5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Addictive Ice Cream Book
Published on July 26 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Tons of Recipes, But a Poor Cookbook
This is a recipe book that reads like your mother's recipe cards: lists of ingredients and how to combine them, but nothing about the technique or the science of what you're trying to make. You couldn't find a better book of recipies for ice cream. But if you want to know the whys and hows of ice cream making, this is a poor excuse for a cookbook.
Recipies, recipies,...
Published on June 14 2001 by Dan

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Addictive Ice Cream Book, July 26 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Ultimate Ice Cream Book: Over 500 Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, Drinks, And More (Paperback)
I don't usually share my thoughts about cookbooks that I buy, but I have to say that this book is truly addictive. When I first started making the ice creams in the book I stuck to the recipes that didn't require eggs. The author calls them Philadelphia style, but my family calls them delicious. All the ingredients called for are fresh. Fresh berries, fresh peaches, fresh cream. I like it that the strawberry ice cream requires so few ingredients. But my husband grew up eating frozen custard so I decided to try a few of the recipes that required a little more cooking. Beat the eggs, add the sugar, beat in some flour or cornstarch to help thicken the custard, heat the milk - it scared me at first, I'm not a great cook. But I did it. The custard was rich and smooth. Then came the fresh fruit. We're totally addicted. And it's nice knowing that there's nothing artificial going into our ice cream and frozen custards. I also like the fact that all the eggs we eat are being cooked first. After reading a few of the reviews here, I decided to try an experiment. So many people said they were staying away from the odd flavors, so I made some - sweet potato and green tea. We're hooked. They're so good. Someone else said you shouldn't add flour to ice. I made the mint ice cream recipe from this book without adding the cornstarch as the recipe called for. The ice cream was icy, grainy is what my husband called it. So I made it again just as the recipe required and it was perfect and has become an instant staple in our freezer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great variety of recipes, Jan. 20 2004
S. Bradford "scottfbradford" (Arlington, VA USA) - See all my reviews
I own this book and Ben and Jerry's and I like them both. However, this one is my favorite because it is more comprehensive. It is also nicely organized by recipe. Many flavors will have recipe variations listed below the main recipe. The Ben and Jerry's book is quite old and only has a few of their popular flavors which are listed under generic names and not the names sold in stores. If I did it over again, I would save some money and only get this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Icy delight, May 3 2004
Very few commercial ice creams can stand up to homemade. Oh, I know. I have my commercial favorites too. When you make your own, however, you're in control of everything. Too sweet? Cut down the sugar a little. Too rich? Substitute half and half or milk for some of the cream. You want a flavor that doesn't come in the stores? Then it's time to bite the bullet and make your own.

You'll find details on ice cream machines in this book, as well as the differences between (and pros and cons of) ice cream made with and without eggs, details on flavoring ice creams, and tips for making "mix-ins" (cookies, crackers, etc.) that'll stay crunchy longer. You'll even find three recipes for ice cream cones in here!
This cookbook packs a lot of punch into a surprisingly small amount of space. Let's use Pumpkin Ice Cream as an example. Below it you have four variations listed: Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream, Pumpkin Raisin Ice Cream, Pumpkin Rum Ice Cream, and Pumpkin Seed Ice Cream. Mr. Weinstein could have done this a number of ways. He could have printed up a new recipe for each variation. He could have left them out entirely. Or he could have put the traditional paragraph of "oh, and you could try adding this, and this, or this." In the first case you pay more for a cookbook that could have been smaller. In the middle case, we would have been bereft of many extra fantastic recipes. In the last case, when we sat down to pick a recipe and make out our grocery list, we would have failed to read the last paragraph, and we'd eternally find ourselves saying "Oh, next time," without ever making the variations. So this is PERFECT. I wish more cookbooks did this. The variations are 1-3 sentence quick directions, but easy to pick out and implement. They're also listed as individual recipes in the index, so you won't have trouble finding them if you lose them.

You'll find a fantastic array of flavors. Apple Butter Ice Cream, for instance. Avocado Ice Cream, with a Gazpacho recipe to accompany it--I guess you can eat ice cream for dinner! The Banana Ice Cream and the Banana Ice Cream Philadelphia Style (no eggs) come with a stunning array of variations. When Mr. Weinstein suggests Bubble Gum Ice Cream, he even provides the toll-free number of a company that sells bubble gum flavoring! Now that's service for you. The book also includes sorbets, granitas, toppings, and ice cream drinks.
In all, this is the best ice cream book I've ever laid my hands on, and we have at least four such cookbooks. Mr. Weinstein has created a true treasure of ice cream creation, and deserves no less than a full five stars for his glorious work.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Formula to Success, Dec 21 2003
The first thing I noticed about this book is the use of a basic ice cream formula: mix sugar with eggs, heat milk and cream, mix heated milk and cream with sugar and eggs, return to heat, and so on. This formula, repeated for nearly every ice cream recipe with different amounts and ingredients, has never failed me, and every recipe I've made from this book has turned out perfectly. This use of this formula makes ice cream very easy to make, since you become acquainted with the recipes very quickly.
The second thing I noticed about this book is that the recipes range from the very simple (Vanilla, Chocolate) to the unusual (Oatmeal). There are also several recipes for ice creams made with spices, which I highly recommend. Weinstein also gives numerous suggestions for additional things to put in the ice cream, leaving much room for experimentation. For unusual and hard to find ingredients, Weinstein provides sources for buying the ingredients by mail.
Ice cream making has never been easier; ice cream has never tasted so good!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Scream for The Ultimate Ice Cream Book!, Aug. 15 2003
An ice-cream maker is an excellent tool to have in your kitchen. You can make such weird ice cream as black pepper vanilla ice cream, peach frozen yogurt, or even spinach sorbet. However, as neat as these choices sound and as entertaining they may be, "weird" just doesn't do for ice cream if the ice cream is not flavorful.

Here's where The Ultimate Ice Cream Book is more than helpful. From the simple recipes for ice cream cones to the explanations how ice cream should be made, what is Philadelphia style ice cream, and how to keep your eggs from clouding for regular ice cream, the book is a must if you have an ice cream maker. It provides hundreds of recipes with a lot of flavor and imagination. One of my favorite parts of the book is that each recipes has variations, so if you are concerned about certain ingredients because of a diet, allergies, or just personal choice, it is more than easy to still make excellent ice cream while avoiding what you don't like. Almost every recipe is accompanied by the egg-less Philadelphia style ice cream (which are faster to make), and every recipe has basic explanations what to do, so you don't have to keep flipping through the book while you're cooking.

Every single recipe I have used from this book yielded delicious ice cream. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book of recipes for frozen treats, Jan. 28 2003
audrey (white mtns) - See all my reviews
We bought this book along with several others when we got our Cuisinart ice cream maker a couple of years ago, and this is the book we turn to most frequently. Results are consistently good and ideas in the book are creative and help you begin to make up your own recipes.
There are recipes here for ice cream, sorbets and granitas, ice cream toppings, drinks like malts, shakes and sodas, and even a section on how to make your own cones! There are over 100 pages devoted to ice creams, each taking one or two pages for the basic recipe and a number of variants; for example, the peach ice cream entry also contains recipes for peach ginger, peach macaroon, peach melba and peach thyme ice cream. I have tried over twenty of these recipes and have been very happy with them all.
Great resource to go with your small ice cream maker.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great starter book, Sept. 26 2001
K. (United States) - See all my reviews
Having just gotten a Cuisinart ice cream maker..., I was looking for a cookbook that would get me started on the road to making great ice cream. This is the book. The ingredients are readily available and the instructions are clear. In fact, the instructions are pretty repetitious; once you've got the basics, it's primarily the ingredients that vary. Having made four ice creams for a party, I know what changes I want to try next time. For example, the book recommends using whole coffee beans for the coffee ice cream. I'm going to try cracking the beans slightly so that more coffee flavor can come through, but still be large enough to be "strainable." FYI, the ice creams were the hit of the party, particularly the over-cooked, over-frozen chocolate custard that ended up tasting like chocolate fudge. It was the first receipe I made and I wasn't sure how thick "til it thickens" should be. I ended up having to force it through a sieve. When I froze it, I let it go too long before checking and the mass had wrapped itself around the stirrer and peeled away from the cold freezer bowl. However, it still tasted great! Even when you mess up, this book gives you a good grounding in the basics, is easy to follow and encourages you to experiment with its long lists of variations on the different receipes. Have fun!

3.0 out of 5 stars Tons of Recipes, But a Poor Cookbook, June 14 2001
Dan (West Hollywood, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Recipies, recipies, recipies!--not only for chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry, but for corn, avocado, and oatmeal--this is certainly the right book for those looking for variety. Weinstein has done a fabulous job in assembling old-fashioned favorites as well as nouvelle experiments. His inventiveness of new flavors is as delightful as the astonishing accuracy with which he recreates ice cream parlour favorites.
The problem I have with the book is that it's extremely lacking in every other aspect you expect from a good cookbook. Weinstein never discusses the cooking and prep technique he presents. You'd think ice cream was impossible without a food processor, which he calls for in almost every recipe (but you can easily make these recipies without it). He never mentions why I must boil the milk and later strain the mixture (You don't really, unless you're using unpasturized milk). And why must I refrigerate the ice cream before putting it in the ice cream maker? (Okay, maybe that's not so mysterious.) I also became suspicious when I found a recipe for choloclate ice cream (there are many) that calls for cocoa but never for salt. (Salt almost always improves the taste of cocoa and would have the added benefit of lowering the freezing point of your confection, helping it not to freeze solid if you cure it in the freezer.)
Finally, dispite the impressive quantity of recipes, you won't find a single one for gelato. In fact, Weinstein implies in his introduction that ice cream and gelato are basically the same. While it's true they are both custards, gelato never contains cream, so the taste and texture is entirely different. But perhaps that's a fair omission in a book on ice cream.
The book seems to be written for people who want to make a fine frozen custard, but who would never make such a thing if they knew it was called that. Just do what the book says and no one will get hurt. You won't really learn anything about what you're cooking, but you won't embarrass yourself either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything You Need To Make Great Ice Cream In One Book, March 7 2003
By A Customer
Let's just start by saying that the ice cream recipes in this book are fantastic. The basic flavors all there and the variations that follow each one range from the simple (dried cranberries in the vanilla) to the sublime (dates and crumbled biscotti added to fig ice cream). Then there are the sorbets - fantastic and varied. Some of these recipes are clearly sherbets as the author has added egg whites (meringues) to some of the recipes (try the lemon for instance) and milk to others (go for the banana). But he calls them all sorbets. Who cares when they all taste so great. And the toppings are wonderful, I make the marshmallow topping all the time. If you want to make every kind of ice cream and sorbet (and sherbet) you can imagine, I highly suggest you buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Put that ice cream maker to work, Aug. 7 2002
Margaret Van Meter "cookiecorner2" (Ambler, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I have had an ice cream maker sitting on the shelf unused for about 10 years. I saw it and became "motivated" to use it. Actually, it was more like, "you never use this thing and I am going to put it in the garage sale". I bought this wonderful book for inspiration and I've been "inspired" about 3 pounds worth already. Time to switch to sorbets. The recipies are so easy and so good. The recipies all have variations, to dress up or change the formula and make it something different. The key lime becomes key lime pie with a simple addition. Wide range of choices from several versions of vanilla to the exotic. I bought a copy for a friend and gave it to her with a maker as a wedding present. She has made ice cream 5 times a week the last three weeks! Great ideas and it can also serve the more experienced cook as a jumping off point.
Thrifty, too. I used scraps from freezing fruit, followed the basic formula, and I'll bet my apricot sorbet can beat anything made by a commercial source. I even used it with my diet drink powder and made S--m F--t into an ice cream treat. You can control what goes into your product. Great for diabetics or other restricted diets. You can do non-dairy if you're lactose intolerant. Fun for kids, too. Let them help you invent variations. This book is a must-have for anybody who wants to make ice cream.

CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.16