5.0 out of 5 stars A Reliable Baking Book
I am skeptical of most of the cookbooks that are based on PBS TV cooking shows, plus some of Julia Child's early cookbooks had many recipes that were involved and difficult for the casual home cook to do. This book, however, is a reliable resource that you can depend on for baked goods in your home oven.
The most important feature of this book is that all of the...
Published on Feb. 26 2004 by jerry i h

3.0 out of 5 stars Way too time-consuming for my lifestyle
Published on Aug. 9 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars A Reliable Baking Book, Feb. 26 2004
jerry i h (Berkeley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baking With Julia (Hardcover)
The most important feature of this book is that all of the recipes are written by professional bakers (of whom there are some 2 dozen or so, some you will recognize, all are seasoned bakers from various commercial settings), and the recipes are scaled-down versions of reliable production recipes. The instructions are exemplary in their detail and completeness. All things considered, this is also an excellent learning tool for the beginner. When I need to learn something new (such as rugelach or naan), this is one of the first books I reach for.
The first chapter has an extensive section on basic techniques and words that you do not usually get in even a good baking book. It has some basic recipes that must be mastered before you go on to the recipes in the rest of the book, like genoise or meringue. It also has chapters on bread (Daily; Artisanal, Flatbreads), breakfast goods and quick breads, cakes (Everyday, Showstoppers, Wedding Cake, Cookies), and pastries (Pies, Grand, Savory). It has a good selection of all the major categories you are likely to want to do at home.

4.0 out of 5 stars That last post is nutty!, Nov. 7 1997
This review is from: Baking With Julia (Hardcover)
I was just reading through the reviews of Baking with Julia, which I own and use, and I saw the person whose review appears above mine, who hates this book. But -- see, it didn't ring true to me, because I've made the cheesecake and I knew the recipe in this book isn't the one s/he quotes. So I double-checked it and I was right: there's no sweetened condensed milk in the cheesecake recipe in Baking with Julia. So I don't know what kind of axe this person has to grind. Because I really like this book. Innovation? Oh my god, there's this recipe for gingerbread that has espresso and black pepper in it. And there's a sage cake -- forget it, this isn't stuff I've found in any other baking book. My only complaint is that it's kind of hard -- like everything Julia does. You really challenge yourself every time you make anything in this book. But that's good. For me, anyway. I just wanted to add my two cents, as a member of Generation X (who can spell, I might add.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Atlas for Baking Techniques, Nov. 7 2003
B. Marold "Bruce W. Marold" (Bethlehem, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baking With Julia (Hardcover)
As other reviewers have said, this volume is one of the most frequently consulted books in my library of over 250 cookbooks. I began baking from it just because it was my latest book on baking. Then, I began toing to it when the results of baking recipies found in other books did not pan out as well as I expected. It was also directly responsible for my acquiring a heavy duty KitchenAid stand mixer, although I was able to quite successfully do recipes involving some heavy duty dough even without the mixer. But, the mixer did make it easier.
One of the primary lessons I learned from my comparing recipes in this book to other books is that these recipes are fully up to professional bakers' standards. No dumbing down here. My best evidence is when I tried making cinnamon buns using two other recipies and the results were simply inferior to what one could buy from Entenmens at the supermarket I then made the same product using the Child recipe and I produced definitely superior results.
Please be aware that these recipes were not developed by Julia Child and Julia Child did not write the book. This does not detract from the quality of the book, just the quality of the credit. The writer, Dorrie Greenspan, has done several other books on baking, all with a very high quality. Julia's collaborators, all major talents in baking, include such stars as Nick Malgieri, do nothing but increase the value of the volume.
This book is at it's best as an introduction to all the different types of baking for a person who has time to deal with the finer points of baking things like artisnal breads and sticky buns. Yes, a stand mixer is recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic lessons, but do not attempt without a Kitchenaid., Feb. 10 2002
This review is from: Baking With Julia (Hardcover)
This book goes far beyond recipes, it contains comprehensive lessons in baking. Within each recipe, many paragraphs are devoted to the techniques, and sometimes chemistry, that makes the recipe work. But as you'll find out from reading a few of the recipes, or just watching the PBS series, you won't get very far without a Kitchenaid stand mixer. You'll be hard pressed to find even a handful of recipes that don't contain the words "in the bowl of a heavy duty mixer..." That said, with a Kitchenaid, you'll be on your way to a world of delicious and often easy to make cakes, breads and pastries. I cannot even imagine attempting some of these without one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Way too time-consuming for my lifestyle, Aug. 9 1999
This review is from: Baking With Julia (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful book for impressing your guests with interesting recipes. However, I was hoping to find a good book with recipes for a variety of breads. This book has good explanations of techniques and ingredients. There are way too many "artisan" style breads like Bialys, Nan and Challah. Many recipes also use a starter. I prefer to grab ingredients off the shelf to make herb, wheat, foccacia, irish soda bread, etc. This book includes those also, but I'm afraid I paid too much for a book that didn't have many practical recipes. The sections other than breads were the same way... too time-consuming and complicated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, Aug. 4 2003
jumpy1 (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baking With Julia (Hardcover)
I just want to say for the bad reviews in here, that I've made some things in here 2x, and one time they came out perfect, another not. Indeed, some of the techniques are so specific that if your oven temperature is 10 degrees off or the dough rises an extra 1/2 hour, it makes all the difference in the end result. Anyway, I love cookbooks where the chefs tell the truth and don't give bogus recipes -- this is one of them! I would make changes to suit my own taste of course, but this is a reliable book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book for learning classic techniques in baking., Sept. 25 1998
This review is from: Baking With Julia (Hardcover)
Baking basic batters and doughs is the subject that is given the combination of expert skill and knowledge acquired in the culinary arts over years of experience. If you are an individual who thrives on instant gratification and does not want to take the time to learn the basic foundation techniques of quality baking then this book may not be for you. The book covers breads, cakes, and sweet and savory pastries. The instructions have carefully been written with great detail so even the novice baker can increase his or her skill level. Recipes range from the simple galette,which by the way is excellent, to a labor intensive but glorious wedding cake.A variety of techniques ranging from beginner level to accomplished baker allows anyone interested in baking to improve their skills. I have been working on my culinary skills for 30 years and own over 100 different cookbooks. This book ranks within the top 5 of my collection. It has allowed me to fine tune many classic techniques. My Brioche, biscotti,, biscuits, danish pastry and pecan sticky buns have been elevated to rival any quality baker. Culinary professionals like Flo Braker, Nancy Silverton, Marcel Desaulniers, and Marion Cunningham are just a few of the many talented and giving individuals who contribute to make this the qulaity book that it is.Dorie Greenspan's writing skills set this book apart from others in that it is the standard from which all quality instructional cookbooks should be compared. If you want to learn how the experts bake and not have to leave your own kitchen to do it, this is the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars If you could only eat the pages..., Dec 2 2001
This review is from: Baking With Julia (Hardcover)
But you can't, you have to end up with an edible dessert from following these recipes and so far...NOTHING WORKS! Muffins refuse to come out of the pan, cakes don't cook all the way through and end up as glop...It's not my oven, because the desserts I've made from Pierre Herme's book have come out perfectly. Who'd ever think an Herme book would work better than a Julia Child book? I'm a little flummoxed since Ms. Greenspan was involved in both books. What gives?

5.0 out of 5 stars An Extraordinary Kind of Baking Cookbook, Dec 8 2001
This review is from: Baking With Julia (Hardcover)
Having used this book on a weekly basis for the past year, I recommend this book to bakers at all levels. The book is a multi-contributed book, with Julia Child at the helm and aptly unified by Dorie Greenspan's clear and engaging writing style.
I spent the greater part of this year working on breadmaking techniques from the artisanal bread section - while techniques take time to master, I received a remarkable education from this book. The basic white bread and focaccia recipes are simple and wonderful to make on your own.
If you're serious about baking, this book provides the basis for your advancement into any number of specialized areas: breads, pastries, cookies, cakes, even chocolate. Not only are the recipes very well selected, but the photographs are gorgeously photographed by Gentl & Hyers (who also photographed Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Pie & Pastry Bible), including some very nice candid shots (mise en scene/mise en place) in the kitchen. I haven't come across many other cookbooks of this calibre since.

The recipes range from the simplest Irish Soda Bread, to the most elaborate Glorious Wedding Cake. Not all recipes are as complex as the wedding cake recipe - this particular recipe contributed by Martha Stewart is one that seems oddly out of place in a cookbook. However - it is truly a great study on how tiered cakes are layered and put together, and decorated. (The wedding cake is essentially a dense almond pound cake, which can probably be scaled down to a much more manageable session)
The "soul" of this cookbook comes from the section at the beginning titled "Batters and Doughs - The Basics." If you never baked anything from the book, at least go through all 8 recipes once or twice. As the introduction notes, these are the building blocks upon which hundreds of pastry and cake recipes are based. If you can accomplish the following, you can call yourself an accomplished baker: flaky pie dough, choux paste, meringue, genoise (3 versions), brioche, puff pastry, danish pastry, croissant dough. I've recently accomplished the brioche dough, and it's become a favorite quickly, as a simple loaf or as the basis for Pecan Sticky Buns.
This book has a companion web site featuring the original television series "Baking with Julia" on PBS, complete with video clips of the bakers at work. If there was ever an opportunity to purchase all 39 episodes (with 27 bakers!) on DVD, I'd be the first on line... Bon Appetit

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the Novice, May 16 2001
This review is from: Baking With Julia (Hardcover)
I have made everything in this book except the wedding cake. I believe a good deal of the recipes have been demonstrated on television on the "Cooking with Julia" series. The reason I am thinking this book is not for the novice is that the recipes are rather complicated and have an assumption that the baker knows what "normal" looks like. For instance, they admonish the baker not to freak when the brioche dough takes a turn for the worst while combining. Well, if you have never baked a loaf of bread you would not be looking for the hallmarks of a good loaf. I have also found that their recipes are more complicated than necessary. I have made naan for years and the recipe is incredibly simple. Theirs, on the other hand, is pretty complex and, frankly, not quite as good. Ditto for the fougasse. Get your hands on a Betty Crocker cookbook if you are not an avid baker. If you are a bread fanatic, I heartily recommend "Whole Grain Breads By Machine or Hand". The author of this book is a contributer to Julia's baking book. This book is tops for bread making and is easy as... pie!

Baking With Julia
Baking With Julia by Julia Child (Hardcover - Nov. 4 1996)
CDN$ 44.00 CDN$ 27.59