5.0 out of 5 stars Don't even ask to borrow it!
Published on Jan. 6 2002 by Tim Michael

1.0 out of 5 stars Good way to ruin your pans.
I found this book on a friend's shelf, and picked it up to look for a simple recipe I could try, to find out if the book was worth buying. I was puzzled by references in each recipe to "save the juices for deglazing the pan". Deglazing?
Published on Jan. 15 1998

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't even ask to borrow it!, Jan. 6 2002
Tim Michael (Kaohsiung Taiwan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roasting-A Simple Art (Hardcover)
When we moved to Asia last fall I had to get rid of half my cookbooks and many of my pans... but there was no way I was going to let go of "Roasting" or my non-stick roaster! I have roasted three Thanksgiving turkeys -- two fresh birds, as Kafka recommends, and one frozen (turkey's hard to come by in Taiwan) -- and all three came out BEAUTIFULLY. What was the brouhaha all about?
When I first bought the book I roasted a lot of meat: pork loin, chickens, lamb shanks--all were excellent. Now I find myself turning more often to the vegetable section; I especially like to roast a pan of mixed veggies (Kafka gives a table for timing them all perfectly) to serve as an appetizer and in my own recipe for a hearty, flavorful soup that even my vegan friends can enjoy. Her recipes for left-overs are so tempting I roast with a week's worth of meals in mind.
I have given this book as a gift, and shared recipes with guests who love the food. I have no complaints about the mess. Maybe it's my non-stick pan--cast-iron works great, too--but I have had no problem with too much smoke (a little is to be expected), encrusted pans, or a filthy oven afterwards.
If you like to cook, and if you like to serve and eat great meals even more, you have to try this one out. Kafka makes it fun & easy, and she makes you laugh -- I love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A TRUE DEFINITIVE GUIDE!, Jan. 9 2001
Michael Marler "mikemarl" (Palm Springs, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roasting-A Simple Art (Hardcover)
I wasn't sure about the high heat method at first but I am now a true believer. It is the best way to roast most things. The basic roast chicken, the rosemary pork and the recipes for roasting potatoes are frequently relied upon quick but delicious dinner solutions. My absolute favorite is the New York Steak roast! The Prime-Rib recipe offers an excellent timing guide as well. Yes, you can get smoke in your kitchen and dirty pans. Just make sure you start with a clean oven and a good quality roasting pan of the type recommended in the book. Any smoke and mess is well worth it for the flavor trade-off. The problems can be mostly avoided with a decent kitchen exhaust sytem (or an open window or door), a self-cleaning oven and deglazing the pan properly. Try this method of roasting, you'll love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Chicken I have ever made!, Dec 16 1999
This review is from: Roasting-A Simple Art (Hardcover)
A few days ago I made the absolute best roast chicken I have ever had. My family raved about it. The butter-lemon-garlic inside the bird made it great. I made two together since one chicken is never enough if you want leftovers. The bad side is after back breaking scrubbing - my almost new oven is still dirty. A new professional Viking and NO self cleaning! I loved the chicken but don't think I can go through this hard work every time. I still don't know what else to try to clean off what's left in there. She recommends lining the bottom of the oven with foil but the Viking info I have says NOT to do that. Has anyone else lined the bottom of their oven with foil and not had problems with heat distribution? I also made the New York Strip Roast and that too was out of this world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something you must have in your cooking library!, Jan. 28 1998
mcmateo@pacbell.net (San Mateo, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roasting-A Simple Art (Hardcover)
This cookbook is not for those with a fear of cooking! With average temperatures just shy of inferno and the potential to so utterly destroy your main course that no quantity of scraping and salt is going to ressurect it (regardless of what your mother say's), these recipes are a high risk proposition. However, the rewards are well worth it. Kafka's tarragon chicken will remind you that chicken breast can be moist and flavorful, and her pork loin with onion and rubarb sauce will make your guest think you've been professionally trained. With a well calibrated oven, a good set of Pyrex casserole pans, and a scrubbing sponge with green abrasive, you will have great success with this cookbook: it is absolutely one of the best references in my library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Profoundly changed my relationship with the oven, Nov. 26 2001
J. C. Cabanillas III "El Kabong" (Costa Mesa, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roasting-A Simple Art (Hardcover)
I learned to cook in my teenage years, and learned a lot of things from my parents, my grandmother, and from cookbooks. However, I have never come across a cookbook that changed my outlook on cooking more than this one. After hearing Barbara Kafka on the radio, I bought a copy as an impulse buy. After reading the book and trying out a couple of recipies, I was hooked. It is the only cookbook that I proselytize about, and I have provided copies to several family members and friends. Perfect meats and vegetables - every time. Juicier meat than I ever had been able to cook in the oven before. A profound change in the way I prepare foods.
Try it - you will never look at your oven in the same way again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good way to ruin your pans., Jan. 15 1998
This review is from: Roasting-A Simple Art (Hardcover)
Well. I looked up to the front of the book, and found that, by "deglazing", she meant "softening up the fat and juice burnt onto the pan to the point where you might be able to scrape it off". So, basically, her simple cooking technique means you move your time investment from cooking time to cleaning time. Not a win in my book: cooking is fun; cleaning is dull. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great general resource, March 2 1998
This review is from: Roasting-A Simple Art (Hardcover)
I have had nothing but success with every recipe I've tried from Roasting. Moist roasted chicken, a wonderful Thanksgiving turkey (18 lb roasted to perfection in just over 2 hours), a marvelous leg of lamb, and a great assortment of lovely roasted vegetables. This is my single true souce for roasting information. However, this is not a cookbook for folks who want to put something in the oven and forget about it. Roasting at high temperature requires you to pay attention to the temperature of your oven and the time elapsed more carefully. I have yet to actually burn anything, as long as I follow the directions closely.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best cookbook ever, May 6 2000
This review is from: Roasting-A Simple Art (Hardcover)
All the complaints are bubkus. Yes, you get smoke - I recommend opening a window and turning on a fan. Yes, the pan gets caked with stuff, but deglazing gets it clean (or use a non-stick pan and clean-up will take two minutes). Everything I have made has been fantasic, guests have told me that I have "mastered cooking meat". After trying five different ways of cooking turkey, roasting is the only way I'll go now. My originally suspicious mother-in-law is asking for it for Mother's Day.

3.0 out of 5 stars Roasting - A pleasure best shared....., Oct. 7 2003
Kieron (Newcastle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roasting-A Simple Art (Hardcover)
There is nothing that compares to the simple visceral joy of a lovely roasting. Whether sharing with friends or colleagues there's nothing I like better, which is why I was so excited upon buying this book.
The variety and scale of techniques instructed in this book is really staggering and I feel far more competent in this simple art. I feel genuinely empowered to roast these days and it's all thanks to this book. The Double Stuffed Grosvenor Chicken is so good, it's criminal!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Compliments galore!, Oct. 27 1998
This review is from: Roasting-A Simple Art (Hardcover)
I'm new to cooking -- and this book has given me more confidence than anything yet -- people even ask me for the recipes! Especially find the "left-overs" and vegetables to work first time, every time; Roasted Plum Sauce has become a staple in my freezer. Having great roasting pans makes a difference in clean-up. I've come to an understanding with my smoke detector, I know the easiest way to soak and clean the pans, and I long for a self-cleaning oven.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Roasting-A Simple Art
Roasting-A Simple Art by Barbara Kafka (Hardcover - Sept. 22 1995)
CDN$ 34.95 CDN$ 21.91