4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative
Lots of information,this would be helpful as a starter point for people looking to look at specific possible allergies with their children
Published 17 months ago by Shannon Guertin

2.0 out of 5 stars Interseting anectdotes, unsound science
Good advice on diet and determining food allergies. Unfortunately, the prefered treatment method of Provocation/Neutralization has zero credibility in the medical community. There is no evidence, based on double blind clinical trials, that the method works.
Published on Feb. 25 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, Feb. 14 2013
Shannon Guertin (Gracefield, Quebec, CA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved My Son's Life !, March 15 2003
This review is from: Is This Your Child (Paperback)
When I first saw Dr. Doris Rapp on the talk shows back when this book first was published it opened my eyes to my own sons problems....read it over and over and started applying the testing and homeopathic remedies and stopping the foods he was showing allergic reactions to. After a year of the homeopathic remedies and a slow start back of those same foods *mile, chocolate, cinnamon* we had no more problems. This was a child who had severe allergic reactions including asthma attacks that would leave him choking and unable to breathe. (very frightening)After two years of doctors of every specialty, and tons of meds with the resulting hyperactivity and no real cure, I had had it!!!
Now, my son is a tall, strong, and wonderfully healthy 17 yr. old with no behavioral problems nor allergies or asthma. You best believe that we keep homeopathics in our home 365 days a year now.
Now I buy the book everytime I get the chance so that I can pass it on to others who need this wonderful doctors sound thinking and real help. Is your child hyperactive, have un-controllable rages, depressions, suicidal, sick with allergies and asthma, learning disabilities? Any of these problems? BUY THIS BOOK! You won't be sorry you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for parents considering Ritalin for their child, Aug. 18 2004
This review is from: Is This Your Child (Paperback)
This book was our saviour. Dr Doris Rapp explains food allergies, sensitivities and reactions in very understandable language. The book is full of case studies and examples of children with behaviour problems relating to food allergies. If it wasn't for this book our child would be a Ritalin tragedy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Mother Should Buy This Book, Aug. 8 2003
Barbara Marvel (Springfield, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Is This Your Child (Paperback)
This book is Marvelous. Full of information about allergies, household products that can affect a child and adult! Every mother or parents should have a copy of this book! I highly recommend it! One of the best that was ever written on the subject of allergies!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on children's allergies, March 11 2003
This review is from: Is This Your Child (Paperback)
Clear and insightful, this book has helped scores of my patients discover and control their allergies. It is disconcerting that ten years after its publication, most physicians are ignorant of its message.

5.0 out of 5 stars This should be required reading for allergists!, Sept. 16 2002
This review is from: Is This Your Child (Paperback)
My 1yr old son has had problems with several different foods(including milk and soy)and this book has been such a comfort. This book has many examples of other cases like my son's where normal allergy skin tests have not uncovered any answers. I have become frustrated with doctors not willing to listen or believe that food sensitivities can be connected with sleep disruption and extreme behavior changes in young children. This book gives documented example after example of children with the same type problems as our son, and my another child in our family. This book should be required reading for all pediatricians and allergists treating children. For parents that strongly suspect a food/allergy problem in your child this book is a MUST have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Insightful, April 7 2002
"yankiemama" (Staunton, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Is This Your Child (Paperback)
This book was the key in understanding what was happening to my child. The information helped me to recognize and make imediate changes in my sons diet that brought much needed relief not only to him but to our family. A must read for anyone who has a child with any sort of behavior problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have For Parents of Allergic Children, March 26 2002
This review is from: Is This Your Child (Paperback)
This book helped me recognize my son's allergies, which doctors were ignoring. It also helped me find an allergist that has been successfully treating my son. Dr. Rapp explains what allergies are, how to recognize them, how they can manifest themselves in a child's body, what is involved with allergy testing and treatment, and what parents can do to help alleviate or eliminate allergens in a child's diet and environment. This is my "bible" for my child's allergies. Within 50 pages of reading, I was saying "This is my child. This is what is wrong with him." The case histories that Dr. Rapp includes in the book are very helpful and comforting; it was nice to know that there were other children like my son. I highly recommend this book to everyone with children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing!, Dec 31 2001
ChristineMM (Houston Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Is This Your Child (Paperback)
Rapp, a Pediatric Allergist MD focuses on "brain allergy" in this book. This 600+ page book may seem daunting but it is not hard to read and you can pick and choose the chapters that you are interested in and that apply to your situation. It is also easy to skim for basic information at first and then if you need to delve into detail you can go back and read each word and section that applies to you.
Black and white photographs, paragraphical text, case studies, and lists are the ways that Rapp describes the various maladies that are caused by brain allergies. There are easy to reference lists and separate chapters on how allergies manifest in infants, toddlers, children, and adolescents.
After the discussion of the allergy symptoms Rapp moves on to how to detect the food culprit and how to confirm via testing with provocation/neutralization (P/N) testing. This testing entails a pinprick for up to 40 times in one session PER FOOD, administered by the physician. Rapp discusses the single and multiple food elimination diet, and the rotary diet. She gives you all the information you need to know to implement these plans but advises you seek the council of a physician. Rapp explains that she prepares a diluted solution of allergy extract serum that the parent can administer to the child to reduce the affect of the allergic reaction (mixed up by the doctor and sold to the patient). Rapp also gives instructions for using an alkali nonprescription item to stop the allergic reaction once it has begun.
Hypoglycemia is also discussed briefly and how sometimes the patient may have hypoglycemia-only, allergies-only, or both hypoglycemia and allergies together. Gastroesophageal Reflux (GER) is also discussed because sometimes the underlying problem is an allergy that causes the GER or it is just an allergy showing itself with similar symptoms as GER. Rapp states that the person with the food allergy often becomes addicted to that food and it is probably apparent to the parent just from watching the child, what they are allergic to and eliminating that food is a good and easy place to start. Rapp gives ideas for record keeping while the detective work is going on.
Hyperactivity, ADD, ADHD, and Ritalin is actually necessary take up several chapters. More chapters on aggression, "slow" children, delinquency, and fatigue, headaches and seizures round out more links to allergy as the root cause. If you treat the allergy then these symptoms sometimes go away.
Now for our family's story. When my son was two years old, over a nine-month period, he very gradually began changing behaviors and showing some physical signs that I thought was strange. Visits to our pediatrician did not yield any answers and I was told that these behaviors were "the terrible two's" but I knew that my son was acting differently than he ever did before. I cut way down on TV viewing because of his zombie-like behavior and moodiness but that didn't help. My son was a picky eater who ate only a few foods. I never suspected food allergy. My son was getting very hard to live with and his overall personality was quite changed, gloomy and depressed-acting. I was on an email chat list where a parent asked for help with some behaviors her child was exhibiting and they were the same as my son so I was curious to see what parenting tips the other mothers would come up with. Someone replied to read this book and that it sounds like the child had food allergies. I was shocked at that idea, but was desperate and read the book. I was glued to the book and stayed up late into the night reading it and was shocked that all the different behaviors and physical symptoms were listed in the book. I burst into tears to think my son had food allergies and dreaded the chore of living with eliminating foods from his diet. I did the elimination diet with dairy and his symptoms all disappeared within 48 hours! My pediatrician and the pediatric allergist we visited did not believe in these allergies despite my showing them this book, discussing the success with the elimination diet, and a physical exam. Since we had done the food elimination diet and had success, I knew that we were right and those doctors were wrong. My cynical husband was even convinced. We finally found a doctor (not in our insurance plan) that does believe in these allergies and he confirmed what I already knew. However, and this is the important part: he said new technology has come out since this book was written. My son did not have to go through the P/N testing (all those pinpricks) to get a diagnosis. We simply had his blood drawn (one vial) and sent it off to Immuno Laboratories for IgG testing for a panel of over 100 foods. The test and the information the lab provided was excellent and my son was diagnosed with 23 food allergies. That was just over a year ago. Actually living with the food elimination is not that difficult (unless you do a lot of restaurant eating or traveling). Living with a healthy and happy, well-behaved child again is worth any amount of food substitution and food elimination on our part. Our physician does not believe in giving the child extracts to counteract the allergic reaction, but believes in a total food elimination diet so the body can heal itself and get over the allergy. These allergies are usually outgrown over time. I am so thankful for finding this book and this information.
If your child is having any negative behaviors, acting differently than they used to, or showing signs of hyperactivity, aggression or ADD/ADHD, I feel it is worth your time and effort to read this book and investigate food allergies before you simply accept a different diagnosis or label the behaviors as "normal for that age".

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ!, Nov. 2 2001
This review is from: Is This Your Child (Paperback)
Fabulous Book. Gives parents detailed information to help them determine if their child has an allergy to anything in their environment including foods, molds, cleaning products, perfumes, etc. Dr. Rapp LISTENS to parents - unlike many MDs. Great real-life examples of children who've been helped by the elimination diet. Altering a child's diet may take careful planning and thought - but for children with allergies to artificial colors and flavors as well as certain foods, it is imperative to help their bodies get into "balance".

Is This Your Child
Is This Your Child by Doris Rapp (Paperback - July 30 1992)
CDN$ 23.99 CDN$ 17.32