biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night vd2016beauty Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on March 19, 2001
I think this is wonderful. I am a bsuy person who likes to eat well. I enjoy a bit of diversity and excitement in my food and this cookbook allows me to venture out of the"Box". Everything is very tasty, easy to prepare and comes to the table in rapid time thanks to the pressure cooker. I have been a lover of pressure cookers for many years and Lorna Sass makes it a wonderful tool.
on May 21, 2000
Because Lorna Sass was considered to be the queen of pressure cooking, my family gave me this cookbook and "The Pressure Cooker Cookbook" by Toula Patsalis when I first got my pressure cooker. I found Lorna Sass's recipes to have clearer instructions and a higher success rate.
Since then, I have become addicted to "Split Pea Soup with Smoked Turkey", page 91! The "Smoked Turkey Risotto with Corn and Roasted Red Pepper" on page 93 was also tasty, but it seemed like a lot of work to end up with what resembled an adult macaroni and cheese.
I was grateful that Lorna Sass's book included a full repertoire of pressure cooker basics: various stocks, beans and rice, plus beef stew. Sass's chicken stock had the same list of ingredients as in "Joy of Cooking", but the broth was more gelatinous due to the pressure cooker. That was a mixed blessing, because I had always enjoyed "Joy of Cooking"'s version as a chicken soup, using extra chicken pieces to thicken the broth, but adding back the chicken meat and the still recognizable vegetables to have a soup verging on stew. The pressure cooker version turned the vegetables to mush, but my husband was delighted that I added some egg noodles instead to the soup.
All in all, the book combines basic and sexy recipes, with a high probability of success. Isn't that just what a first pressure cooker cookbook should offer?
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse