‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A prayer for Owen's Fuzzy, Feb. 15 2004
E. R. Bird "Ramseelbird" (Manhattan, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Owen (Hardcover)
Ah, Kevin Henkes. Is there anything he cannot do? From inspiring books like, "Lily's Purple Plastic Purse" to the far more adult (and Newbery Honor Award winning) "Olive's Ocean", this man is accomplished in the extreme.
With "Owen", Mr. Henkes has created the kind of story he excels in. Owen is a small mouse that is the proud owner of a yellow blanket named Fuzzy. Fuzzy goes wherever Owen goes and does whatever Owen does. Owen is nothing so much as Linus from "Peanuts" in mouse-form. Soon Owen will be going to school, and his parents attempt more than one possible solution to pry Owen away from his favorite blanket (with the help of the ever-nosy Mrs. Tweezers next door).
Owen's parents are a kind of new-agey type. Their not particularly comfortable telling Owen no on anything. They are certainly attentive, that's for certain. And Henkes's illustrations are delightful. There's nothing particularly ground-breaking in this book and the moral at the end is, if anything, that ingenuity is far better than untried advice. However, this is more a moral for parents than children.
Just the same, kids will like Owen and those with their own comfort blankets will perhaps be inspired by his mother's ingenious solution to their woes. In any case, any book that teaches children to love handkerchiefs (Fuzzy's eventual fate) has got to be doing SOMETHING right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blanket Coverage of Staying Connected with Security Objects!, March 8 2001
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Owen (Hardcover)
Almost all children have a favorite blanket or stuffed toy that makes any situation more comfortable. Children vary a lot in how long and how extensively they rely on these friendly objects. Social pressures to relinquish the objects often make the child even more insecure. In this worthy story, your child can learn how to keep this warm connection while reducing social embarrassment.
"Owen had a fuzzy yellow blanket . . . . He loved it with all his heart."
"Fuzzy goes where I go."
"Fuzzy likes what I like."
"He carried it.
And wore it.
And dragged it.
He sucked it.
And hugged it.
And twisted it."
You can see the close connection from these quotes.
The crisis is brought on when Owen announces, "I have to bring Fuzzy [no longer literally so] to school." What to do?
If you are a first-time parent, this book will suggest a solution that almost all parents rely on (or a variant thereof). As such, it is a great gift to parents and children.
The book was honored by Caldecott for its illustrations which rely on bright watercolor paints and black pen outlines. Owen and the other characters in the book are mice, and they have a visual sweetness that helps take the anxiety out of the book's subject. If the characters were humans, the book could feel threatening to the child who isn't ready to give up the blanket or other security object.
I suggest that you also ask your child what you can do to help make new situations feel more comfortable. The process of becoming more separate from home and parents is a difficult one. Although almost everyone will make it, there's no reason why the transition has to be a harsh and unpleasant one.
Provide an inner sense of security in all the loving ways you know!

5.0 out of 5 stars Owen, My Hero, Feb. 15 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Owen (Hardcover)
Owen is one of my favorite characters of all times...probably because like Owen, I was very attached to my blanket. How I wish this book had been published when I was a child! As usual, Kevin Henkes' story is charmingly written and illustrated. There is a lot of humor, plenty of which will make parents laugh as hard as(or harder than) their children.
When Owen's busybody neighbor, Mrs. Tweezers, convinces Owen's parents that he's too old to carry around his beloved, yet tattered, blanket, his parents begin a campaign to separate Owen and the blanket. Little do they know the lengths to which Owen will go to protect his blanket. Owen's Mom comes up with a solution that makes everybody happy, even that annoying busybody Mrs. Tweezers! Owen is a spunky, loveable little guy!
Enjoy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Owen, My Hero, Feb. 15 2002
Ginkgo (Madison, WI United States) - See all my reviews
Enjoy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just for Children Any More, Nov. 7 2003
This review is from: Owen (Hardcover)
I LOVE this book in fact my wife and I have named one of our cats Owen from the character in the book. Infact Owen is the book that we give all of our friends when we find out they are expecting a first child.
Owen is a incredibly cute mouse who has a beloved blanket which he takes everywhere and plays with, not unlike my little brother used to. He is getting old enough to go to school soon and his mean old neighbor thinks he shouldn't be carrying it anymore and tries to get his parents to get him to get him to give it up. Luckily Owens mother finds a rather ingenous way to make evetybody happy.
Long live Captain Plunger...he alone is worth the price of the book! ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars my six year old: the henkes fan, Sept. 9 2003
This review is from: Owen (Hardcover)
little did i know when i breezily picked up this book at a bi-monthly library run that my six year old son was already a huge kevin henkes fan. he saw the book and was ecstatic: "we read these at school, kevin henkes has lots of cal-cott awards!" he enthused. he proceeded to rattle of several character names and story lines. then, with his tattered, nearly-stuffingless-and-quite-bedraggled little cloth elephant grasped tightly, he read to me the cute story about a mouse who has his own special 'lovey'. any child with their own version of a Linus blanky will just love this story - so will his/her parents. now excuse me while i begin acquiring a kevin henkes library.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Son's Favorite Preschool Book, Dec 5 1999
This review is from: Owen (Hardcover)
This a very sweet book about growing up. In the book, the main character, Owen, is getting ready to go to school for the first time. He is crushed when he learns that he cannot take his beloved blanket to school with him. As the story unfolds, Owen and his parents work to find a solution to his dilema. This book has subtle humor and simple text that is perfect for emergent readers. The story is one that small children can easily relate to and parents will appreciate. The illustrations are consistent with Kevin Henkes' style. They are lovable and full of expression. I rate this book as one of Kevin Henkes' best!

5.0 out of 5 stars For parents coping with kids and "security" items, Dec 23 2001
This review is from: Owen (Hardcover)
Owen has a yellow blanket that is worn, tatty, and just plain raggity. But he doesn't care; his blanket "Fuzzy" has been with him through haircuts, dental appointments, sleepless nights, and other milestones in a child's life. Owen's parents are at a loss over what to do; fortunately, nosy Mrs. Tweezers, the next door neighbor, has several suggestions, none of which work. Only Owen's Mom can come up with the perfect solution to change "Fuzzy" into a big-boy item. A perfect book for parents who are having a hard time getting ther child to part with "security" items told in a way that only Kevin Henkes can tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars I teach Pre-K and..., Oct. 3 2001
This review is from: Owen (Hardcover)
...I love this book! Once again the author Henkes created a loveble and real character that young children (especially ones with "blankies") can relate to!! I find "Mrs. Tweezers" (the nosy next door neighbor) absolutely hysterical as she constantly harasses Owens parents to get rid of his blanket... "Haven't you ever heard of the vinegar trick? The Blanket Fairy? Just saying no?" Owens mom ultimately saves the day in a way which even Mrs. Tweezers can't object! Owen is a book which children love... and adults don't CRINGE while reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, Dec 8 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Owen (Hardcover)
I've had to read this story aloud to my son every night since he was one. He is now two and a half, and it is still his favorite book. When I pause in the story, he easly picks up where I left off and quotes the next line in the story. Unlike some other children's books that I mentally sigh when I see my son pick from off the shelf for a story time read, I have never once sighed for Owen. It is a well writen and cherished book. The illustrations are cute and original and the story is sweet. You'll enjoy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Owen
Owen by Kevin Henkes (Hardcover - Sept. 15 1993)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 15.87