was one. He is now two and a half, and it is still his favorite book. When I pause in the story, he easly picks up where I left off and quotes the next line in the story. Unlike some other children's books that I mentally sigh when I see my son pick from off the shelf for a story time read, I have never once sighed for Owen. It is a well writen and cherished book. The illustrations are cute and original and the story is sweet. You'll enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Owen, My Hero, Feb. 15 2002
This review is from: Owen (Hardcover)
Owen is one of my favorite characters of all times...probably because like Owen, I was very attached to my blanket. How I wish this book had been published when I was a child! As usual, Kevin Henkes' story is charmingly written and illustrated. There is a lot of humor, plenty of which will make parents laugh as hard as(or harder than) their children.
When Owen's busybody neighbor, Mrs. Tweezers, convinces Owen's parents that he's too old to carry around his beloved, yet tattered, blanket, his parents begin a campaign to separate Owen and the blanket. Little do they know the lengths to which Owen will go to protect his blanket. Owen's Mom comes up with a solution that makes everybody happy, even that annoying busybody Mrs. Tweezers! Owen is a spunky, loveable little guy!
Enjoy!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Owen
Owen by Kevin Henkes (Hardcover - Sept. 15 1993)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 13.25