5.0 out of 5 stars Great variety of recipes
Published on Jan. 20 2004 by S. Bradford

3.0 out of 5 stars Tons of Recipes, But a Poor Cookbook
This is a recipe book that reads like your mother's recipe cards: lists of ingredients and how to combine them, but nothing about the technique or the science of what you're trying to make. You couldn't find a better book of recipies for ice cream. But if you want to know the whys and hows of ice cream making, this is a poor excuse for a cookbook.
Recipies, recipies,...
Published on June 14 2001 by Dan

5.0 out of 5 stars Great variety of recipes, Jan. 20 2004
S. Bradford "scottfbradford" (Arlington, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ultimate Ice Cream Book: Over 500 Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, Drinks, And More (Paperback)
I own this book and Ben and Jerry's and I like them both. However, this one is my favorite because it is more comprehensive. It is also nicely organized by recipe. Many flavors will have recipe variations listed below the main recipe. The Ben and Jerry's book is quite old and only has a few of their popular flavors which are listed under generic names and not the names sold in stores. If I did it over again, I would save some money and only get this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Addictive Ice Cream Book, July 26 2003
By A Customer
I don't usually share my thoughts about cookbooks that I buy, but I have to say that this book is truly addictive. When I first started making the ice creams in the book I stuck to the recipes that didn't require eggs. The author calls them Philadelphia style, but my family calls them delicious. All the ingredients called for are fresh. Fresh berries, fresh peaches, fresh cream. I like it that the strawberry ice cream requires so few ingredients. But my husband grew up eating frozen custard so I decided to try a few of the recipes that required a little more cooking. Beat the eggs, add the sugar, beat in some flour or cornstarch to help thicken the custard, heat the milk - it scared me at first, I'm not a great cook. But I did it. The custard was rich and smooth. Then came the fresh fruit. We're totally addicted. And it's nice knowing that there's nothing artificial going into our ice cream and frozen custards. I also like the fact that all the eggs we eat are being cooked first. After reading a few of the reviews here, I decided to try an experiment. So many people said they were staying away from the odd flavors, so I made some - sweet potato and green tea. We're hooked. They're so good. Someone else said you shouldn't add flour to ice. I made the mint ice cream recipe from this book without adding the cornstarch as the recipe called for. The ice cream was icy, grainy is what my husband called it. So I made it again just as the recipe required and it was perfect and has become an instant staple in our freezer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Icy delight, May 3 2004
Very few commercial ice creams can stand up to homemade. Oh, I know. I have my commercial favorites too. When you make your own, however, you're in control of everything. Too sweet? Cut down the sugar a little. Too rich? Substitute half and half or milk for some of the cream. You want a flavor that doesn't come in the stores? Then it's time to bite the bullet and make your own.

You'll find details on ice cream machines in this book, as well as the differences between (and pros and cons of) ice cream made with and without eggs, details on flavoring ice creams, and tips for making "mix-ins" (cookies, crackers, etc.) that'll stay crunchy longer. You'll even find three recipes for ice cream cones in here!
This cookbook packs a lot of punch into a surprisingly small amount of space. Let's use Pumpkin Ice Cream as an example. Below it you have four variations listed: Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream, Pumpkin Raisin Ice Cream, Pumpkin Rum Ice Cream, and Pumpkin Seed Ice Cream. Mr. Weinstein could have done this a number of ways. He could have printed up a new recipe for each variation. He could have left them out entirely. Or he could have put the traditional paragraph of "oh, and you could try adding this, and this, or this." In the first case you pay more for a cookbook that could have been smaller. In the middle case, we would have been bereft of many extra fantastic recipes. In the last case, when we sat down to pick a recipe and make out our grocery list, we would have failed to read the last paragraph, and we'd eternally find ourselves saying "Oh, next time," without ever making the variations. So this is PERFECT. I wish more cookbooks did this. The variations are 1-3 sentence quick directions, but easy to pick out and implement. They're also listed as individual recipes in the index, so you won't have trouble finding them if you lose them.

You'll find a fantastic array of flavors. Apple Butter Ice Cream, for instance. Avocado Ice Cream, with a Gazpacho recipe to accompany it--I guess you can eat ice cream for dinner! The Banana Ice Cream and the Banana Ice Cream Philadelphia Style (no eggs) come with a stunning array of variations. When Mr. Weinstein suggests Bubble Gum Ice Cream, he even provides the toll-free number of a company that sells bubble gum flavoring! Now that's service for you. The book also includes sorbets, granitas, toppings, and ice cream drinks.
In all, this is the best ice cream book I've ever laid my hands on, and we have at least four such cookbooks. Mr. Weinstein has created a true treasure of ice cream creation, and deserves no less than a full five stars for his glorious work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tons of Recipes, But a Poor Cookbook, June 14 2001
Dan (West Hollywood, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Recipies, recipies, recipies!--not only for chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry, but for corn, avocado, and oatmeal--this is certainly the right book for those looking for variety. Weinstein has done a fabulous job in assembling old-fashioned favorites as well as nouvelle experiments. His inventiveness of new flavors is as delightful as the astonishing accuracy with which he recreates ice cream parlour favorites.
The problem I have with the book is that it's extremely lacking in every other aspect you expect from a good cookbook. Weinstein never discusses the cooking and prep technique he presents. You'd think ice cream was impossible without a food processor, which he calls for in almost every recipe (but you can easily make these recipies without it). He never mentions why I must boil the milk and later strain the mixture (You don't really, unless you're using unpasturized milk). And why must I refrigerate the ice cream before putting it in the ice cream maker? (Okay, maybe that's not so mysterious.) I also became suspicious when I found a recipe for choloclate ice cream (there are many) that calls for cocoa but never for salt. (Salt almost always improves the taste of cocoa and would have the added benefit of lowering the freezing point of your confection, helping it not to freeze solid if you cure it in the freezer.)
Finally, dispite the impressive quantity of recipes, you won't find a single one for gelato. In fact, Weinstein implies in his introduction that ice cream and gelato are basically the same. While it's true they are both custards, gelato never contains cream, so the taste and texture is entirely different. But perhaps that's a fair omission in a book on ice cream.
The book seems to be written for people who want to make a fine frozen custard, but who would never make such a thing if they knew it was called that. Just do what the book says and no one will get hurt. You won't really learn anything about what you're cooking, but you won't embarrass yourself either.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book of recipes for frozen treats, Jan. 28 2003
audrey (white mtns) - See all my reviews
We bought this book along with several others when we got our Cuisinart ice cream maker a couple of years ago, and this is the book we turn to most frequently. Results are consistently good and ideas in the book are creative and help you begin to make up your own recipes.
There are recipes here for ice cream, sorbets and granitas, ice cream toppings, drinks like malts, shakes and sodas, and even a section on how to make your own cones! There are over 100 pages devoted to ice creams, each taking one or two pages for the basic recipe and a number of variants; for example, the peach ice cream entry also contains recipes for peach ginger, peach macaroon, peach melba and peach thyme ice cream. I have tried over twenty of these recipes and have been very happy with them all.
Great resource to go with your small ice cream maker.

4.0 out of 5 stars GIFT, Oct. 3 2013
Linda Dinning (Pickering, Ontario, CA) - See all my reviews
I bought this item as a gift to accompany a Frozen Yogurt/Ice cream maker. Very good book with lots of recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything You Need To Make Great Ice Cream In One Book, March 7 2003
By A Customer
Let's just start by saying that the ice cream recipes in this book are fantastic. The basic flavors all there and the variations that follow each one range from the simple (dried cranberries in the vanilla) to the sublime (dates and crumbled biscotti added to fig ice cream). Then there are the sorbets - fantastic and varied. Some of these recipes are clearly sherbets as the author has added egg whites (meringues) to some of the recipes (try the lemon for instance) and milk to others (go for the banana). But he calls them all sorbets. Who cares when they all taste so great. And the toppings are wonderful, I make the marshmallow topping all the time. If you want to make every kind of ice cream and sorbet (and sherbet) you can imagine, I highly suggest you buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars still the best ice cream book ev er, Feb. 28 2004
By A Customer
i've had this book for three years and it's the only ice cream book i ever use. i have others including ben and jerry's, but so many of ben and jerry's recipes use raw eggs which is not safe. and they don't give alternative ways to cook them. mr weinstein on the other hand, cooks all of the eggs that go into his custard based ice creams and that's important. but weinstein also has recipes for ice cream without eggs which are just as rich and delicious. i've bought this book for everyone i know with an ice cream maker and i've bought it along with an ice cream maker as a gift for friends that don't have either one. i guess i'm not alone - just read the rest of the reviews here, when i say the i think this is the best and only ice cream book for sale worth having.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring & bland!, Aug. 4 2001
Dan of West Hollywood has written a great & accurate review of this cookbook. I feel even more negatively than he about this book. I bought it because I was looking for an ice cream "Bible" cookbook. Maybe if you're a suburban soccer mom with a large team's worth of mouths to feed this would be a great book. But if you've been making ice cream for several yrs. & want to be challenged to greater heights of ice cream making; or you have a bit more sophisticated palette, I wouldn't buy this book.
Why are there no chocolate ice cream recipes asking for real chocolate (instead of cocoa)? Why do all vanilla recipes require liquid vanilla and not the far superior vanilla bean pod? Why do fruit recipes call for canned, rather than fresh fruit? Why does cherry ice cream call for cherry syrup, when a fresh cherry's natural juices make the best syrup you can buy? I could go on and on.
If you're getting started in ice cream making this book is a good start. If not, go elsewhere. BTW, I'm still looking for the ice cream bible so if anyone has recommendations...
Richard

1.0 out of 5 stars Not ready to review!, June 18 2014
I have not used enough out of the book to review and give my opinion on yet! Yogurt comes out to hard.

CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.16