5.0 out of 5 stars Great info for the vegan cook, and low fat too!
Published on March 15 2003 by Roberta J

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning for Electric Stove Tops!
Published on April 23 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great info for the vegan cook, and low fat too!, March 15 2003
Roberta J (Santa Cruz,, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
I have had this book for quite some time, and have really enjoyed it. Am searching for another for a friend who just got a pressure cooker - I'm tired of reading recipes to her on the phone! Front and back inside covers have reference pages quick and handy for checking cook times for beans and grains and I refer to them all of the time, since I can't seem to remember them all. I've purchased 2-3 more to give to other friends who are new to pressure cooking (and vegetarianism) and they love them as well. A real find - and I love the hardcover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book -- and I use an electric stove, Dec 9 2002
This review is from: Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
This cookbook is excellent, and several of its recipes have become favorites in my house. My purpose in writing this review is to correct some of the misinformation I see in the other reviews posted here. First of all, I use my pressure cooker on an electric stove, and have never had any problems. To get the cooker up to pressure I heat on number 7 (out of 10) and when it reaches high pressure I turn the heat down to 3. No flame tamer, no switching burners. Works every time.
Secondly, one of the reviewers here wrote that the recipes call for exotic ingredients that are only available in New York City. This is not true either. I live in a city of about 200,000 in the Southeastern U.S. and have never had any trouble finding an ingredient I needed. Not everything is available in conventional supermarkets, of course. To get things like quinoa and chipotle peppers you may have to seek out ethnic markets or natural food stores, but they're around. Look in the phone book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super cookbook!, Aug. 10 2002
merrymousies (Waterford, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
I just bought my pressure cooker a week or so ago and have been using it in conjunction with this cookbook. Man is it great! The recipes are varied, interesting, tasty and right on target for use with one of these kitchen tools. The author provides all sorts of tips, "lessons learned" and ideas for making up recipes and menus of your own. She is clearly well versed in how to use the pressure cooker. She even gives tips on freezing food if you make a big batch. So far allof the recipes have turned out great which I really appreciate since I had never used a pressure cooker before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Electric Stove User Loves This Book., May 26 2004
This review is from: Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
I use an ancient jiggle top cooker and an electric stove and have always had great results with this book. With no mishaps! I agree that the New Mexican Pinto Bean soup is killer. In fact, all the soup recipes are good. And ready in minutes. Another favorite of mine is the Double Sesame Grain Salad. The reference tables inside the covers are very helpful. My only caveat is I found that when I tried to make the homemade coconut milk recipe on p. 19, it seemed to explode and make a mess when I used a regular blender. Using a hand blender, it works brilliantly. I highly recommend this book. You don't even have to be vegan (I'm not even a vegetarian anymore) to enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rules all over the place!!, Jan. 14 2004
This review is from: Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
My husband and I received this book as a holiday present this year. I was so excited. The recipes are so easy since we keep a lot of staples around our house. I have had a pressure cooker for years, but this acutally makes everything a snap. The flavors are excellent - and in the food - as opposed to "on" or "in the broth". We have used 2 recipes a week since we have had it. IT RULES!! I couldn't be happier. Now, my vegitarian sister wants a pressure cooker and cook book (she is jealous that "my" lentil and garlic soup was a million times better than her's). =)

5.0 out of 5 stars Execellent book., April 13 2003
Cepwin "Cepwin" (Northern VA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
I've made several of the stew recipies and they all came out as expected. Tonight I made a caribbean stew that was delicious (although I'd have a sharp knife for that one...it required pealing and choping a tough root vegetable and a butternut squash.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Upgraded my last rating -- favorite cookbook!, Dec 18 2002
This review is from: Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
Since my last review in July, I have used this book so much and have been so happy with the recipes that I felt like I needed to upgrade my rating of this book to five stars. In order to take advantage of some of the recipes, I finally broke down and bought (1)a corningware 1 quart casserole dish and (2)a small bundtform dish and have to say that, along with the pressure cooker, these were some of the best kitchen purchases I have made. With my new equipment I now make beautifully delicious brown rice (yes, by using that foil contraption idea which was actually very easy to do!)as well as wonderful steamed pudding-cakes (love the banana one) that are the best dessert solution for vegans (or anyone who is trying to eat healthy) that I have found! I adore this book and can't sing its praises enough.
As for the electric stove issue, more power to those of you who can use one burner, but this has not worked in my kitchen. If I had to choose just one cookbook to have, then this would be it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book, wish some recipes watched the fat, July 15 2002
an exerciser (Frisco, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
Ms. Sass has written a very thorough book on cooking with the pressure cooker. Because of this book, my desire to eat less animal products, and a curiosity about pressure cooking, I bought a pressure cooker. Here is a warning to anyone with an electric stove -- pressure cooking is tricky and can be downright scary (even with the safety features on the newer pressure cookers)! The pressure cooker is GREAT for cooking beans (be sure to add oil unless you like suspense) and potatoes are done in a snap. Also, cooking with the pressure cooker makes the food taste better.
My two favorite (absolutely wonderful) recipes include Quinoa Corn Chili and Brown Rice with Spinach, Raisins, and Pine Nuts (can you guess what is in this dish?). Also, this book is chock-full of all kinds of useful information which is presented in a very reader-friendly layout. Because of this book, I have ventured into new areas of the produce section (e.g., to purchase gingerroot) and have been able to use a variety of grains that I had on hand, but had no earthly idea of what to do with them (think millet and quinoa). In these respects, this book is fabulous.
That being said, there are a few things that I am displeased about. It seems that cooking white rice is somewhat of an artform and I am not willing to purchase a ceramic rice pot (or try my luck with a homemade foil-strip contraption which you use to lower a casserole dish into the cooker, if you happen to have a casserole dish that fits!) in order to make some of the dishes. Also, coconut milk is used pretty often (like in the Thai Chickpea dish), which probably adds lots of flavor. However, coconut milk is loaded with fat (most of it saturated) which I am trying to avoid.
Overall, I am very satisfied with this book and happy I found it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning for Electric Stove Tops!, April 23 2002
This review is from: Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
If you have an electric stove top (as I do), you will have work to do to use this cookbook! A pressure cooker requires high heat to bring the pressure up followed by lowered heat to continue cooking. If you have an electric stove top, you know that lowering heat takes time (or necessitates switching burners). On page 12, the author states that "Since all recipes in this book have been tested on gas burners, you may need to make minor adjustments in the timing." Perhaps the recipes are worth the effort -- I am not inclined to try. (Between switching burners, using a "Flame Tamer", and adjusting the recipes -- as suggested by the author -- any time savings seems lost in complications.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Experiment with confidence!, Jan. 21 2002
Kathy "AnUnnaturalCook" (Middle River, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure (Hardcover)
I am not a vegetarian, but after the phenomenal success I enjoyed with "The Pressured Cook", I picked up this cookbook. Lorna Sass includes the standards but also tantalizes with new combinations. Every experiment I have tried has been enough to wow my "meat-and-potatoes" husband and co-workers alike. The Vegetarian Paella with artichokes was a big hit at an office pot-luck.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure
Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure by Lorna Sass (Hardcover - Aug. 17 1994)
CDN$ 34.99 CDN$ 22.04