5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars no question.....
Published on Feb. 1 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Roasting - A pleasure best shared.....
There is nothing that compares to the simple visceral joy of a lovely roasting. Whether sharing with friends or colleagues there's nothing I like better, which is why I was so excited upon buying this book.
Published on Oct. 7 2003 by Kieron

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Roasting - A pleasure best shared....., Oct. 7 2003
Kieron (Newcastle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Roasting-A Simple Art (Hardcover)
The variety and scale of techniques instructed in this book is really staggering and I feel far more competent in this simple art. I feel genuinely empowered to roast these days and it's all thanks to this book. The Double Stuffed Grosvenor Chicken is so good, it's criminal!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars no question....., Feb. 1 2002
Ce commentaire est de: Roasting-A Simple Art (Hardcover)
Really guys this book IS as good as advertised. I always say that her methods of roasting should be taught in high school. No other method is needed...So easy, so different, so beautiful each and every dish you cook from this masterpiece. I urge people I know to buy this and I KNOW they will love it! Read all these reviews and you can just feel the sincerity in everyones writing, this book is for real.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't even ask to borrow it!, Jan. 6 2002
Tim Michael (Kaohsiung Taiwan) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Roasting-A Simple Art (Hardcover)
When we moved to Asia last fall I had to get rid of half my cookbooks and many of my pans... but there was no way I was going to let go of "Roasting" or my non-stick roaster! I have roasted three Thanksgiving turkeys -- two fresh birds, as Kafka recommends, and one frozen (turkey's hard to come by in Taiwan) -- and all three came out BEAUTIFULLY. What was the brouhaha all about?
When I first bought the book I roasted a lot of meat: pork loin, chickens, lamb shanks--all were excellent. Now I find myself turning more often to the vegetable section; I especially like to roast a pan of mixed veggies (Kafka gives a table for timing them all perfectly) to serve as an appetizer and in my own recipe for a hearty, flavorful soup that even my vegan friends can enjoy. Her recipes for left-overs are so tempting I roast with a week's worth of meals in mind.
I have given this book as a gift, and shared recipes with guests who love the food. I have no complaints about the mess. Maybe it's my non-stick pan--cast-iron works great, too--but I have had no problem with too much smoke (a little is to be expected), encrusted pans, or a filthy oven afterwards.
If you like to cook, and if you like to serve and eat great meals even more, you have to try this one out. Kafka makes it fun & easy, and she makes you laugh -- I love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Profoundly changed my relationship with the oven, Nov. 26 2001
J. C. Cabanillas III "El Kabong" (Costa Mesa, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Roasting-A Simple Art (Hardcover)
I learned to cook in my teenage years, and learned a lot of things from my parents, my grandmother, and from cookbooks. However, I have never come across a cookbook that changed my outlook on cooking more than this one. After hearing Barbara Kafka on the radio, I bought a copy as an impulse buy. After reading the book and trying out a couple of recipies, I was hooked. It is the only cookbook that I proselytize about, and I have provided copies to several family members and friends. Perfect meats and vegetables - every time. Juicier meat than I ever had been able to cook in the oven before. A profound change in the way I prepare foods.
Try it - you will never look at your oven in the same way again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smoke up., Jan. 20 2001
TwoPoodles (Tulsa, OK USA) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Roasting-A Simple Art (Hardcover)
I'll admit to being skeptical about this book. but after reading all the reviews decided to give it a shot. It is in a word....terrific. My roast chickens are beautiful without all the effort I was going to with my other recipes, marinade, roast upside down. I'd tried everything. And roast meats are no longer a project to plan for. I can't wait to try the shrimp recipes. Start out with a clean oven, close the door, and wait for perfection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A TRUE DEFINITIVE GUIDE!, Jan. 9 2001
Michael Marler "mikemarl" (Palm Springs, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Roasting-A Simple Art (Hardcover)
I wasn't sure about the high heat method at first but I am now a true believer. It is the best way to roast most things. The basic roast chicken, the rosemary pork and the recipes for roasting potatoes are frequently relied upon quick but delicious dinner solutions. My absolute favorite is the New York Steak roast! The Prime-Rib recipe offers an excellent timing guide as well. Yes, you can get smoke in your kitchen and dirty pans. Just make sure you start with a clean oven and a good quality roasting pan of the type recommended in the book. Any smoke and mess is well worth it for the flavor trade-off. The problems can be mostly avoided with a decent kitchen exhaust sytem (or an open window or door), a self-cleaning oven and deglazing the pan properly. Try this method of roasting, you'll love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars minute to learn, lifetime to master, Jan. 3 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Roasting-A Simple Art (Hardcover)
I recieved this book about two years ago and it has consistently provided excellent recipes for both meat and vegetables. Through this book, I can actually make a piece of meat that is neither raw nor burned. The recipes are easy to follow, thorough but still sophisticated enough that you feel that the book is a cook book - not an instruction or how-to manual (cooking meat for dummies?).

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth finding an additional 2nd hand oven, July 5 2000
Ce commentaire est de: Roasting-A Simple Art (Hardcover)
I too, even with such delicious results wondered if it was worth the labor intensive cleanup of my oven and the smoke. Since this type of high heat roasting yields such delectable results due to the caramelization going on, a used 2nd hand oven (gas) hooked OUTSIDE for this purpose is what I aim to do. High heat roasting as Barbara Kafka recommends yields the most delicious results. Love the cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best cookbook ever, May 6 2000
Ce commentaire est de: Roasting-A Simple Art (Hardcover)
All the complaints are bubkus. Yes, you get smoke - I recommend opening a window and turning on a fan. Yes, the pan gets caked with stuff, but deglazing gets it clean (or use a non-stick pan and clean-up will take two minutes). Everything I have made has been fantasic, guests have told me that I have "mastered cooking meat". After trying five different ways of cooking turkey, roasting is the only way I'll go now. My originally suspicious mother-in-law is asking for it for Mother's Day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roasting, a Simple Art, Barbara Kafka, Jan. 20 2000
James J. Skelly (South Orange, New Jersey) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Roasting-A Simple Art (Hardcover)
Without doubt one of the best cookbooks I have ever read. And I mean READ. Kafka's writing style is as comforting as the food she teaches you to prepare. The roast chicken, lamb, rib roast (rare, but not Saxon pillage), beef fillet...one better than the next. Makes a bit of a mess but cooking is an art and some energy needs to be expended. Lent the book to a friend about a month ago. I think she changed her phone number so I couldn't call her to get it back!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Roasting-A Simple Art
Roasting-A Simple Art by Barbara Kafka (Hardcover - Sept. 22 1995)
CDN$ 34.95 CDN$ 21.91